Become a Patron!

I thought I was buying Wrangler today

joeyboy

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
So today was the today the wife and I decided to look at Wranglers. I've been wanting one for a long time to start 4x4ing. Well, we go to the dealership and I sit in almost every one from a sport to a rubicon. My lower back just can't take it. It was like instant spasm.

Guess I'm keeping my 2014 Ram. It only has 10,500 miles and I do use it as a truck sometimes so it's a win win. I also love the power the hemi has.

bobnat

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
So today was the today the wife and I decided to look at Wranglers. I've been wanting one for a long time to start 4x4ing. Well, we go to the dealership and I sit in almost every one from a sport to a rubicon. My lower back just can't take it. It was like instant spasm.

Guess I'm keeping my 2014 Ram. It only has 10,500 miles and I do use it as a truck sometimes so it's a win win. I also love the power the hemi has.

I bought a new Jeep two years ago, mainly because I wanted to take the roof off. It's amazing in the deserts here, but for any driving over an hour it does get to be uncomfortable.

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
I drove a CJ7 for almost 20 years - was great fun till I got old :confused:

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Have driven nothing but jeeps for 20 plus years.... you get used to it..... currently in an XJ. Better ride than a short W/B wrangler. Roof sucks a bit but you get used to that also.. just cant get into the 4 door wrangler. Too big..... Think next Jeep will be older Wrangler and a Newer Grand for the street.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

bobnat

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Have driven nothing but jeeps for 20 plus years.... you get used to it..... currently in an XJ. Better ride than a short W/B wrangler. Roof sucks a bit but you get used to that also.. just cant get into the 4 door wrangler. Too big..... Think next Jeep will be older Wrangler and a Newer Grand for the street.

I love my Jeep. It's a standard which can be a pain in traffic, but it's awesome in the desert.

I gotta tell you this story, you'll appreciate it.

Early in the winter I didn't take the entire roof off, just the t tops. We have two cats who like to sleep in my Jeep. It drives me mad. So at night I'll lay the t tops on the roof without locking them down as I remove them in the morning. Well, one night after dinner my wife says she has to go to the store. We live in a compound of 4 villas and we have a long narrow driveway, so I was parked behind her. About 15 minutes later I'm in the kitchen doing the dishes when she walks in and says she has to tell me something. I knew it was bad from the look on her face.

She had taken my jeep without telling me. Normally we always say if we're taking each other's car. Not this time. She made it out to the main road, got up to 45mph and the t tops just blew the fuck off. Thankfully no one was behind her. To her credit, she did go back to get them. They were beat up a bit, but in remarkably good shape considering. What I wouldn't give to see the look on her face when they went ballistic. The best part is the insurance company paid for it. I didn't know they covered stupid shit. It's a good company. I'll never let her forget it.

joeyboy

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I love my Jeep. It's a standard which can be a pain in traffic, but it's awesome in the desert.

Early in the winter I didn't take the entire roof off, just the t tops. We have two cats who like to sleep in my Jeep. It drives me mad. So at night I'll lay the t tops on the roof without locking them down as I remove them in the morning. Well, one night after dinner my wife says she has to go to the store. We live in a compound of 4 villas and we have a long narrow driveway, so I was parked behind her. About 15 minutes later I'm in the kitchen doing the dishes when she walks in and says she has to tell me something. I knew it was bad from the look on her face.

She had taken my jeep without telling me. Normally we always say if we're taking each other's car. Not this time. She made it out to the main road, got up to 45mph and the t tops just blew the fuck off. Thankfully no one was behind her. To her credit, she did go back to get them. They were beat up a bit, but in remarkably good shape considering. What I wouldn't give to see the look on her face when they went ballistic. The best part is the insurance company paid for it. I didn't know they covered stupid shit. It's a good company. I'll never let her forget it.
Holy crap. I know what I would've yelled of that had happened to me. Great story.

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon

Man, I thought you were gonna say one, or both, of the cats had gotten "wrangled" up inside the top. Whew!

joeyboy

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I did research aftermarket seats but I'm going back to the dealership in a couple of months to try again. The odd thing was I sat in almost every JKU on the lot and none sat the same. One was actually doable I think. I'm not done because I want to go wheeling in the desert here.

I did sit in one with 35s and a 4 inch lift. It was comfortable but I decided against it. The funny thing is my wife came over while I was in it and reminded me that I would be driving it to work. I just laughed.

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Always wanted one, UNTIL I got some wheel time and the clutch throw and lack of space made driving it for me impossible.

gakudzu

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Mine was my daily driver for 6 years, on 36's with 6" lift, stock 5-speed and drivetrain.:D My 5' 2" daughter learned to drive in it. I gave it to her when she turned 18, and it was her daily for 2 years. It had right around 200K miles on it, with nary a major mechanical issue. She ended up trading it for 3 months rent($1800), after the underhood fuse box caught fire.

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
I have always kinda sorta wanted one for winter driving.

But with my bad back I would really need something with comfortable seating.

Are there any aftermarket seats available to replace the ones that come with them?

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Holy crap. I know what I would've yelled of that had happened to me. Great story.

IDK... I learned a long time ago...... JEEP stands for Just Empty Every Pocket, for a reason..... Damage is part of the deal..... If you actually USE your Jeep as a Jeep that is. So whether that damage is the result of little mistakes, (parking lots dings, T-Tops launch or STUUUUUUUUPID ones they tend to affect you about the same.... another weekend of wrenching instead of wheeling. And a story to tell.

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
IDK... I learned a long time ago...... JEEP stands for Just Empty Every Pocket, for a reason..... Damage is part of the deal..... If you actually USE your Jeep as a Jeep that is. So whether that damage is the result of little mistakes, (parking lots dings, T-Tops launch or STUUUUUUUUPID ones they tend to affect you about the same.... another weekend of wrenching instead of wheeling. And a story to tell.

Kinda reminds me of my youth when my circle of friends all had motorcycles. One of them had a Harley Davidson.

Every trip we went on his bike would break down at least once!

So we came up with a slogan for him.

Ride a Harley, Ride the Best.
Ride a Mile and Walk the Rest............................:giggle:

bobnat

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years

On top of that is all the great stuff you can do to a Jeep. It's like the man's equivalent of a Barbie doll. Accessories, baby.

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I loved the late 60/early 70s jeeps.
Back when they had steel and big motherfucking engines.

bobnat

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have always kinda sorta wanted one for winter driving.

But with my bad back I would really need something with comfortable seating.

Are there any aftermarket seats available to replace the ones that come with them?

I'm pretty sure if you can think of it, someone has already made it for a Jeep.

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Thanks for putting that picture in my head. Hmmm, cat tied to t-top...how would that work out? :devil:
no.gif

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years

Everyone should own 1 old style Jeep so they will never want another one.
My philosophy is that owning a wrangler style jeep takes a strong back and a weak mind.

Ok for serious slow speed off roading aside from that though....

gakudzu

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I loved the late 60/early 70s jeeps.
Back when they had steel and big motherfucking engines.
Yep. Pretty sure the paper-thin sheet metal and 4-banger are what kept me from breakin shit lol.

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Everyone should own 1 old style Jeep so they will never want another one.
My philosophy is that owning a wrangler style jeep takes a strong back and a weak mind.

Ok for serious slow speed off roading aside from that though....
Short wheel base and freeway/bridge expansion joints.....add balloons for tires. Yee Hah!

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
You all have about talked me out of this vehicle.

4x4 suv and trucks are NOT great commuting vehicles....... Jeeps at least the wranglers are the ultimate SUV. Emphasis on SPORT and utility..... there are not for comfort.. they are for getting you to where you want to go.. without out having to detour around obstacles.

I love my Jeeps... but do agree they are not for everyone. It is State of Mind.

bobnat

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
4x4 suv and trucks are NOT great commuting vehicles....... Jeeps at least the wranglers are the ultimate SUV. Emphasis on SPORT and utility..... there are not for comfort.. they are for getting you to where you want to go.. without out having to detour around obstacles.

In the UAE there are a massive amount of SUVs, mainly Land Cruisers and Patrols. It's normal to drive over things all the time, such as sidewalks, and it's one of the reasons I love my Jeep.

joeyboy

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years

I have a Ram 4x4 Sport and love the drive and power. I had a Sierra Z71 and put quite a few miles on it. It was a commuter vehicle. Loved it and it did great on the beach. I'm done with the jeep thing, at least for a few months.

brandon david

Bronze Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years

I daily an 08 z71. It's great for commuting. Comfy, rides great, plenty of power with the 5.3, etc.

I daily drove my 97 TJ for almost 5 years while building it also. Not the most comfortable drive but not uncomfortable by any stretch. It now sits for the most part other than buzzing around occasionally in good weather or if I have some crawling time. It's had maybe 2k miles put on it in the last couple of years. Still love it as much as the day I bought it.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I daily an 08 z71. It's great for commuting. Comfy, rides great, plenty of power with the 5.3, etc.

I daily drove my 97 TJ for almost 5 years while building it also. Not the most comfortable drive but not uncomfortable by any stretch. It now sits for the most part other than buzzing around occasionally in good weather or if I have some crawling time. It's had maybe 2k miles put on it in the last couple of years. Still love it as much as the day I bought it.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
My DD vehicle for the last 25 years has been a Lifted Jeep.

I didn't say 4x4 couldn't be comfortable.... and a good daily driver... just that they are NOT the Best at that..... truck today are comfortable to drive..... but a car us still a better commuting vehicle. And the more capable a rig is OFF the pavement the less comfortable it is ON the pavement.....

joeyboy

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
My DD vehicle for the last 25 years has been a Lifted Jeep.

I didn't say 4x4 couldn't be comfortable.... and a good daily driver... just that they are NOT the Best at that..... truck today are comfortable to drive..... but a car us still a better commuting vehicle. And the more capable a rig is OFF the pavement the less comfortable it is ON the pavement.....

A few times I had to get around traffic going up an embankment or across a ditch. My trucks did fine. The cars I've had? I would not want to try that. I understand.

I do really want one but just don't think it's going to happen. I still look at them, dumb me.

bobnat

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Two years ago I told my wife I wanted a Jeep. Why, she asked. I replied that I don't drink, do drugs or have a girlfriend. I need some excitement in my life. I suggested that I could find a girlfriend to go drinking with. She told me to get a Jeep. True story.

VU Sponsors