Become a Patron!

If you could design your perfect vape shop...

I am in the process of opening up a new vape chain in the Phoenix Area. There will be 3 total by the time we open the doors. My questions would be as follows...

1. What kind of shopping perks would you like to see a vape shop offer?

2. What kinds of things would you like to see in the store locations that would make you want to use it as a place to hang out beyond the time of purchase?

3. Do you have any things that you dislike that your local vape shop does??

I appreciate your feedback in advance!!!

OBDave

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Perfect, eh?

1. Prices close to on par with US-shipped online options.

2. Pool/ping-pong/shuffleboard tables, and craft beer on tap.

3. I don't like condescending attitudes, poorly-informed employees (often the most condescending), or exorbitant prices - though I understand competitive with online vendors isn't likely to be feasible with only a 3-location chain, if you tried to keep your markup to 20% or so above the internet competition I think it's reasonable.

dre

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I'd shop at more b&M's if the prices were a lot closer or matching the online price.

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
Hire folks with knowledge and experience that can answer all questions and teach folks things like building coils.

Decent prices on gear and liquids.

Big screen TV hooked to a PC or Laptop to show instructional videos.

WiFi access. Perhaps after hours events for your customers to participate on Mod Envy.

Host local vape meets and the like.

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I am in the process of opening up a new vape chain in the Phoenix Area. There will be 3 total by the time we open the doors. My questions would be as follows...

2. What kinds of things would you like to see in the store locations that would make you want to use it as a place to hang out beyond the time of purchase?

out of curiosity how much are you gonna spend to be able to open a vape shop.

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
1.) Knowledgeable Staff:cool:
2.) Competitive prices (a tank 15 dollars more than you can buy the same tank for online is not acceptable nor is any item really):eek:
3.) ONLY OFFER QUALITY BATTERIES!!!!!!!!!..dont sell a mod with trustfire batteries :(
4.) Offer low cost items (tanks, mods, accessories) but not the crappiest stuff you can find because it was cheapest...When someone buys something from you and it fails they remember where they bought it from..just sayin.;)
6.) REQUIRE PROPER ID FOR ANY SALES!!!!!!!!:mad:

Last edited:

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Most vape shop appeal to 20 somethings that want to blow big cloud... vape sweet syrupy juice...and vape 0-3% nice levels...and to be honest they are a pretty good group of kids and pretty self aware,and think for themselves,I've been really impressed by the younger vapers....despite covering themselves in garish tattos and baseball caps.....and they are probablly the market....
but it would be refreshing to have a vape shop that had no big screens,had juice for more refined tastes, had a wide range of juices with nic levels that went up to 18mg served coffee and beer,had newspapers and books around hell even a few stuffy chairs with foot stools....played a wide variety of music other than rap or hip hop....had all levels of vape gear from starters to advanced ...sold ALL rebuildable materials, had clones and authentics at good prices...had a bulletin board where people could post gear the wanted to sell, trade, or buy.....had members of the staff who actually know what a genny is and how to build one...and well of course the naked women.

f1r3b1rd

https://cookingwithlegs.com/
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Most vape shop appeal to 20 somethings that want to blow big cloud... vape sweet syrupy juice...and vape 0-3% nice levels...and to be honest they are a pretty good group of kids and pretty self aware,and think for themselves,I've been really impressed by the younger vapers....despite covering themselves in garish tattos and baseball caps.....and they are probablly the market....
but it would be refreshing to have a vape shop that had no big screens,had juice for more refined tastes, had a wide range of juices with nic levels that went up to 18mg served coffee and beer,had newspapers and books around hell even a few stuffy chairs with foot stools....played a wide variety of music other than rap or hip hop....and well of course the naked women.
In other words, a cigar bar In the French quarter ... Only with vape stuff instead of cigars and women with more clothes on

bondo

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Lmao,great suggestions so far....

In all seriousness,I'd love to see a b&m do a trade in/pif program.
maybe a 10% discount of retail on fair to new condition trade in towards NIB gear.
the proprietor could then sell said trade in as "used and certified" for 30-50% under retail.
Win,win,win...
The proprietor gets gear in fair condition to resale at profit. Not as much as new but any profit is keeping you in the green.

the trade in customer gets a discount on new for old gear and the "used" customer gets quality gear at a fraction of retail.
I'm aware that this cuts into the propieters main sales but at the same time it opens doors for potential customers that might not have the means to purchase top end quality gear at top end prices.
It also expands the proprietors selection over the basic humdrum. I.e. sigelei, ipv,p4y,etc..

ziggzagg

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Offer free tutorials on building coils for the beginners. And like someone else said noncondensending sales staff . So even a beginner feels welcome. That was the hardest thing for me when I started Vaping.

Alot of you all have mentioned "noncondensending sales staff". Is this something that is very common in alot of shops?? What makes them condescending?? Is it that they come across as arrogant because they have all the knowledge? Or is it that they just like what brands and mods they like and if you don't like the same ones then your wrong??

Thank you all again for your input so far..this is really huge!!!

Vash

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Alot of you all have mentioned "noncondensending sales staff". Is this something that is very common in alot of shops?? What makes them condescending?? Is it that they come across as arrogant because they have all the knowledge? Or is it that they just like what brands and mods they like and if you don't like the same ones then your wrong??

Can be a little of both,also god forbid you know something they don't and correct them and they get attitude lol

Last edited:

ziggzagg

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Right a little of both. Or kinda like a d@#k measuring contest. If you don't have the biggest bad ass mod you aren't shit. Just seen some places like this. Not all shops are this way.

bondo

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years

It is very common.
it's pretty intimidating for a new vaper to walk into a shop with a pocketful of coin.
they expect the clerk to be straight forward and to protect their hard earned dollar. Instead they get(more often then not) a headstrong know it all looking to capitalize on their lack of knowledge.
I've been privy to it,witnessed it and even corrected it.
for your sake as well as your future customers,please hire knowledgeable individuals and pay them hourly over commission.
an hourly rate will help cease the ill-information simply for a sale.

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon

Around me we have several shops now. The competition tends to keep them all in check. A few years back we only had 2 and everyone was an ass to you unless you were already a hobbyist(it was like walking into ecf)
A new vapor had to decide where they wanted to fucked

Last edited:

dantefire

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years

There are now a large assortment of B/M's in the Raleigh area, and all but two have multiple employees that are total asshats. They're either younger employees who don't care about service, they just want to socialize with their friends hanging out, or they're out to get the immediate sale through pushy condescending service, rather than invest a serious amount of time exploring solutions to their consumers needs in order to build a customer for life.

The two shops that I love to hit up here have very knowledgeable teams, they have very diverse teams, and all of them are not only well trainined in the products they sell, but have been obviously grilled that service is the most important thing.

hitman4274

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years

1. price is everything.. if i can get it way cheaper online I will...
2. sofas, coffee, soda, chairs... lounge.. pool table... video games(old school arcade or new consoles)
3. Prices... lol they kill it $13 wholesale juice is sold for $20-22 which is pretty killer....

Hours of operation are a huge thing.... stay open late.. if your open 10-5 and i work 7-7 you will never see me...

Last edited:

Hey! it's just Ray...

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I keep wanting to have our band play at a vape shop. The vape shop I go to has just the right empty corner for a band to play too.

I mention it to the owner and he liked the idea asking for a fee amount and a demo.

Told my band but they think I'm a dipshit for vaping beinging the only vaper out of the 5 of us and laughed me off between nasty cigarette coughs.

Working on putting together a whole new band from scratch as we vape.

scarecrowjenkins

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Keep your juices on display, and in a manner where customers can at least read the names. It's super annoying when you have to keep asking "do you have this or that" rather than just being able to look. There's a place i go to sometimes out of desperation and all they have is a menu. Half the juices aren't even in it, and it only serves to frustrate people.
And keep the profit margins slim, you'll move more product and give people no reason NOT to come into your shop.
For instance, a shop i REALLY like has a freakshow mini clone for $40. An hour later i walk into VaporShark and there's the authentic for $30, same as online. I haven't ordered it because i didn't really want it THAT bad to fuss with the online credit card bit. But i walked in and there it was for the same price as every website. You bet your ass i walked out with it-because it was there, and it wasn't $10-20 more than i saw it online.
You won't make as much per item, but you'll keep things moving all the time and i'd be willing to bet you'll be putting more money away than if you marked everything up.

dantefire

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Something that happened to me today in a shop...

They have a shit ton of juice options. I tried to bite on four different flavors, which their signs clearly said they carried, but they were out of stock in either the entire line, or in the mg nic I wanted.

If they would create dry erase signs to clearly indicate when something is temporarily out of stock, they'd have saved me the most important thing I have the least amount of. Time. I'm willing to pay a little B/M mark up. It's expected, with employee salary and rent overhead to manage. One of my local shops even offers their full timers benefits. I support this in spirit and with my dollars. But when you waste my time... You lose my business.

OBDave

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years

I tend to find many shops staffed by kids aged 19-23 or so who've found one way of vaping - usually super low-resistance mechs or high-wattage regulated devices - that believe they've discovered the "right" way to do it and need to educate everyone else who's "doing it wrong." I think it may be age and lack of perspective that guides these viewpoints as much as anything, I know I was certainly like that in my younger days.

You'll probably need to hire mostly barely-legal staff, since they'll be the ones interested in the jobs and willing to work for the peanuts I'm assuming most vape shop jobs (or retail jobs in general) are willing to pay, but if you can, go out of your way to help them realize that a) they don't know everything yet, and that the next generation of vape technology is likely only a few months around the corner and it'll leave what they think they know now in the dust; and b) that some of the older folks (I'm counting myself here even though I've barely hit my mid-thirties) see smoking cessation as a completely different objective as compared to "blowing sick clouds, bro!" Different populations have completely different goals with vaping, different hardware and juice requirements, and neither is right or wrong, they're just different.

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Around me we have several shops now. The competition tends to keep them all in check. A few years back we only had 2 and everyone was an ass to you unless you were already a hobbyist(it was like walking into ecf)
A new vapor had to decide where they wanted to fucked
has anyone ever told you, you lack the verbal brake in your thought process, that "normal" people take for granted,and it makes them uncomfortable.......my wife tells me that all the time.

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
has anyone ever told you, you lack the verbal brake in your thought process, that "normal" people take for granted,and it makes them uncomfortable.......
huh?
I've been told that I have no filter.

LiftedXJ

vapin pork eating crusader
VU Donator
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
all these problems with what jucies at what level of nic they have them in could be solved pretty easy, look at all the head shops in Colorado with just a simple white board system

BoomStick

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
One of my local shops sells their own juice that they mix on the spot for you with any vg/pg ratio and nic level you want. Price is too high though. $10 for 15ml. Doing that at reasonable prices would be cool. Having an assortment of o-rings and screws would be nice too. Being able to adjust how pieces fit together by being able to find just the right o-rings and being able to get the exact screws you want can turn a mediocre piece into a real gem.

Sounds like everyone is agreeing on the price point and customer experience aspects. Definitely great input guys and girls, thank you!!

What about rewards programs? Buy soo many juiced get some free? Or spend XX amount get XX amount off our next purchase etc. Do you all have experience with these types of reards? Good/bad? etc...

raqball

VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
1. Ventilation! There is one vape shop here that I don't think has any. You walk into the joint and at times, you can't even see the walls across the room. I don't go there anymore.

2. Knowledgeable and friendly staff. When a new vaper comes in you need employees that will spend some time with them. Find out why they want to vape (throat hit, clouds, ect) and what they are comfortable doing. Are they comfortable building? You get the point.

3. A vape bar to try out different juices. Maybe a pool table or something like that. TV's and maybe if you are brave a PS3 or an Xbox with various games for people to unleash on.

4. Variety and selection. High end gear, mid level gear and starter gear. You want to appeal to every level of vaper.

5. Weekly events. How to's (like how to build coils) maybe some contests like best RDA, RBA build. ect.

6. Fair prices. I do not expect a local vape shop to match online prices but I also don't expect them to be to the point of price gouging either. If I can buy a mod online for $150 then I'll gladly pay $170 to get it local and support a local business. If it were $200 local, then I'd buy online.

7. Rewards Program. A shop I visit often offers 10% off the next purchase for every $100 spent. I think right now I have 4 10% off codes that I can use. I can't use all 4 at once though.

Maybe a free bottle of juice for every $100 spent? If someone spends $300 in your shop they get to choose 3 bottles of juice...

Best of luck with your shops! I hope they are a smash hit and are successful for you!

Last edited:

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Sounds like everyone is agreeing on the price point and customer experience aspects. Definitely great input guys and girls, thank you!!

What about rewards programs? Buy soo many juiced get some free? Or spend XX amount get XX amount off our next purchase etc. Do you all have experience with these types of reards? Good/bad? etc...
One of our better shops here does that, its frat to bet people to come in multiple times, but in the end I go to that shop for the customer service and staff.
He gives a discount off the top to regulars so none of us that frequent the shop even bother with the reward thingy.
In fact I forgot about it till I saw your question. Maybe I've been baited and switched. Lol
The consignment case someone,mentioned is a killer idea

rt smith

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I feel, price is atleast 50% and personel is the other 50% My local vape shop had a set up I wantted for 190.00, bought the same set up online for 99.00 with free ship. I would have paid my local shop 125. without a problem but not double! These people are friedly and helpful but prics are way to high and I cannot afford it.

twisted

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Some type of reward system. I know there's a shop by me that every dollar equals one point. And by building points you can get coil builds, drip tips, juice, rdas, tanks and so forth. When I got 30 points I had them make me a duel Clapton coil. At 125 points got a free 30 ml premium juice. It keeps the costumer coming back to build up points for free stuff. As long as you have good stuff to buy. They use a app called fivestars so the user can keep track of points and what they can get. It will also send out emails for sales or discounts.

OBDave

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years

I like the idea of a rewards program as a little bonus for regulars, but to be honest if your prices are good you'll probably be one of the only shops in town with good prices, and I'd frequent your shop for that reason anyway. If your prices and/or customer service suck, a free bottle of overpriced juice for every 10 I buy isn't going to be enough to buy my loyalty...

Sir Vapesalot

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Friendly, helpful employees.... Competitive pricing, REWARDS PROGRAM!! My local b&m has the "five stars" rewards program that integrates with their pos system, you get a point for every dollar spent... 100 points is a free bottle of juice, 250 is three bottles.. 500 is $50 in store credit and 750 gets you a copper flagship mech mod! Five stars also has an android/iPhone app that keeps track of your points. For me personally the rewards program keeps me loyal to that store.

dantefire

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Something else, most shops round here use shitty clearos for their testers. I get that it's more cost effective. But imagine how many more juices I may have bought early on if a better atomizer was used?

Dragger

VU Donator
Member For 4 Years
As others have stated, it's price, product, and service.

I'm ready for the flames but I will state that an independent shop will NEVER approach online prices. It simply isn't possible. There's a local shop whose owner and I have developed sort of a friendship so I'm aware of his struggle to keep the doors open.

Thing is, on most of the popular stuff:
A: His suppliers never have it in stock
B. He pays as much as (often more than) the internet price.
C. He won't get first shot at the new stuff and preferred prices until he gets a lot bigger
D. See A

Wholesale isn't what a lot of you seem to think. The good deals you see online come from ordering direct from the manufacturer and getting pallet full or even shipping container quantities. The local store can't touch that.

No, I'm not talking about the creeps who double retail price. But if you expect your local store to sell a $50 item to make $!0, they can't survive on that.

Just as a yardstick, consider Costco. They keep making money and gaining market share. Their business model allows no more than a 13% markup. But all that does is cover the overhead, and no profit is made. How do they stay in business and make money? From the yearly membership fees, almost totally.

The local store has the best stuff he can afford to buy, and he stands behind it 110%. He refuses to sell junk. I still buy from him when I can because I value his service and advice. Yes, I buy a lot online when I see an untouchable price. Otherwise, I give him first shot and even pay $20 or $25 more sometimes just because it's an investment in having the store available.

So, get the relationship with your customers by being fair, honest, and helpful. Stand behind your products even when it hurts.

Guys and girls your help has been invaluable!!! You've actually caused me to change a few idea's that we had.

One last question...and I know it's personal preference on brands. I have brand's I like, everyone is different. But I would like to know what brands that you would stay away from, and what brands are a must have.

dantefire

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Guys and girls your help has been invaluable!!! You've actually caused me to change a few idea's that we had.

One last question...and I know it's personal preference on brands. I have brand's I like, everyone is different. But I would like to know what brands that you would stay away from, and what brands are a must have.

Are you trying to land a diverse customer base? Cater to new vapers? Hard core crowd?

What's your intended target audience?

BoomStick

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
With atomizers and mechs I don't think brand matters so much. It's more about the quality of the specific piece. I do care a little about brands with devices that contain electronics. Even then a company can have one model that sucks and another that's great. The first category that comes to mind where brand is important is batteries and chargers. I don't trust or use rewraps. Sony, Samsung and LG batteries only and Xtar, Efest Luc and Nitecore chargers only.

Barbara E.

VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Interesting conversation.

First of all, did I understand you correctly - that the store you're opening will be the THIRD vape store in Phoenix!!?!!?!?!?! Or did you mean *your* third store?? (We have about 30 stores in Greenville, SC and we have about 1/20th of Phoenix's population.)

Anyway, juice samples in decent clearos is a necessity. Being able to try juice before you buy it is the single biggest advantage B&Ms have over online sites. Having friendly employees available to answer questions, etc. is the second-biggest advantage. Play to those strengths.

A B&M can't match online prices (unless you're a big chain). Be as reasonable as you can but accept that there are some people who will always go for the absolute cheapest price. And then they will come to you with their questions. Be nice to them, it often pays off because they'll remember that you helped them out even when you didn't have to.

Percentage-wise, it's easier to make a profit on smaller things (coils, juice, tanks) over bigger things (devices).

I'm iffy on the 'comfortable place to hang out' plan. Friendly, yes, but you don't necessarily want people to hang around for hours. We've had quite a few customers tell us they don't like going to certain other stores specifically because there's always people hanging around in there and it made them feel uncomfortable.

Never badmouth another store.

I know a lot of stores have 'reward programs'. We do not (since I, personally, think they're scams and I don't like giving out my personal information). I have had customers ask about them but I just say that we believe in offering a good price to everyone all the time. Since we tend to be cheaper than our competitors, it hasn't been a problem. Also, we give out free juice fairly frequently to regular customers.

Brands to carry - obviously KangerTech, Aspire, and Innokin are the big three (at least in this area). It might be different where you are. But carry coils/accessories for other brands. We have a devoted bunch of customers that come to us because we're one of the few stores that still carries iClear 16/30 heads.

I could keep going on but it's getting late. Feel free to PM me if you have any more specific questions.

VU Sponsors