Become a Patron!

I really dont know what im doing wrong..

kennjbroas

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
.. to be honest

Ive had a bluberry custard flavor about a week ago, put a new coil in, ive had this weird taste i believe this taste MIGHT be a cotton taste..

I purchased a berry blast flavor lastnight with a new coil in.. Again the same damn taste..

I taste this after about a day after putting the new juice in..

Most of yall might know, but im using the subtank mini with the OCC .5 coils.

I thought switching these 2 flavors up i wont be tasting it anymore.

Ive poked holes to spread the channels in the cotton, still NOTHING

kennjbroas

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Anyone have a way to solve this problem? Im usually vaping 75/25.

PuffPuffPass

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Quick questions. Has it tasted this way from day one? Or has it evolved to this?

kennjbroas

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Quick questions. Has it tasted this way from day one? Or has it evolved to this?

Ive had one custard before, probably my favorite from this day. Never had a tasting problem with it. Called "Oh my custard"

PuffPuffPass

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
So id say, it evolved to this

To get a clearer understanding. Let me rephrase that.

Have these 2 particular liquids tasted that way from the first day of purchase?

We have several things to consider, and we need to know where it started before we all just start throwing 100 ideas at you.

Could be the juice, could be vapors tongue. Could be a lot of things.

kennjbroas

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
To get a clearer understanding. Let me rephrase that.

Have these 2 particular liquids tasted that way from the first day of purchase?

We have several things to consider, and we need to know where it started before we all just start throwing 100 ideas at you.

Could be the juice, could be vapors tongue. Could be a lot of things.
Yeah, the first day ive used them they tasted fine. Id say the day after it started to taste weird.

Im pretty sure it tastes like cotton lol.

PuffPuffPass

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Well, if you're tasting cotton. You've either burned it, or got some crappy cotton.

Odds are you're burned it, just my thoughts on it. Are you hitting it heavy? And what is your pg/vg ratio?

PuffPuffPass

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Would vapers tounge kick in after a day of new juice?

It could if the timing is right (week 3 of heavy vaping, change juice), and you aren't staying hydrated. But generally vapors tongue is a "no taste" situation.

kennjbroas

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
It could if the timing is right (week 3 of heavy vaping, change juice), and you aren't staying hydrated. But generally vapors tongue is a "no taste" situation.
Usually i vape at 25-27 watts and taste it, but when I hit 30W the taste becomes stronger. But my coil watt range is between 15-30W so i dont really understand. Its a new coil too

PuffPuffPass

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Usually i vape at 25-27 watts and taste it, but when I hit 30W the taste becomes stronger. But my coil watt range is between 15-30W so i dont really understand. Its a new coil too

Coil range is subjective. And usually based on someones idea of "best" performance. When I run the OCC .5 coils, I never get past 11 watts unless the coil has aged. I can't tell you the number of times I've been told I'm doing it wrong. But we buy adjustable mods, for just that reason. So we can adjust and tailor them to our personal needs and vaping techniques.

Try a new coil, start at a lower wattage. Then work your way up slowly. If you're tasting burned cotton, you need to make sure you've primed the wick properly. Which I'm assuming you have in the past, and may have just gotten in a rush lately.

Additionally: When was the last time you gave your tank a good bath? Serious question there.

Superjeep

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Ya it could simply be a shot coil. Some juices will batter a coil in a day depending how much flavoring is in it. some are just really heavy on sweet and if you have a slight wicking issue the sugar literally gunks up to a point it just does not function right. Something as simple as not enough cotton or a vertical coil not packed tight enough will cause this gunk to build under the coil(where the coil contacts the cotton which is usually the last to gunk).

But honestly if your tasting "cotton" its usually because the coil is just not feeding like it should so your essentially getting the making of a dry hit where the flavor starts to drop off. Sub tanks can be hit or miss on VG thickness depending on simply how you vape. before I went temp control I had issues with a lot of subtanks because they are designed really for lung hits and I am more a mouth to lung hitter. Try playing with your air control as well. Unfortunately it could be several issue but start with a different coil as Puffpuff suggests and work your way down the list.

Once you burn cotton its toast. It will never really taste or wick the same.

OBDave

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Moving to Coils...

I'm thinking there may be a burning issue. I know what the Subtank coils are rated for, but with my high-VG liquids I can't get them that high and certainly can't chain vape or I risk burning cotton.

Others have wisely suggested cleaning out your tank - also start your new coil near the bottom end of the usable range, then kick it up a few watts after vaping a tank, then a few more after another tank. Could be you just need to spend a while breaking the coils in at lower power.

fat fingered flubs courtesy dumb mobile phone

Superjeep

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Also this might sound weird but keep an eye on bubbles. Those little guys tell ya how well your juice is wicking as well as taste. You want those little suckers popping up pretty consistently as and after you take a drag. The newest kanger vertical coils are a lot better for higher vg as they really increased the size of the juice holes. I find vertical coils just to be better over all.

kennjbroas

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Also this might sound weird but keep an eye on bubbles. Those little guys tell ya how well your juice is wicking as well as taste. You want those little suckers popping up pretty consistently as and after you take a drag. The newest kanger vertical coils are a lot better for higher vg as they really increased the size of the juice holes. I find vertical coils just to be better over all.
Yeah i do usually see those bubbles..

So probably the best thing to do is put a new coil in and start with a lower wattage and work my way up over time?

kennjbroas

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Moving to Coils...

I'm thinking there may be a burning issue. I know what the Subtank coils are rated for, but with my high-VG liquids I can't get them that high and certainly can't chain vape or I risk burning cotton.

Others have wisely suggested cleaning out your tank - also start your new coil near the bottom end of the usable range, then kick it up a few watts after vaping a tank, then a few more after another tank. Could be you just need to spend a while breaking the coils in at lower power.

fat fingered flubs courtesy dumb mobile phone
Yeah i usually do chain vape. When you explained breaking the coils in how much watts should i go up after refilling the tank?

PuffPuffPass

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Yeah i do usually see those bubbles..

So probably the best thing to do is put a new coil in and start with a lower wattage and work my way up over time?

Just lower your wattage for a bit. I can't say how low, I'm really not sure what kind of mod you're using. I start anywhere between 7 & 9 for the first few hits. But run it up to 8-11 depending on the coil.

But do take the time to give your tank a thorough cleaning before you refill it.

There is really too much we don't know about your particular situation. But the tips you've been given so far, are a good place to start.

Sirkris

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I had the same problem with a juice I bought from a local b&m. It started out tasting great then.. Yuk! I use a rta so I opened it up to see if I burnt the cotton. The coils and cotton were so crusted and black it was disgusting. I didn't even finish the tank and it got that bad that quick. I blame it on too much flavoring. This is why I diy for myself and the wife.

JERUS

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I had the same problem with a juice I bought from a local b&m. It started out tasting great then.. Yuk! I use a rta so I opened it up to see if I burnt the cotton. The coils and cotton were so crusted and black it was disgusting. I didn't even finish the tank and it got that bad that quick. I blame it on too much flavoring. This is why I diy for myself and the wife.
Some flavors simply gunk up coils QUICK. I had one that a LOVED, it was a great lime+ spice flavor. Delicious, but the more that goes through the quicker that it gums up the works and turns into a burnt mess. On 50w I could get a good couple dozen hits of awesomeness out of it, ramp it up and that quickly dropped to half a dozen.

It's sad because it was probably the best all day flavor I've ever had, not too sweet, not bitter, and just fantastic. But, because it had this effect on the coils/cotton it just wasn't worth it (have to dryburn/rewick every 1/4 of a tank).

I wouldn't say it's an amount of flavor, but simply the flavors involved. The company of the juice I'm talking about has other stuff that works perfectly, heck even better than most not ruining wicks for quite a while. It's simply this one combination. Point being that just some juices respond poorly. They may be flavored well, they may use "good" ingredients, but the end result simply gunks the hell out of coils. If you think this might be the case, my suggestion would be to just wait till a coil is near it's end, use it then if you like the flavor, use some, and accept that the coil is done after it goes bad.

Like I said, I loved the flavor I'm talking about, and I've had some other flavors that had this similar effect but to a lesser degree (this one was extreme) and it just is what it is. I've heard citrus flavors and sweeteners have this effect, the one I was using didn't have any sweeteners, just a heavy use of "home made" (they have a solid lab where they make their own extracts) flavors. Again nothing bad about the brand just this one flavor has issues, and it is what it is.

Sirkris

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I can agree with that, not bad/cheap flavoring just some flavors do gunk coils. I'll stick with my diy.

OBDave

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Old thread reboot, but I'm just going to chime in because I see I didn't fully answer a question.

When I fire a new disposable coil, I'll juice it up thoroughly on installation, then let it sit for 10-15 minutes at least. Then I'll fire about 15 watts or so below where I expect to end up (say 18 watts for a Subtank, 35ish for an Arctic - the only two admittedly outdated tanks I use). Every fire, I'll click up 0.1, usually arriving at my final wattage after 2-3 tanks. This is probably more my OCD kicking in related to counting things for no apparent reason, but it workse for me...

VU Sponsors