I think I'm done with cut-rate juices

vaperature

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I've been vaping now for 14 months and have bought a lot of cut-rate juices (you know, they come in plastic bottles, cost about $5 or $6 for 15ml, and are made on demand). I'm looking at my juice shelf and without actually counting I'd have to say there are at least sixty bottles on it, most still at least half full. The good thing I guess is that you can get so much of it so cheaply, but since I only vape about 3ml a day, they end up sitting there and eventually do go stale (mostly I think the nicotine disintegrates resulting in an unsatisfying vape). So did I really save any money since I didn't end up even using them?

The pricier juices I've tried have been much more satisfying taste-wise as well as quality of nicotine-wise. I'm thinking of this right now because I just got a bottle of some Nicoticket Gravity in the mail. Postage included I got 15ml for about $12 which is twice what I would pay for the cut-rate stuff, but it's a REALLY good vape and I know I'll end up using all of this stuff probably in a few weeks, so none will go to waste. Also I have a bottle of Cyclops Colossus which retail goes for $22 for 30ml and this stuff just knocks my socks off it's so delicious and vapable. I find the higher end stuff is presteeped so there's no reason to go through any bs of waiting weeks with your fingers crossed hoping it'll turn good.

So I think from now on I'll spend the same money on half the quantity of juice for twice the quality. Don't get me wrong, there are some really good cut-rate juice makers out there, but it's also a huge gamble most of the time. If only half of what you get is vapable then it's better, in my opinion, to spend more money and get what you pay for.

Anyone else feel this way?

Celtic Fog

Tir Na Nog
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I started off by vaping top shelf,then moved on to the cut rate stuff, now I'm vaping DIY and grabbing a top shelf bottle every once in a while. Taste is a subjective issue for the most part. There are some very good top shelf juices out there, but a ton of crap on the top shelf as well. One of my top shelf favorites, I just reproduced here at home, costing me around 1.70 per 30 ml bottle, price of the bottle included.These days, my favorites are DIY, paying that much for something that cost me under 2 bux to make makes me feel dirty.

vaperature

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I started off by vaping top shelf,then moved on to the cut rate stuff, now I'm vaping DIY and grabbing a top shelf bottle every once in a while. Taste is a subjective issue for the most part. There are some very good top shelf juices out there, but a ton of crap on the top shelf as well. One of my top shelf favorites, I just reproduced here at home, costing me around 1.70 per 30 ml bottle, price of the bottle included.These days, my favorites are DIY, paying that much for something that cost me under 2 bux to make makes me feel dirty.
Glad to hear you're mastering DIY. I have yet to get motivated with DIY. I do it on a rare occasion and my stuff comes out so-so. I did make a pretty damn good coconut cream pie using coconut, cinnamon cookie and maltol (sp?). But mostly the juices I buy taste better than the ones I make.

Celtic Fog

Tir Na Nog
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Glad to hear you're mastering DIY. I have yet to get motivated with DIY. I do it on a rare occasion and my stuff comes out so-so. I did make a pretty damn good coconut cream pie using coconut, cinnamon cookie and maltol (sp?). But mostly the juices I buy taste better than the ones I make.
I decided to start using wllmc's recipes and HIC's recipes.....so far so GOOD.

Iamme

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years

I like feeling dirty once in a while, but that is irrelevant lol. I like DIY too. I have so guru juice coming I won and I'm looking forward to it. Some of Blueprints stuff is pretty good. I started DIY when i started vaping, but there is some good stuff. I just find it hard to pay so much. A train from blueprint is some good stuff though if you like tropical stuff. I got a bottle for my Bday and I would probably buy it again if I had 20 some buck to blow on juice.

I need to make a flavor order. I'm missing my strawberry crunch berries.

vaperature

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I like feeling dirty once in a while, but that is irrelevant lol. I like DIY too. I have so guru juice coming I won and I'm looking forward to it. Some of Blueprints stuff is pretty good. I started DIY when i started vaping, but there is some good stuff. I just find it hard to pay so much. A train from blueprint is some good stuff though if you like tropical stuff. I got a bottle for my Bday and I would probably buy it again if I had 20 some buck to blow on juice.
But for those of us who don't have the DIY knack yet and especially for people like me who don't blow through 20ml a day, the $12 I spent for this little bottle isn't bad. For me 3ml gives me the same satisfaction as an entire pack of smokes would, and in Chicago smokes are $10 to $12 a pack. So doing that math it's not a bad deal really. But I can see, down the road, when I start getting serious about DIY and start producing quality stuff, how that would be the way to go. For me it's just laziness, clearing out an area of the kitchen to work at, getting out all my supplies, having to wash everything when I'm done. Sure, the components only cost a few dollars but I don't work for less than $15 an hour so in my mind I add that into the price.

Iamme

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
But for those of us who don't have the DIY knack yet and especially for people like me who don't blow through 20ml a day, the $12 I spent for this little bottle isn't bad. For me 3ml gives me the same satisfaction as an entire pack of smokes would, and in Chicago smokes are $10 to $12 a pack. So doing that math it's not a bad deal really. But I can see, down the road, when I start getting serious about DIY and start producing quality stuff, how that would be the way to go. For me it's just laziness, clearing out an area of the kitchen to work at, getting out all my supplies, having to wash everything when I'm done. Sure, the components only cost a few dollars but I don't work for less than $15 an hour so in my mind I add that into the price.

Lol that is definitely one way to look at it. I was the same way when I started on 510 batteries. The 20$ for a 30ml was cheaper than $5-7 a pack. I smoked non filters. The tobacco companies were genius. Charge more for less cigarette. I vaped about 3ml then too. Little cigarette filter sized clearos. When I went back to vaping and got my ego kit and carto tank, I went to 5ml a day. I realized I could save more and went with it.

vaperature

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Lol that is definitely one way to look at it. I was the same way when I started on 510 batteries. The 20$ for a 30ml was cheaper than $5-7 a pack. I smoked non filters. The tobacco companies were genius. Charge more for less cigarette. I vaped about 3ml then too. Little cigarette filter sized clearos. When I went back to vaping and got my ego kit and carto tank, I went to 5ml a day. I realized I could save more and went with it.
Sometimes I probably do vape 5ml a day. It really depends on my mood. I think mostly when people say they vape 10ml to 20ml a day that's because they're sub-ohming and burning through juice like crazy. I seriously can't imagine going through that much juice with the tanks I have. I wouldn't have a chance to catch a breath of air.

Iamme

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I burn through 20-30ml a day or more. It isn't to hard for a lot of people to do with rebuildable attys. When you're vaping lower ohm at 30-50w or higher they can drink juice sometimes. Duals will do it even faster.

vaperature

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I burn through 20-30ml a day or more. It isn't to hard for a lot of people to do with rebuildable attys. When you're vaping lower ohm at 30-50w or higher they can drink juice sometimes. Duals will do it even faster.
LOL, I can see why DIY is your way to go. 30ml a day would certainly get costly. I'm learning and evolving every day so it's possible somewhere down the road I'll be DIYing fantastic layers and sub-ohming out of my own double-parallel coil build, but right now I just pop on a protank or iclear or vivi nova and call it a day. ;<))

Iamme

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Hey, it isn't for everyone. I hate that a lot of people make vaping a pissing contest. If a clearo and a ego is what some one prefers and it keeps them off the stinkys, great stick with it. I'm not saying not to try new things. I Just don't think everyone has to sub ohm to be a "real" vaper. I don't care if someone is vaping a $500 mod at 0.05 ohms or if it is a old lady using a enjoy to stay off the Virginia Slims. We're all vapers and we're a community. Hell on forums, some of us develop friendships and bonds that go past that, but we're all in ot together.

Last edited:

vaperature

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I can see what you're saying about not all top shelf juices being good. I do have a bottle of Deadly Sin from Good Life, it was pricey if I recall, got it because Phil Bucardo kept raving about it, I ended up not being all that impressed with it. The Colossal juice I mentioned has a very similar flavor profile but for some reason they're just doing it better.

VU Sponsors