Become a Patron!

I need help with DIY Menthol recipes

Jack Merridew

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Ok so I'm back to DIY after having spent too much money on Halo juices. Subzero has helped me stay off the stinkies and now I need my menthol fix.

After doing some research I figured that the best option would be to buy menthol crystals and dilute them in PG. However, do you guys know how much of that solution would be required to achieve a menthol flavor as intense as Halo's Subzero?

I've also read conflicting advices about the use of vanillin with menthol. Some say it is what gives subzero's distinct pink color and others say it will ruin any menthol mix.

One last question, what are the best flavors to pair with menthol juices?

Thanks in advance!

OBDave

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I use FW menthol - extremely strong, 2 drops/10 ml does it for me and at most double that for some of the hard core menthol guys I mix for.

fat fingered flubs courtesy dumb mobile phone

HeadInClouds

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Unlisted Vendor
I really dislike true menthol flavor, but my partner craves it - and loves Halo Subzero. Mixes with plenty of FlavorWest Extreme Ice - always spiked with 1% Inawera Eucalyptus-Mint - have been the key here. We both like FA Peppermint and FW's Candy Cane, so those are often accents. Wintergreen (I like Nature's Flavors, but TFA's will also do) goes well in menthols, too. I used to enjoy Koolada for the cool effect, but using enough for a good effect makes me hack up a lung now. That Inawera flavor does it much better, and doesn't fade as much. You have to set aside preconceived notions of peppermint, eucalyptus, and wintergreen - they can taste different than expected when combined, especially in the presence of heavy menthol. If you keep your heavy mint/menthol mixes in the fridge, they stay snappin' fresh much longer.

OBDave

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I really dislike true menthol flavor, but my partner craves it - and loves Halo Subzero. Mixes with plenty of FlavorWest Extreme Ice - always spiked with 1% Inawera Eucalyptus-Mint - have been the key here. We both like FA Peppermint and FW's Candy Cane, so those are often accents. Wintergreen (I like Nature's Flavors, but TFA's will also do) goes well in menthols, too. I used to enjoy Koolada for the cool effect, but using enough for a good effect makes me hack up a lung now. That Inawera flavor does it much better, and doesn't fade as much. You have to set aside preconceived notions of peppermint, eucalyptus, and wintergreen - they can taste different than expected when combined, especially in the presence of heavy menthol. If you keep your heavy mint/menthol mixes in the fridge, they stay snappin' fresh much longer.
Interesting thoughts, paricularly on the Inawera Eucalyptus Mint - does it add much flavor to blends, or mostly stay out of the way? I like Koolada for the menthol "mouth feel" without the flavor, but I have the same problem with its strength fading over time in the low percentages I use it at...

penstyle

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Ice Ice Baby

2% TFA Peppermint
2% TFA Creme de Menthe
1% TFA Koolada
.50% TFA Menthol
.50% TFA Vanillin

HeadInClouds

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Unlisted Vendor
Inawera Eucalyptus Mint - does it add much flavor to blends, or mostly stay out of the way? I like Koolada for the menthol "mouth feel" without the flavor, but I have the same problem with its strength fading over time in the low percentages I use it at...

The Inawera does NOT stay out of the way! It's strong and persistent, with brisk menthol and eucalyptus. The flavor-nervous mixer should try 0.5% as an addition to their menthol recipe. I have to emphasize I use it for someone who likes strong, cold, methol-y mints. If you like Orbitz gums, or Wrigley's Extra Polar Ice, go buy this Inawera flavor immediately. lol - it's essential for flavors like that.

Jack Merridew

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year

Very informative post! Thank you very much for the information. I will be placing an order really soon.

Does your partner use Extreme Ice for convenience or is it superior to mixing your own menthol with crystals and PG?

Also I can't wait to try the fridge trick. Is there any downside to this? I've always heard that it's bad to keep juice at a cold temperature.

HeadInClouds

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Unlisted Vendor
Does your partner use Extreme Ice for convenience or is it superior to mixing your own menthol with crystals and PG?

Also I can't wait to try the fridge trick. Is there any downside to this? I've always heard that it's bad to keep juice at a cold temperature.

My partner says Extreme Ice is the coldest menthol, so that's what I use. We both tested all of FW's, plus the menthols from TFA and FA, and one admittedly half-assed attempt to mix crystals myself. Extreme Ice was the easy winner for extreme menthol. (I personally prefer milder menthol, and even then only in cough-drop type mixes)

Since I use max-VG, the downside to the fridge is that it's sludge-like until it warms up. The cooler a mix is, the more it slows down "steeping", fading flavors, and nic oxidation. Some strong menthols can crystallize a little when very cold, but it dissolves fine as it warms. Just keep it capped as it warms and give it a shake. My strong/cold mint mixes live in the fridge or freezer, and I've never seen a downside.

Jack Merridew

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Thanks a ton HIC! Great advice as always, and I can't wait to try this.

itsmenotyou

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
My partner says Extreme Ice is the coldest menthol, so that's what I use. We both tested all of FW's, plus the menthols from TFA and FA, and one admittedly half-assed attempt to mix crystals myself. Extreme Ice was the easy winner for extreme menthol. (I personally prefer milder menthol, and even then only in cough-drop type mixes)

Since I use max-VG, the downside to the fridge is that it's sludge-like until it warms up. The cooler a mix is, the more it slows down "steeping", fading flavors, and nic oxidation. Some strong menthols can crystallize a little when very cold, but it dissolves fine as it warms. Just keep it capped as it warms and give it a shake. My strong/cold mint mixes live in the fridge or freezer, and I've never seen a downside.
What don't you know about diy? Lol

sent from a dumb operated smartphone

Jack Merridew

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Also does Extreme ice have that distinct Menthol taste or is it closer to Koolada?

Jack Merridew

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Also HIC, I have a quick question for you. All my falvorings are FA aside from my Koolada and Acetyl Pyrazine. I've been following your guidelines for safety and am a bit insecure about ordering from Inawera. Are they as safe as FA?

Another quick question : what are your thoughts on vanillin?

HeadInClouds

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Unlisted Vendor
Also HIC, I have a quick question for you. All my falvorings are FA aside from my Koolada and Acetyl Pyrazine. I've been following your guidelines for safety and am a bit insecure about ordering from Inawera. Are they as safe as FA?

Another quick question : what are your thoughts on vanillin?

I haven't seen any diketone test results for Inawera. I saw a post long ago from someone from Inawera indicating some kind of lab tests would be completed "soon" - but I never saw any. (Flavors like eucalyptus and menthol are very unlikely candidates for a diketone-assist, in my opinion, but without testing, there's no guarantee)

I haven't seen anything that indicates there's a safety issue with inhalation of vanillin, if that's what you mean.

Jack Merridew

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I just received my Extreme Ice and Eucalyptus. Mixed a small sample of 10% Ice and 1% Eucalyptus, and I must say I'm very glad with my purchase. This is a solid menthol flavor and I can't wait to experiment by adding other flavors to the mix. Thanks HIC!

Jack Merridew

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
A vendor from Toronto. It might be unpractical for you since you're from the States, but PM me if you want their website.

snake94115

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I got to ask..
Are people dripping menthol or tanking it MTL?
Anything mentholated goes in the nautilus.Which is the only non-sub-ohm tank I have.As for dripping...I may be crazy but I ain't stupid.I know better than to drip anything mentholated.

Jack Merridew

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I use the Kayfun at 1ohm for my menthol juices.

Today I've done another mix with 3% Horehound and it fits perfectly removing the spearmint taste and bringing it closer to subzero.

10% Extreme Ice
1% Eucalyptus
3% Horehound

It's a delicious vape and I will continue to try it with other flavors to get it closer to Subzero.

snake94115

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years

Today I've done another mix with 3% Horehound and it fits perfectly removing the spearmint taste and bringing it closer to subzero.

10% Extreme Ice
1% Eucalyptus
3% Horehound

It's a delicious vape and I will continue to try it with other flavors to get it closer to Subzero.
Horehound hmm alright now that's a very old school flavor.Looks like I'll be needing a link.

Looking at what you've already done here I'd want to add in some Peppermint maybe some Wintergreen and or Teaberry as well.But that's just me.

gopher_byrd

Cranky Old Fart
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon

jsc787

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year

10% Extreme Ice
1% Eucalyptus
3% Horehound

What brand are those flavors ?

VU Sponsors