Become a Patron!

I think my "hidden acrolein" theory may be correct

Giraut

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
You remember when you were a smoker, when you smoked way too much before going to bed, how your lungs felt raw and painful the next morning? I usually feel something similar the morning after chain-vaping like a steam locomotive - albeit a lot less painful than with tobacco of course.

Yesterday, I chain-vaped a LOT, and harsh juices full of PG and nicotine too. I probably went through 20 ml, because I was trying out my new mod and couldn't put it down. And this morning? No heaviness in the chest, no nasty feeling in the lungs, nothing.

I think this may well have something to do with my new mod being a DNA40, running with temperature protection on: I wanted a DNA40 because it *ensures* the coils cannot overheat the juice and produce acrolein, and I believe this is exactly what it's done all of yesterday. I've probably vaped a lot cleaner vape than I usually do.

I have this theory you see: acrolein has a harsh taste, and it's responsible for those awful dry hit. Conventional wisdom in the vaping world says you can't really vape acrolein, because you feel it immediately and stop inhaling. Only I'm not so sure: I believe if the coil overheats the juice only a little, and produces only a little acrolein, the slight harsh taste may be "hidden" behind the juice's flavor. It may even be perceived as desirable increased throat hit. In short, low levels of acrolein in the vape may go undetected, because it's below the human body's detection threshold.

This is why I wanted a DNA40: while I trust my body to immediately detect hard, frank dry hits, I don't trust it to detect low levels of acrolein. Given how good I feel this morning after a day of unreasonable vaping, and how quickly the DNA40 goes into temperature protection if I don't keep the wick almost flooded all the time, I think I was right. The vape out of the DNA40 mod doesn't feel any different from the vape out of my E-Mech at similar power levels, but the DNA40 definitely knows when the wick needs wetting, and it tells me so long before I can tell the difference in the vape.

So, I think I may have been inhaling a lot more "hidden acrolein" than I previously though, before getting the DNA40. Kinda scary...

Giraut

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
20 ml REALLY, Houston I think we have a problem!

Well, I usually vape around 5 ml a day. I agree 20 ml was way too much, but it's fairly easy to burn through that much juice with RDAs, which tend to be thirstier than clearos.

Odian

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Can I make a recommendation? I am way too new at this to even think I know what I am talking about....but....I *do* know science, and testing.

Not that i want you to burn through your juice reserves...but you may want to do this again, and see if you have the same results.

Giraut

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I will. I realize it's all subjective, but I don't have the money to have what I vape properly tested, so that's all I can go by :)

Smoky Blue

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Unlisted Vendor
Member For 5 Years
or you could just go into diy..
use vape safe flavors and vape what you what, when you make it for cheaper than what you are spending now..
well, unless you pick up a flavor habbit.. trust me, it's worse than oh look ----> shiny!! :D

Rin Vapes

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
That's an interesting theory. I have noticed that if I've been vaping and notice that my coil is slightly charred that my chest is a little sore the next day. (of course I wasn't knowingly vaping on a charred coil but it happens) Eventually I will have to get a better mod but it probably won't be anytime soon. I can't even afford a Lemo Drop

Odian

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I will. I realize it's all subjective, but I don't have the money to have what I vape properly tested, so that's all I can go by :)
I'm not talking about sending your stuff out to be tested....I am talking about you repeating what you did, to see if the results were the same, or different. :)

Giraut

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
or you could just go into diy..
use vape safe flavors and vape what you what, when you make it for cheaper than what you are spending now..
well, unless you pick up a flavor habbit.. trust me, it's worse than oh look ----> shiny!! :D

I do diy. That's all I vape in fact, apart from a couple of ready-made flavors I can't find nowhere else. Also, most of the time I vape unflavored VG, and afaik you can't get that ready-made anyway.

Giraut

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Can I make a recommendation? I am way too new at this to even think I know what I am talking about....but....I *do* know science, and testing. Not that i want you to burn through your juice reserves...but you may want to do this again, and see if you have the same results.

My juice reserves are large, so... :)

Second day of heavy vaping yesterday, and zero heaviness in the chest this morning. I realize 2 days aren't statistically significant, but I do think I can *feel* the vape is cleaner. My cotton wicks seem to concur.

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
I have a theory about "throat hit".
That is the last thing I want when vaping.
Some unknown thing making the back of my throat hurt.

I have a feeling 30 years from now it will be found that.
Throat hit = some of the harm

that 95% to 99% safer than smoking that scientists are always bickering over.

I wonder how much of that is caused by "throat hit"

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
BTW I love my temp control Vaporflask.

The Subtank ni200 Coils work great too.

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
i'll be exactly 70 years old in 30 years.
Today will be my 70th birthday :)

Smoky Blue

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Unlisted Vendor
Member For 5 Years
lol hey wait I though it was 25?? am I missing something?? :D :p

Smoky Blue

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Unlisted Vendor
Member For 5 Years
dang it Zman I just dropped my ipv.. :D :D :D You funny!! :) but so right!!

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
When I was 12 I had a paper route and was a caddy at the local golf course. Nowadays, mummy and dadums wouldn't let junior or little miss out of the house without a security contingent.

Jaaxx

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Keep in mind, breathing hot air is very bad for you. Most deaths from fires are caused by smoke or breathing super heated air. So keep vaping those builds with a 400+ Heat Flux!

stevegmu

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I thought dry hits were caused by breathing in the nasties a hot, dry coil gives off...

Smoky Blue

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Unlisted Vendor
Member For 5 Years
I thought dry hits were caused by breathing in the nasties a hot, dry coil gives off...

i rarely get those.. but i did catch my wick on fire dry burning it a while back.. :p been a while since I did that :)

CDZVaper

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Just to add some more content to your unofficial experiment, there have been several mornings, Id say at least 10 but no more than 20, when Id wake up with a faint sore throat after chain vaping the prior day.

My thought/ feeling was it was because of a few dry hits OR the monster cumulous/nimbus clouds coming out of my nostrils.

Now that Im thinking about it Ive no clue what its from specifically. But its vaping related. That said, I couldn't care less, Im not smoking cigarettes anymore, fuck em.

VU Sponsors