Become a Patron!

I need help picking the safest batteries to Super SubOhm?

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Thee above...Summed up nicely with accurate information.

martnargh

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Vtc5a, vtc4 (my favorite), hb2/4/6, 25r.
I know they have all kinds of tests and charts with these but from my personal experience the best cells are sony's Vtc5a and vtc4. They take a load nicely, have decent mah, they will warm up a bit but not too bad.
Hb series to me are all the same. I see no noticeable difference between any of the versions or different color wraps (I've tried them all). They supply decent voltage under load, remain cooler than any other cell but have shit mah and don't last long. The Sony cells hit harder imo.
25r is sweet cause it can take the same kinda loads I push on them, they do get warm but nothing crazy and last the longest imo than even the 5a cells. Problem is I feel they're pretty weak. Voltage sags under load, making them useless for tubes (for me), I continue to use them but for series mechs only, I think that's where they shine.

Like I said there's a listed and well documented criteria for most batteries used in vaping including all the ones I mentioned by the best of the best and who I consider authority figures in battery statistics, like mooch, who I respect. That being said I don't run any cells according to their max continuous rating and usually I go far higher in amperage. Been doing so successfully for years, not trying to sway people to do thing differently, hope the resistance nazis decide not to fuck with me, they're always watching.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

NickIsANoob

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
I use HB6 and HB2 for my single battery tubes and was using them for series but I just ordered a pair of HD2C for series. I only use 25Rs for regulated boxes and prefer 30q for those.

I also exceed the batteries max continuous rating but I buy the safest batteries I can for the job. I don't care about battery life i only use mechs at home where I'm close to my charger and can swap frequently.

0.1ohm build only pulling 22 amps? Don't know what formula you are using but the most basic for mech's is Voltage/Resistance=Amps and a fresh charged battery is 4.2v

4.2v/0.1ohms=42amps
even at nominal rated voltage of 3.7v
3.7/0.1=37amps
22amps X 0.1ohms=2.2v <---Here is adding another level of dangerous, running a Liion 18650 below 2.5v deteriorating the cathode and anode copper into the electrolyte and risk internal micro-arcing

Go ahead, break out a calculator and double check the math

Your information on the VTC5 and HG2 are also skewed out of spec, VTC5 has always been 20amps, the VTC3 which everyone selling Sony Batteries back 2 or 3 years ago assumed the whole VTC line matched the VTC3's 30amp rating, but here in 2017 we've learned the 5 is 20, the VTC4 is about 23amps, and the VTC3 though rated at 30amps can really only achieve 28amp Continuous. The LG HG2, manufacturer rated at 20amp Continuous, independent professionally tested max 18amp CDR. For most intents and purposes for safety, most of us here preach using the CDR of a battery not their pulse discharge as there is not standard between manufacturers to actually be consistent what signifies a pulse discharge (examples 40amp pulse at 1/10th a second or 60amp pulse at 1/2 second before the battery wants to shift down to CDR without ramping up internal temperature and pressure), CDR is a known standard and can be reliably operated at the entire battery discharge.

Lowest build I suggest on a single battery mech is 0.25ohms, doesn't matter the battery used be it a 20amp Samsung 30Q to a 25amp Sony VTC5A to a 30amp LG HB6 as long as the battery has at least a 20amp CDR.
Dual Battery Parallel Mech Box in the 0.11 to 0.14 lowest
Dual Battery Series about 0.55ohm lowest

Sorry on the call, but as you stated, old thread or not, some new vaper will see it, needed to add some corrections and explain out my reasonings and where I base my opinion upon them for safety.

I was speaking on a parallel battery. My vtc5's were bought as 30A batteries. Unless sony is lying. My point here is that running Samsung 25r batteries at such a low ohm is dangerous. I also didn't mean to say the LG he2 was 30 amp. I own two and I know they are 20 amp and if you read earlier posts you will see I was saying I liked them better then my Samsung 25r batteries. I meant to say the LG hb6 is 30A but my auto correct changed it since I had typed LG he2 and LG he4 so many times and i didn't notice it. You are the first spot on post I read on this thread. I am interested to hear "if you know" why sony vtc5's are claiming to be 30amp but are only 20 amp. Also they claim the LG he4 to be 30amp so this is all the more confusing.. I watched a video from vape rippers in which he brought on a battery professional and he stated the vtc5 batteries were 20 amp continuous but 30 amp pulse. I also want to reference this,

https://www.vapinginsider.com/best-vape-battery/

Again, I want to state that I was only throwing numbers off the top of my head and the poster above is 100% accurate as it did go to steam engine and enter the numbers. You would be pushing your batteries to twice their amps at sick low ohm builds. You can also as I said before go to steam engine "or some of the new awesome apps out there", enter in your exact battery and ohms of your build and you will see if your build is safe or not. I personally try to stay above .2 ohms regardless and I have been vaping and building my own coils since it was possible. I would hate to see it end up banned because of unsafe vaping. It's safe to say, ignore my post before this one. Just research before you build low and keep your hands and teeth from getting blow off.

Last edited:
I was speaking on a parallel battery. My vtc5's were bought as 30A batteries. Unless sony is lying. My point here is that running Samsung 25r batteries at such a low ohm is dangerous. I also didn't mean to say the LG he2 was 30 amp. I own two and I know they are 20 amp and if you read earlier posts you will see I was saying I liked them better then my Samsung 25r batteries. I meant to say the LG hb6 is 30A but my auto correct changed it since I had typed LG he2 and LG he4 so many times and i didn't notice it. You are the first spot on post I read on this thread. I am interested to hear "if you know" why sony vtc5's are claiming to be 30amp but are only 20 amp. Also they claim the LG he4 to be 30amp so this is all the more confusing.. I watched a video from vape rippers in which he brought on a battery professional and he stated the vtc5 batteries were 20 amp continuous but 30 amp pulse. I also want to reference this,

https://www.vapinginsider.com/best-vape-battery/

Again, I want to state that I was only throwing numbers off the top of my head and the poster above is 100% accurate as it did go to steam engine and enter the numbers. You would be pushing your batteries to twice their amps at sick low ohm builds. You can also as I said before go to steam engine "or some of the new awesome apps out there", enter in your exact battery and ohms of your build and you will see if your build is safe or not. I personally try to stay above .2 ohms regardless and I have been vaping and building my own coils since it was possible. I would hate to see it end up banned because of unsafe vaping. It's safe to say, ignore my post before this one. Just research before you build low and keep your hands and teeth from getting blow off.

The battery professional you're saying his name is Mooch and he has the equipment to test batteries this guy is the only one you can trust so go check what he is saying and check the tests here is the link:
https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/blog-entry/list-of-battery-tests.7436/

And please stop calling the vtc5 as a 30A this isn't true and at least for me the Samsung 25r is a much better choice for sub ohm as it has lower internal resistance and run a little bit cooler than the vtc5..

Sub Ohm is not cheap guys and definitely not 100% safe even to the best can happen something bad so be careful learn about battery safety and Ohm's law and do not forget that we have 2017 so there is no reason to push the limits on a single battery to vape at 140w there are plenty of mods that can be vaped at double of this power and much safer !

First rule for vaping: Know what you're doing
Second rule for vaping: Do not cheap on batteries there is no reason to risk your health just to save 5$
Third rule for vaping: Buy a decent external charger you will charging more faster more safer and is cheaper than a new house
Fourth rule for vaping: If you feel that your batteries run hot put down your mod for a while and check it after few minutes

IMFire3605

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
Also to iterate, Sony, with the VTC3, 4, and 5, never, ever stated the batteries were 30amp CDR, their spec sheets at the time state Amps @ 80C temperature. It was retailers that do anything to get a sale to make money that took the 30amp CDR rating, assumed it was across the board for all 3 batteries, and ran with it without verification or testing. There are still sites out there, and especially on Ebay and Amazon that still claim 30amps on a VTC5, it just is not true. At the time I was big into the super-sub-ohm craze, there was a significant difference in output with the same builds I was using at the time, about 0.2ohms, the VTC3 would hit like a champ at that resistance, the VTC4s at the time, felt a little lacking side by side with the VTC3, the VTC5s at the time, just felt lethargic at that resistance to me, this was an attribution of the voltage sag to maintain that resistance. There was a lot of talk over the dispairity between the three batteries, so was the VTC5 ever a 30amp battery, flat out answer, big effing no, update your mental rollodex appropriately and quit posting false info when there are reputable sources and reputable testers that state the VTC5 is a 20amp battery, not a dang 30amp.

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Also to iterate, Sony, with the VTC3, 4, and 5, never, ever stated the batteries were 30amp CDR, their spec sheets at the time state Amps @ 80C temperature. It was retailers that do anything to get a sale to make money that took the 30amp CDR rating, assumed it was across the board for all 3 batteries, and ran with it without verification or testing. There are still sites out there, and especially on Ebay and Amazon that still claim 30amps on a VTC5, it just is not true. At the time I was big into the super-sub-ohm craze, there was a significant difference in output with the same builds I was using at the time, about 0.2ohms, the VTC3 would hit like a champ at that resistance, the VTC4s at the time, felt a little lacking side by side with the VTC3, the VTC5s at the time, just felt lethargic at that resistance to me, this was an attribution of the voltage sag to maintain that resistance. There was a lot of talk over the dispairity between the three batteries, so was the VTC5 ever a 30amp battery, flat out answer, big effing no, update your mental rollodex appropriately and quit posting false info when there are reputable sources and reputable testers that state the VTC5 is a 20amp battery, not a dang 30amp.
Leo-Obsession-leonardo-dicaprio-25749948-500-275.jpg

Jon@LiionWholesale

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor

The VTC3 and VTC4 actually were 30A based on the datasheet. I think this was before Sony started being smart about their datasheets and properly putting the caveat that they get really hot if you do that. Seems that way since the VTC5A takes 30A much better than those do and still has the 80 degrees caveat. The VTC5 though, you're totally right about, they never said that was 30A.

billythetroll

Member For 3 Years
Lol, I loved reading this.some of the stuff people thought back in 2014 under .1 is a hard short lol.some of the bats people said was good toothis was a good lol thanks guys.

VU Sponsors