Become a Patron!

I was given some 20ga N80. WTF do I do with it?

KeyserSoze

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I usually run 24-26ga Kanthal. I've never messed with N80 before. A buddy gave me some of this N80 that you could build a sweet ass coat hanger out of. He said I have to try it because it's not working out for him. I'm cool with that but it looks like I'll have to do 7 wraps, 1/8" duals just to get up to 0.1 ohms... I don't have any 30mm attys, just 22s. I would be putting this in a MutationX v1 with a chuff cap or a stock MXv2.

Maybe I should do a single coil 7 wrap @ 0.2? I'm a little scared of a the heat capacity of the dual coil 0.1 ohm setup. It's super high when I run it through the Steam Engine calc. I'm not sure more than 7 wraps will fit in the atty, plus it just increases the heat capacity and decreases the heat flux. Both are negatives for me.

I definitely won't be trying this on a mech, just on the IPV3.

Any suggestions? I'd like to have something I can vape for more than a few pulls if possible. TIA!

KeyserSoze

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
20agwo_O

People use wire that thick? Ramp-up time sounds hideous.
I don't think there's any way around crappy ramp times. And yeah I've seen as big as 16ga used I don't know why. 23ga is too slow for me.

1. Build a sweet ass coat hanger.

2. Post pics.

Bonus likes awarded if said coat hanger is supporting a smoking jacket...

LMAO. The only problem is that he didn't give me enough for a full sized coat hanger and a kid sized smoking jacket is just fucked up.

KeyserSoze

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I run 22 gauge in my Mutation at about .18 at 95 watts. It heats up pretty quickly.
Oh OK awesome. It's n80? It's supposed to ramp faster than kanthal but IIRC steam engine disagreed.

f1r3b1rd

https://cookingwithlegs.com/
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Does it have any resistance? Lol kidding
I bet you could use it to build a crab trap.

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Oh OK awesome. It's n80? It's supposed to ramp faster than kanthal but IIRC steam engine disagreed.
The trick is to make a spaced rather than a macro coil. Easy to do with that thick stuff.

KeyserSoze

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
The trick is to make a spaced rather than a macro coil. Easy to do with that thick stuff.
I gotcha. I've done a few spaced coils before with 26ga and 24ga. I like them. I'll see if this one will fit when spaced. I usually wrap around a 6-32 screw for spaced coils. Makes them nice and even.

I'm thinking I'll put these coils in the chuffed MXv1. I get the feeling I'm going to need all the airflow I can get. Which, in that attys case, is ALL of it.

Zamazam = the freakin man!

VU Sponsors