I think I lost my touch...

Citizen

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I've been wrapping my own coils for while now. Mostly micros. I have delved in macro coils. 26 ga. twisted single coil, .7 ohm wicked with cotton in my Stillare last weekend. Turned out awesome. Up until this point everything I build is clean, tidy and tight. Really nice looking stuff. Now everything else I have tried has gone to the shitter. Below is an example of the slop. Two coils too hot, one coil too cool and not enough cloudage. I've been experimenting with various wire (22,24,26,28) to try and find that happy place and I'm just disappointed every time. I have a decent understanding of Ohms law and what hurts my brain to render is aided by vaper's toolbox and steam engine. I guess what I'm trying to ask is is there a more methodical approach to building than just trial and error? I know that sounds stupid, especially considering that that is how I have learned anything that I've learned my whole life but my build time is limited with everything that's going on right now. I don't know if I'm asking for advice or just venting about wasted time. But thanks anyways for listening.

vaperature

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Doesn't sound stupid to me, but I'm too stupid to know the answer. My building skills are still very limited at this point. But this place is full of experts so I'll follow and maybe I'll learn something as well. ;<))

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
I stick with what works. I've been building since the beginning, and I just cant find better results than with a single strand micro. I have done my share of exotics, and have yet to find one that is better.....I'm thinking that it's more or less a "WANT TO WORK" than something more factual. Wind them tight as fuck and do not over or under wick and you are golden.

Celtic Fog

Tir Na Nog
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
It goes up and down for me too, some days i knock it out of the park, other days...I get knocked out in the park lol. Remember to torch your wire first to help with the build. I started pulling the slack out of the coils with needle nose pliers before I pull them off the screwdriver I wrap them on, been getting tighter and tighter, loving it. Taking my time when I compress the coils after getting heated up is one thing that gets me sometimes. I had to find just the right set of tweezers/pliers for each coil set up I am making. I now have 4 different pliers and tweezers in my box for the different style coils I build...If all else fails, there are some insanely awesome pin over pin style coil rollers on the market now, they are not cheep, but could be worth it. As far as tiger wires or specific twisted wires, its still hit or miss for me....patience is the key, but more importantly, keep having fun, and keep it foggy brother.

Lefty

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I'm with franciscan on this. I played around with a bunch of stuff before settling on a nice tightly wound simple micro coil. It just works for me and isn't a project to recoil.

Citizen

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Thanks guys. I looked at this first thing in the morning and that's exactly what I needed! I'm kind of in the same boat with the exotic coils as well. The micros, nice and tight and clean just seem to be the best (as well as the most precisely calculated) for me. I'll be back at it tonight! I'm so happy I stumbled upon this forum. I was kicking around another forum not too long ago. This unnamed forum was chock full of rules, censorship and bad attitudes. This place is a breath of fresh air. Never looking back. You people are great.

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Thanks guys. I looked at this first thing in the morning and that's exactly what I needed! I'm kind of in the same boat with the exotic coils as well. The micros, nice and tight and clean just seem to be the best (as well as the most precisely calculated) for me. I'll be back at it tonight! I'm so happy I stumbled upon this forum. I was kicking around another forum not too long ago. This unnamed forum was chock full of rules, censorship and bad attitudes. This place is a breath of fresh air. Never looking back. You people are great.
We name that forum quite often.

Pauly Walnuts

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
If you want something different than a single strand build, try a parallel build. They work much better than twisted for me.

Citizen

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Yeah, I have wrapped parallel. Nice and clean too. I like 'em. I think at the time I did it I was used to coils that fired up quickly. So initially, I wasn't too into them. But tonight I think I'll give it another go.

Pauly Walnuts

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Parallel first sooooo much faster than twisted in my experience. If they dont fire quick enough, reduce the coils by one wrap each. Youll hit your happy medium.

Citizen

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Oh yeah I know that. I just meant I was into standard micros at the time. It's funny you say that about the reduction thing too because I tend to do that. I'll overbuild then back down a wrap at a time. Just did that actually, on my first orchid build. After stoning the screws three times over, wrecking coils & relearning the delicate process that is 28 ga... I think I'm ready to wick. Which, from what I hear, is 80% of the battle... Wish me luck.

VU Sponsors