Become a Patron!

Ijoy EXO RTA

Paratech

I forgot
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hey guys (and gals) quick question about the Exo RTA, i seem to have some wicking issues with the single coil deck, i have been using the provided claptons and although the taste is great if i take a 1-2 sec drag, i cant seem to avoid dry hits if i take a longer puff like longer than 3 sec. I always have the same bad taste after a long puff or if i try to chain vape. I tried a couple of diffrent wicking methods, putting the cotton fluffy but sealing all the juice fllow (not too tight though) or cutting the wick shorter and only covering half of the holes so thet the wick does not touch the bottom, neither seems to solve the problem. I also run it at 30-34 watts (~0.35 ohms for the provided coils) if i run it higher the shorter the puff i can take before the bad taste comes out. AFC is from half open to fully open, that doesnt seem to change much on the duration of the drag. (Side info im using 60/40 VG/PG ratio at the moment.)

Oh also i always seem to find some drops of juice under the pin in the 510 connector, is there anyway to fix that or i hust have to accept the fact?

Other than that i have to say that vaping on this RTA is really enjoyable, this thing leaks less than standard tanks, just have to always remember to keep the juice flow closed when refilling and the leaking is minimal. Trying to find some 3X3mm hex screws cause i dont see them Phillips lasting that long although i always treat them with care and with a really good screwdriver. I dont see myself switching to another tank anytime soon unless this breaks down and i cant find another to replace.

bobnat

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have 5 Exo's, all in constant rotation. I've experimented a lot with the wicking. I've found that loose is better than tight. Remember that cotton will expand a bit when it's wet. Here's what works best for me. I cut the cotton so that it just reaches the bottom of the slots they go into. Even a bit above is ok. I thin my cotton out a fair amount so that when it's dry it looks as if it won't fill up the slot, but once it's wet it will. I'll still miss the sweet spot on occasion and then I'll just rewick it.

You didn't mention your coils at all, that might help someone diagnose the problem.

As for the seeping, I have one Black Exo which has always been problematic. It seeps all the time. Another two will seep a little, the other two not at all. It's got to be due to the o-rings as I can't see any difference between them. I love them and I have put away 5 other tanks I own.

Don't give up, you'll figure it out.

KingPin!

In my defence, I was left unsupervised ^^
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
In addition to what Bob said it sounds silly but is the AFC on properly Teos? I remove the AFC from time to time and clean round the o ring makes sure it got a nice seal...there shouldnt be any sidewards play in it when placed back on. I have noticed a couple of time a little bit of seeping under the base but it's rare.

In terms of the pin getting juice from it this is not normal should be no leaking from there, is everything in there tight? Don't need to gorilla tighten everything but inspect orings and lose fittings then just make sure to wick as above

Thanks both for your response, the coils as i mentioned are the included fused claptons (kanthal) 0.34ohms, but i did also try some flat SS clapton ones with the same results and also tried the TC mode with those but i found the 0.16 ohms a bit too low for my liking, hotter atty and watts for the same or worse experience. Next step i think i should try spacing the claptons to see if it wicks better, what do you prefer on claptons spaced or contact for this RTA? Also tried some 50/50 juice it wicks a little better and can get a bit more draw before the burnt taste starts to hit. Also what exactly do you mean you thin your cotton? Do you place it snug and a bit tight in the coil and then comb out a lot of wick from the edges? My way is the cotton is a bit snug and tight but it can move without too much force, then i fluff the edges and only cut the excess wick not thinning it by a significant amount..You mean you thin it out for like to 3/4 to 1/2 of the original wick that is in the centre of the coil? By the way the ID of the coils are 3mm.

As for the leaking Kingpin there is none at the base or coming out of the airflow, only a drop or two at the base of the pin. I think i should replace the small oring there to see if that helps, i dont overtighten the deck on the base though as i am afraid i will damage something by doing so..Maybe ill add a bit more force there as well..

bobnat

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Do you place it snug and a bit tight in the coil and then comb out a lot of wick from the edges?

My bad, the correct term is to comb it out. It'll be so it fills up the coil but will move easily, perhaps a tad under snug, lol. Then I comb it out quite a bit, more than I have with other tanks. It'll look as if it's just too little but the slots it goes into aren't very large at all and it's very easy to over-stuff them.

I've used the coils they come with and they're fine.

Here's an idea. Try the dual coil deck and see what happens.

As for the occasional drop on the pin, I'm pretty sure it's not a problem as long as you clean it regularly. With the Black Exo I have, it's seeps quite a bit so I'll clean it whenever I fill it. When I'm not using it I take it off the mod and put it in the rack.

Ok so i tried the dual coil but this time i spaced the coils out and that seemed to do the trick. Now it wicks perfectly, no nasty taste no dry hits and chain vaping is now possible. So i went back to the single coil spaced that out as well and problem solved. Now its wicking like a champ and i can fully enjoy this RTA.

VU Sponsors