Become a Patron!

I need help with a battery

Blade

Member For 4 Years
I'm getting ready to buy my first vaporizer mod that says it holds 18650 batteries. I see batteries for sale that have flat tops and some that don't. Does it matter? Also, I see 18650 batteries for sale that say they are for flashlights, but will they still be ok for my mod? One more thing. Will it still be ok to use my Protank 2 on this new mod?

KeepOnVaping

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Maybe it helps if you let know what mod you took to give an answer about the flat tops or not :)
As far as I know its about what ohm coil you want, how lower you go, how more the drain have to be of the battery.

I should not take flashlight batteries.

Blade

Member For 4 Years
Maybe it helps if you let know what mod you took to give an answer about the flat tops or not :)
As far as I know its about what ohm coil you want, how lower you go, how more the drain have to be of the battery.

I should not take flashlight batteries.
The mod is from www.fasttech.com / The mod is called Nemesis Style Mechanical Mod. The SKU number is 1448300

Last edited:

outwest

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
that's a mech mod. You will need to have a good battery with a high amp rating (not a flashlight one) from a trusted source such as liionwholesale.com and a reliable charger. If you are going to build your own coils, you will also want to learn about ohms law, get an ohm & coil calculator app (such as those included with VaporCalc or Vaper's Toolbox), and get an ohm meter you can put the RDA on, such as this

th

Also, you may know, but worth mentioning, never carry spare battery without it being in some kind of plastic case or bag. If it accidentally gets shorted while in your pocket, suitcase, etc., it will vent and possibly explode.

Blade

Member For 4 Years
I have my eye on this set of batteries I found called Ultrafire 18650 3.7V Li-ion 4800 mah with a button top. Would these work on the Nemesis Mech I mentioned above?

outwest

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Short answer - no.
Long answer - only if you want something that will go boom and burn your face.

You want some authentic (most out there are fakes) Sony VTC4s or some Samsung 25Rs.

outwest

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
To explain further - when you do too much of a draw on a battery, it vents. In the case of Li-ion, when they vent they do so forcefully and catch fire. Now, a 1.8ohm atomizer on that ProtankII of yours will only draw 2.22 amps when running at 4 volts, BUT (and this is a HUGE but) UltraFires are batteries that are factory seconds and are rewrapped. They're fine for low powered items like flashlights, but I wouldn't risk it in something that draws high rates of power like an ecig. Plus, when you upgrade to making your own coils (which that kit you're buying is designed for), you will need batteries that can handle 20A-30A draws.

KeepOnVaping

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Take a flat top and like outwest already said, a Samsung 25R is very very good :)

The Ultrafire is a good batttery, if you have an authentic and this is the problem, no one knows if they are authentic, I should not take that risk.

Slurp812

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Regardless of the mod used, it would be safer to use a quality non shiny wrapper battery. The Samsung 25r's or the LG HE2's mentioned all over the place here work well in most 18650 mods. Unless you intend using more than ~72 watts per cell, they will be more than adequate.

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
A good rule of thumb is NEVER purchase a battery when FIRE is part of the brand name.

As in House Fire, Car Fire or Fire in my freaking Pants Fire!

BoomStick

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
A variable power mod is usually a better choice for atomizers using prebuilt coil heads. Your adjustability is going to be very limited. Just a thought. Good luck.

Blade

Member For 4 Years
Then why not try a proper rebuildable instead of a protank?
I never really felt like I needed anything more. Plus, I vape way too much to be worried about constantly dripping juice into an RBA. I have been looking at the Kayfun though.

streakerz10

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I never really felt like I needed anything more. Plus, I vape way too much to be worried about constantly dripping juice into an RBA. I have been looking at the Kayfun though.
I drip all day go though a ton of juice and I mean a ton and there is no way you can get me to go back to a tank once you get to know how much juice to drip according to the way build and wick it's easier than taking your tank apart the flavor is way better and the side effect is bigger clouds

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Blade

Member For 4 Years
I drip all day go though a ton of juice and I mean a ton and there is no way you can get me to go back to a tank once you get to know how much juice to drip according to the way build and wick it's easier than taking your tank apart the flavor is way better and the side effect is bigger clouds

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk
I never really cared for huge clouds. Vaping kept me from smoking and that's good enough for me. Thanks though? o_O

BoomStick

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
A Kayfun would be a great upgrade. I went from a tank that uses protank coil heads to a kayfun. I use rda's now also, but still use my kayfun every morning.

Blade

Member For 4 Years
A Kayfun would be a great upgrade. I went from a tank that uses protank coil heads to a kayfun. I use rda's now also, but still use my kayfun every morning.
Just fell in love with a tank. It's called the Goblin. Buying ASAP!

BoomStick

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
The Goblin looks to be a great lung hitting rebuildable tank. The Cthulhu rta is basically a Goblin with some design improvements, but they've been having some manufacturing and QC issues. If they get it sorted I think it will be a real winner. These are lung hitters though. Hard to beat a Kayfun for mouth to lung vaping.

Blade

Member For 4 Years
The Goblin looks to be a great lung hitting rebuildable tank. The Cthulhu rta is basically a Goblin with some design improvements, but they've been having some manufacturing and QC issues. If they get it sorted I think it will be a real winner. These are lung hitters though. Hard to beat a Kayfun for mouth to lung vaping.
Maybe I'll get both. I'll see if Fasttech has any good clones.

NemesisVaper

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I bought a clone Goblin from slowtech. All together pretty decent. Built to 0.5 at 30W on an Mvp3 it's an ideal work vape.

Edit: there are two versions, get the glass not the pmma as that means it has a plastic tank section. Also IMO the shorter tank and chimney (comes with a big and small tank) gives the best flavour by miles. The fill screw leaks a tiny amount but you'll only see it when you take the tank off your mod, I've never had owt drop down the sides etc.

They also have the genuine Ud Zephyrus which is a sub ohm clearomiser with a damn awesome rebuildable deck, that looks very similar to the Goliath deck. Disposable coils are also excellent, you get a good vape on a Nemesis at 0.25 ohm with them. Highly recommend that one

Drippers for the win though. A stainless steel Tugboat V2 clone would see you well. If you like it, buybthe genuine V2 and support Flawless because.... Because awesome ;-) plus I actually use less juice dripping than with a RTA built low for some reason. YMMV though.

Last edited:

VU Sponsors