Become a Patron!

If 2X700 batteries are taking over then why?

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Wish I could see the sales figures on both models about midway next year.
Curious....

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm sticking with my 18650's unless I'm forced to upgrade because of availability. No too long ago everything coming out was a 26650 and that didn't last.
Same here I see no overpowering reason to swap out my hardware and batteries.
To me the gain is slight.

18650's will be around for quite a while many other uses for them besides vaping.

Last edited:

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I’d jump on the “bigger than 18650” bandwagon if I was able to get my hands on some of these Samsung INR21700-30T batteries and some mods that can use them. First time I’ve seen a battery get rated as a true 40A rating.
https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/t...lts-an-incredible-40a-3100mah-battery.798683/

You're not drinking water are you?! You realize that stuff is found in antifreeze!?!
Yeah but most of us do not need a 40A battery.

They make automobiles that will go 200 mph or better but do I need one?

I am not saying by any means not to get a 2X700 setup. Some of them are better than 18650 setups.
I am just wondering if they WILL replace the 18650 in vaping.
Some say they will I am not as convinced.

Hillbilly Pig

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Reddit Exile
I don't think the 18650 mods are going anywhere anytime soon, cause there's still good money to be made with them. One day, maybe, but not today. Unless all battery vendors just all of a sudden stop making 18650's, which again good money. So I'm not gonna worry for awhile 'bout them going nowhere.

Canadian Vaper

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
There's a few reasons really.

1. They are a fairly new technology and haven't even hit their full potential yet.
2. Most B&M's simply don't even carry them.
3. People are reluctant to change due to already having piles of 18650's and mods that use 18650's
4. A lot of people would have to update their charger.
5. Increased costs, from what I understand they cost almost the exact same to produce as a 18650 cell however supply vs demand is keeping prices high for now and eventually the costs should come down.

I'm sure there's a lot more reasons but when it comes down to it I think we'll eventually see a shift in the industry, electric car manufacturers are switching over, portable power tool manufacturers are switching over as well because the performance to size increase ratio is worth it especially at higher amperage's for instance compare a LG HB6 1500mah 18650 30A cell to an Sanyo NCR20700A 3000mah 30A cell which offers double the capacity for a very minimal size increase. I'll tell ya if we saw that much capacity increase in the mid range 20A cells 2*700's would be much more prevalent in the industry than they are now, just imagine a 5000mah single cell device but unfortunately that not how things work when it comes to battery chemistry and based on what I've seen I think the maximum mah increase in the mid battery range will be about 4500mah and 20A (MVA 25A limited by temperature). if a cell like that were to be created a 9000mah dual cell device would probably take over the current 3 18650 cell and the dual 18650 cell market.

Comparing these with 26650 isn't really fair, they are big and heavy, 20700's could possibly fit in the housings of many mods on the market with a battery sled change.

Edit* I don't use or own 2*700 batteries or devices I just follow battery science closely.

Last edited:

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
There's a few reasons really.

1. They are a fairly new technology and haven't even hit their full potential yet.
2. Most B&M's simply don't even carry them.
3. People are reluctant to change due to already having piles of 18650's and mods that use 18650's
4. A lot of people would have to update their charger.
5. Increased costs, from what I understand they cost almost the exact same to produce as a 18650 cell however supply vs demand is keeping prices high for now and eventually the costs should come down.

I'm sure there's a lot more reasons but when it comes down to it I think we'll eventually see a shift in the industry, electric car manufacturers are switching over, portable power tool manufacturers are switching over as well because the performance to size increase ratio is worth it especially at higher amperage's for instance compare a LG HB6 1500mah 18650 30A cell to an Sanyo NCR20700A 3000mah 30A cell which offers double the capacity for a very minimal size increase. I'll tell ya if we saw that much capacity increase in the mid range 20A cells 2*700's would be much more prevalent in the industry than they are now, just imagine a 5000mah single cell device but unfortunately that not how things work when it comes to battery chemistry and based on what I've seen I think the maximum mah increase in the mid battery range will be about 4500mah and 20A (MVA 25A limited by temperature). if a cell like that were to be created a 9000mah dual cell device would probably take over the current 3 18650 cell and the dual 18650 cell market.

Comparing these with 26650 isn't really fair, they are big and heavy, 20700's could possibly fit in the housings of many mods on the market with a battery sled change.

Edit* I don't use or own 2*700 batteries or devices I just follow battery science closely.
Great post.
thanks

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Who told you they are taking over? For me, personally, they are worth it because the VTC5A doesn't last very long in a dual series mech compared to using dual iJoy 5-legged 20700s as well as because the VTC5A heats up faster in a single battery mech despite that the difference in runtime in a single battery mech is not that impressive. In addition, the iJoy 20700 has been being widely available... it turned out to be a rewrap of the Molicel 20700 and the performance turned out to be exactly the same. Finally, there have been released several more rewraps of this same battery by other brands (Efest/Ampking/EBAT/EnerCig/Keeppower/Vappower) by now so the supply of this battery can't easily be gauged by one single brand. As for the 21700s, the Golisi 21700 is a 30 amp 3700 mAh battery. That's actually double the mAh of the 30 amp 18650 Vapcell Black, but I'm holding off 21700s for now simply because the only 21700 available to me right now is the iJoy 21700, which doesn't perform any better than the 20700. I'm not abandoning the VTC5A nor am abandoning any of my 18650 mods. I just like to have my cake and eat it too. :p

VU Sponsors