Become a Patron!

I need some help with my RDA and coils please

Since this is my first post, i'll try to give a little background on my vaping experience before I get to the questions, if that's okay. I've been vaping for a little over 3 months now, quitting the cancer sticks. I smoked for 16 years. I tried vaping about 4 or 5 years ago, but I did not like it at all, and it seemed like the technology was nowhere near as good as it is now. I enjoy the hell out of vaping now, and never want to go back to cigarettes.

I started off with a stick v8, but after a few weeks I bought an RX Gen3, and used the baby beast tank with it. I quickly got tired or buying the coil heads for the tank, it always seemed like 2 out of the 5-pack i'd buy would burn up quick for no reason.

About a month ago I bought my first RDA, the Bonza. I used these Geek Vape prebuilt fused claptons:
d7J5WnD.jpg

The first set I used for my very first attempt to build were the 24ga/32ga pair. However when I finally got them installed, they would only read something like 0.07Ω (instead of something like 0.12Ω which I thought they would. that's right isn't it?) No matter what I did I couldn't get them to read any different, and my mod wouldn't fire them so I tossed them aside and used the 26ga/36ga set. These were doing the same thing as above, but after some tinkering, I finally got them to read 0.15Ω

Now i've used both sets of those, and i'm back to the 24ga/32ga sets. Again, they were doing the same thing and I couldn't fire them. So I opted to only use a single coil, which came out to 0.28Ω, but I don't really like a single coil on this RDA. I will use it until I can get a different build in later.

Am I doing something wrong?
Can you recommend a wattage range for this single coil? I started using it around 50-60w and it seems okay. Is it? Can I go higher?

I've read a lot of information and watched countless videos about rebuildables, but I'm having a little trouble understanding some things. I'm using a triple battery regulated mod, with Samsung 25r's, but I get a little confused about ohm's law and safety when a lot of the information seems to be geared towards mechanical mod users.

Anyway, thanks for reading, and I apologize for the lengthy post, and I do hope someone here can help me understand a little better.

jwill

The Great King of Nothing
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reddit Exile
VU SWAT
Welcome to VU and congrats on not looking back on the death sticks.

While not familiar with those coils, if they have length available for another wrap, make another wrap of the coil and see how it checks out. Do you have an ohm meter or are you using the mod as the ohm meter?

sonarman

Member For 4 Years
I had the same issue. I found out they were bottoming out on the RDA and lowering the resistance. What I did was loosen up the screws a bit on one side and raise each coil like 1/8” if that. Then I would tighten that side back down and loosen the other screw (sometimes I would not have to mess with moving the coil because the tension from the now uneven coil would cause it to raise on its own) and raise the other side. Resistance would still be lower than expected but after heating and using a tool to take out hotspots (use YouTube if you don’t know what I mean) and then doing a power on/off of my device would raise the resistance (my device will not recognize a resistance change until it’s cycled) to where it should be.

I don’t see this covered many places which is a surprise to me because I think it is a natural assumption to want to push your leads to the bottom of the deck. If you have a postless deck. If yours has posts I don’t know what it could be other than needing a device that goes low enough to get them firing so then the resistance will come up.

No I don't have an ohm meter yet, i've been using my mod. I do plan on purchasing one as soon as I can. My mod won't fire below 0.1 in wattage mode. The RDA i'm using doesn't have a postless deck.

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Coils should glow from inside out and expand the entire coil when glowing, if there is a short you will see one wrap not getting their share of the glow and it should mirror the other side of the coil. If your touching anything but the leads to anything on the deck it will cause a short, you must also be aware of the topcap that will fit over them and make sure the coil isnt touching that also.

Have you checked for hotspots and got them out? Hotspots will also cause this issues.

VU Sponsors