Become a Patron!

I need some help to get into dripping and RDAs

Hello everyone! I am relatively new to vaping and I just got a SMOK AL85 which I love! I want to venture out and try new juices and flavors but using the baby beast tank kind of limits how much I can really try without wasting some juice each time I want to put a new one in. I have a Mutation xs RDA that I have used and loved, but I don’t really know what ohm coils I should be buying. I have a basic understanding of ohms law and whatnot but I would prefer to buy the pre made coils as opposed to making my own just because it’s easier and I don’t have to worry. If anyone has any coil favorites or suggestions for me to try out that would be awesome. Also if you have a website that you like to order from and really any help is welcome!
PS. If you’ve got a favorite juice you’d like to recommend I am open to trying most flavors! (No tobacco please)

Mattp169

Platinum Contributor
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
welcome
make your own juice, cheaper and better tasting - and it really is super easy

you can use about any coils you want down to .10 ohms

basic theory from my experience, lower the ohms more clouds...sometimes more flavor
higher ohms less clouds usually more flavor in a tight draw mtl rda which aint what you got

so my recommendation SS coils, around .4-.8 in dual coil - remember the coil resistance drops in half in dual coil mode - so 2 1 ohm coils equal .5

use any kind of coil you want - simple contact, clapton, fused clapton or alien. the more complicated the coil the more watts it normally needs to shine but YMMV

Letitia9

Citrus Junkie
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Advanced Vape Supply has 30% off sitewide, code 2018. Excellent coils, order ss 316 coils (you can use them in power or tc mode). don't order ss 430.

welcome
make your own juice, cheaper and better tasting - and it really is super easy

you can use about any coils you want down to .10 ohms

basic theory from my experience, lower the ohms more clouds...sometimes more flavor
higher ohms less clouds usually more flavor in a tight draw mtl rda which aint what you got

so my recommendation SS coils, around .4-.8 in dual coil - remember the coil resistance drops in half in dual coil mode - so 2 1 ohm coils equal .5

use any kind of coil you want - simple contact, clapton, fused clapton or alien. the more complicated the coil the more watts it normally needs to shine but YMMV
Awesome, so if I want to vape at about a .6 ohm I need to use 2 coils at 1.2 ohms?

skt239

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Advanced Vape Supply has 30% off sitewide, code 2018. Excellent coils, order ss 316 coils (you can use them in power or tc mode). don't order ss 430.
I also ordered some 430 coils from AVS and found them to taste weird and finiky in TC. What kind of issues did you have?

Letitia9

Citrus Junkie
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
I also ordered some 430 coils from AVS and found them to taste weird and finiky in TC. What kind of issues did you have?
No issues really, just prefer the 316l wire. Please don't ask why, I just know I do.:) Wouldn't advise them for someone new to using ss or tc.

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years

A+

Awesome, so if I want to vape at about a .6 ohm I need to use 2 coils at 1.2 ohms?

Yes

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
That is correct!! However, you'll also need more power/wattage, in order to heat up the coils, compared to a single coil.

Letitia9

Citrus Junkie
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
A+

Yes
Love AVS. Just got in some of their new framed staple coils. Going to run one in a Zeus. Should be an excellent start to the new year.

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Love AVS. Just got in some of their new framed staple coils. Going to run one in a Zeus. Should be an excellent start to the new year.

My fave also - their premade coil prices can't be beat for the quality you get

While their wire spools are not the cheapest, it is super clean wire and worth buying over cheaper options IMO

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
No issues really, just prefer the 316l wire. Please don't ask why, I just know I do.:) Wouldn't advise them for someone new to using ss or tc.
I agree, I also prefer SS 316L wire, due to it's fairly neutral flavor (during break in), and the ability to heat up a lot quicker than Kanthal A1.

Letitia9

Citrus Junkie
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
My fave also - their premade coil prices can't be beat for the quality you get

While their wire spools are not the cheapest, it is super clean wire and worth buying over cheaper options IMO
I have been using tri core spooled wire and it's as great as the pre-built coils. Never have issues with getting a nice even glow with their wire either like some.

Letitia9

Citrus Junkie
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
I agree, I also prefer SS 316L wire, due to it's fairly neutral flavor (during break in), and the ability to heat up a lot quicker than Kanthal A1.
I experience zero break in with ss 316l. Literally all I use in all rtas and rdas for about a year now.

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
I experience zero break in with ss 316l. Literally all I use in all rtas and rdas for about a year now.
+1
It makes a difference, when you use a RTA, RDTA, and a RDA, due to the dry burning, during the build process. However, replacement coils do require a break in.

Letitia9

Citrus Junkie
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
+1
It makes a difference, when you use a RTA, RDTA, and a RDA, due to the dry burning, during the build process. However, replacement coils do require a break in.
Agree. Been so long since I've used one I'd forgotten.:teehee:

Mattp169

Platinum Contributor
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
i used to swear by Advanced Vape Supply. But the last roll of clapton wire was really soft. it would unspring after i took it off the rod. I would literaly have a coil twice the width of my rta and have to carefully pulse it and compress it and I tried everything. Tired some form Lightning vape and it was better and mor elike the wire I use dto get form AVS. is the QC just all over the place or did i just get a bad roll

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
i used to swear by Advanced Vape Supply. But the last roll of clapton wire was really soft. it would unspring after i took it off the rod. I would literaly have a coil twice the width of my rta and have to carefully pulse it and compress it and I tried everything. Tired some form Lightning vape and it was better and mor elike the wire I use dto get form AVS. is the QC just all over the place or did i just get a bad roll
Put a torch to the wire, before wrapping your coil(s). It will take out the "springyness" of the wire.

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years

It's AVS - send them an email and explain nicely why you were disappointed - bet they'd make it right if you haven't waited months to voice your complaint ;)

Can anyone tell me what the different gauges and wraps mean, I just want to make sure it will fit in my mutation xs RDA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mattp169

Platinum Contributor
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
torching did not help

of course its been months since I ordered. I make maybe 2 coils a month..... and the first 10-15ft of a 30 ft roll was ok, but as I got further through the roll it got worse and worse. for the price I am not super worried about "making it right" I mention to see if others who use AVS have experienced anything else or had a solution I hadnt tried. I have had a lengthy discussion with raymo2u about this roll of wire and to no avail. I email AVS a while back asking what brand of wire and if it was tempered or annealed and never got a response. I know its annealing that makes a difference as does quality of wire. Raymo2u sent me some temco 316l clapton wire that wrapped around my rod and stayed nearly perfect, better then anything AVS ever sent me or LV

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
torching did not help

of course its been months since I ordered. I make maybe 2 coils a month..... and the first 10-15ft of a 30 ft roll was ok, but as I got further through the roll it got worse and worse. for the price I am not super worried about "making it right" I mention to see if others who use AVS have experienced anything else or had a solution I hadnt tried. I have had a lengthy discussion with raymo2u about this roll of wire and to no avail. I email AVS a while back asking what brand of wire and if it was tempered or annealed and never got a response. I know its annealing that makes a difference as does quality of wire. Raymo2u sent me some temco 316l clapton wire that wrapped around my rod and stayed nearly perfect, better then anything AVS ever sent me or LV
Ideally, you buy your wires, and make your own Claptons. It's also cheaper on the long run. However, I do understand buying pre made wire, I'm sometimes too lazy myself. :D

VU Sponsors