Become a Patron!

Ijoy EXO RTA

Big-Al

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Ok, I tried the dual deck with worse results. Its good that I DIY juice. This took less than 5 minutes to dump a tank.

Then my lovely coil assistant came home and we wicked the single coil deck same as DJLsb says. Except I'm running a 3.5ID vs his 2.5
Its been about 30 minutes with no leaks. Vastly different than what I'm used to, but if it holds, I'm all for it.
The juice is running/pouring from the airflow, so it is a wicking thing, I know that.

For the past 30 minutes though, wow, what a great vape!
Here's the pics of how we wicked it. See anything?
View attachment 77455 View attachment 77456 View attachment 77457 View attachment 77458
At this point you should not have any more problems, it's crazy that it leaked to begin with.I have not had any issues whatsoever. I actually use less cotton than what you do in the pics though. I cut my tails at a slight downward angle,comb them out slightly, and then cut the edges slightly angled into a little tip that just tickles the bottom the juice flow hole at the base. At this point the cotton is fairly snug inside the top wicking hole, I then take a very small Flathead screwdriver and gently push up the cotton tip from the bottom side hole from the base and raise it just a hair, which in turn fluffs the cotton above it, keeping the hole plugged but fluffy.it works like a dream. I therefore have almost no cotton in the bottom side wicking Hole and have had zero leaking. This is just what I found works because originally my first wicking job on this tank I did was a little too tight and was getting slight dry hits. This is the method I found works for my ammit just simply revised to work with this style of wicking holes. Glad you really love the tank though, it really is awesome once it starts running right.

mjag

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I am still thinking about getting the merlin mini but I love EXO really really well so far. How does the Merlin mini stack up against the EXO? I run single coils almost exclusively with a lot of my builds even on a RDA. What is the airflow like in the Merlin Mini compared to EXO?
The EXO has a little more airflow. Really I think there so close that if you love the EXO then I would skip the merlin mini.

I am just really surprised how much I like the single coil deck in the merlin mini. First tank with dual decks that I didn't switch right back to the dual coil over the single. I wasn't a fan of the original Merlin as well, retired that tank pretty quick.

Even the Serpent mini was just ok for me. Single coil tanks are just not my style, the Merlin Mini is the first I really enjoy.

I did just get a OBS Engine Nano. My first build is good but I am going to rebuild it with the Merlin build. Flavor is really good but the whole experience is not matching the Merlin yet.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

mjag

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
You say the Merlin produces a denser Vape? I wonder why that would be?
I really can't explain why, same build on the Merlin Mini, Ammit and EXO single coils. They were all on Hohm Slice mods as well with the same settings.

When I say dense it is on the exhale I can see through the EXO and Ammit clouds. The cloud on the Merlin Mini has the first second or 2 were it is so dense you can't see through it, just a tasty white cloud.

Big-Al

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
The EXO has a little more airflow. Really I think there so close that if you love the EXO then I would skip the merlin mini.

I am just really surprised how much I like the single coil deck in the merlin mini. First tank with dual decks that I didn't switch right back to the dual coil over the single. I wasn't a fan of the original Merlin as well, retired that tank pretty quick.

Even the Serpent mini was just ok for me. Single coil tanks are just not my style, the Merlin Mini is the first I really enjoy.

I did just get a OBS Engine Nano. My first build is good but I am going to rebuild it with the Merlin build. Flavor is really good but the whole experience is not matching the Merlin yet.

I'm getting pretty dense clouds off my exo, but I like the slight restictivness of the ammit.the exo is about as much airflow as I like, I even find myself closing it about halfway for denser flavor and vapor.
I am running a 4x 28g spiral wire (twisted, flattened) with a 2x helix of 36g at around
.45ohms and it actually vapes better than the claptons it came with, to me.I also tried a 24gx 36g clapton at .55ohms and stuck with the spiral wire as mentioned. I am wondering about the merlin, I realize the exo is real close, I might pass on it unless I find it cheap through a good, fast vendor.thanks for the info.

ShowerHead

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Well, here it is tomorrow morning.
The tank didn't leak a bit overnight and is producing some pleasing vapor!
I better get my lovely coil assistant something.
I know, a new clapton winding kit!

ShowerHead

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
To be clear, what I have done on past tanks is to take a pad of KJD, measure a strip of it twice the ID of the coil, cut it, pull it through and do whatever was needed for juice port/channel. Worked well right until this tank.

Or, it could be that is why I am the King of Leaks. Only the OBS Engine series hasn't leaked something. Some more, some less, all but that one leaked though. Perhaps with this wicking, none would have...

But, no reason to go backward. I intend to vape on this tank unless it proves otherwise.
Such a great vape from the single coil deck. I'll have to give the dual deck a try later.

Big-Al

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
To be clear, what I have done on past tanks is to take a pad of KJD, measure a strip of it twice the ID of the coil, cut it, pull it through and do whatever was needed for juice port/channel. Worked well right until this tank.

Or, it could be that is why I am the King of Leaks. Only the OBS Engine series hasn't leaked something. Some more, some less, all but that one leaked though. Perhaps with this wicking, none would have...

But, no reason to go backward. I intend to vape on this tank unless it proves otherwise.
Such a great vape from the single coil deck. I'll have to give the dual deck a try later.
I actually use a lot of plain organic cotton balls because they are cheap and I can get them to fluff better. I find the if I use Japanese cotton or cotton bacon,I have to comb the ends pretty well because they are typically thick. I am the odd ball and prefer organic balls over Japanese because I feel the break in time is shorter, but Japanese cotton and cotton bacon does last a bit longer. I just think cotton balls taste better. But when I started vaping almost 4 years ago, Japanese cotton was not as easy to find nor was it common, and not nearly as popular as it is now.it was the common wicking method besides silicone or SS mesh, therefore I guess it's what I am used to using.

Big-Al

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
BTW- If you vape SS, you owe it to yourself to try these SS 430 clapton coils. Its what is in the EXO now.
Great coils, excellent wire the 430. Much less 'finicky' than 316 due to its higher TCR.

https://www.advancedvapesupply.com/...r-430-10-pack-of-clapton-coils-26g-30g-430-ss
These would be awesome, I personally don't use a lot of wire besides Kanthal, although stainless steel could be a better option. These particular Clapton coils would appeal to me if they had a higher gauge wrap around them for better staged heating effect, that is what Clapton's are for. If I wrap my own 26g I typically use a 36 or 38 G outer wire. When the two gauges are closer together in size, it does not produce quite the same staged effect and has a higher ramp up time. but will hold juice pretty well still I suppose.

manos58

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I use a dual parallel 26AWG SS316 .It came out at 0,21 Ω .
35-50 W and trying to find my "sweet spot" .I have a long way ahead to heaven :D

ShowerHead

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Well, I did an nonscientific, yet good comparison between the OBS Engine dual coil, and the EXO single coil.
I happen to have a few VT133s, so I copied the SS430 profile to each of them, freshly charged Samsung 30Q in each, new SS430 claptons (you gotta try these!) freshly wicked.
I DIY, so I put one of my favorites in each, but different flavors so I could tell which is 'better' if either.
First vape, I found that 440F is way too hot a vape for me with the OBS, so I turned it down in steps until I got a comfortable vape at 420F.
So, my lovely coil assistant did the timing, 'Ready, set, go' for a 5 second pull. We repeated this 3 times alternating tanks. Between each pull, I cleansed my palate with hand ground coffee.

Here's the outcome.

I notice little difference between the two. Some additional vapor from the OBS, some extra flavor from the EXO. Neither was enough of a difference to say 'Holy cow, what a difference'

It amazed me that a single coil can keep up with a dual for me. The EXO draws less watts to maintain its temp of course. The OBS needed 44W vs the EXO at 15W.

Juice consumption is unknown, but I'd think maybe the same due to the vapor production. EXO may have a slight advantage, but I just don't know. They are about the same juice capacity, 6ml vs 5.2ml.

The OBS Engine has been leakproof for me. The EXO has been leakfree for only a day, so I can't judge.

What has made a huge difference is the switch to the SS430 claptons from Advanced Vape Supply. Night and day. Wish they had this wire long ago.

Mind you, completely nonscientific, but kind of controlled conditions. It's what I found. YMMV.

OBSvsEXO.jpg

ShowerHead

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
These would be awesome, I personally don't use a lot of wire besides Kanthal, although stainless steel could be a better option. These particular Clapton coils would appeal to me if they had a higher gauge wrap around them for better staged heating effect, that is what Clapton's are for. If I wrap my own 26g I typically use a 36 or 38 G outer wire. When the two gauges are closer together in size, it does not produce quite the same staged effect and has a higher ramp up time. but will hold juice pretty well still I suppose.

Hmmm, I'm no clapton expert, but I'd guess the people who build them are. Seem to work fine in my tank. Plus, I'm way to lazy to wrap my own wire and then coil it for the price.

ben73

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Ok, I tried the dual deck with worse results. Its good that I DIY juice. This took less than 5 minutes to dump a tank.

Then my lovely coil assistant came home and we wicked the single coil deck same as DJLsb says. Except I'm running a 3.5ID vs his 2.5
Its been about 30 minutes with no leaks. Vastly different than what I'm used to, but if it holds, I'm all for it.
The juice is running/pouring from the airflow, so it is a wicking thing, I know that.

For the past 30 minutes though, wow, what a great vape!
Here's the pics of how we wicked it. See anything?
View attachment 77455 View attachment 77456 View attachment 77457 View attachment 77458
I went with 3.5 mm myself ,
6aa6b28b3e25d07a9e1844a00ba57786.jpg

I cut a quarter strip from a cotton pad then I fluffed it out to almost twice the size before rolling it back up Gently i find this works best for me on many tanks , hold a lot more air , so they fill with more juices , = more Flavours since , more available juices , an less time wicking ,
6f73e9f191cb42fa48ea3be2e4219f63.jpg

Believe it or not this is Quart sized strip from a muji cotton pad , it just seems to wick better for me an helps with leaks too , without over stuffing an getting dry hits ,
Its an illusion of there's more there than there is
This is my take on Scottish roll method ,
Some just say roll up big fat wicks is the Scottish roll method ,

This spacing out the cotton more is the Version i learned an works great for me, More air between fibers holds more juices to prevent dry hits an wicks fantastic for me ,

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

ShowerHead

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
This is my take on Scottish roll method ,
Some just say roll up big fat wicks is the Scottish roll method ,
This spacing out the cotton more us the Version i learned an works great for me , to prevent dry it an wicks fantastic for me ,

Thanks, I think I'll give that a shot next time I wick.
Still dry and happy here at the moment.

Johnnytraveler

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Well, I did an nonscientific, yet good comparison between the OBS Engine dual coil, and the EXO single coil.
I happen to have a few VT133s, so I copied the SS430 profile to each of them, freshly charged Samsung 30Q in each, new SS430 claptons (you gotta try these!) freshly wicked.
I DIY, so I put one of my favorites in each, but different flavors so I could tell which is 'better' if either.
First vape, I found that 440F is way too hot a vape for me with the OBS, so I turned it down in steps until I got a comfortable vape at 420F.
So, my lovely coil assistant did the timing, 'Ready, set, go' for a 5 second pull. We repeated this 3 times alternating tanks. Between each pull, I cleansed my palate with hand ground coffee.

Here's the outcome.

I notice little difference between the two. Some additional vapor from the OBS, some extra flavor from the EXO. Neither was enough of a difference to say 'Holy cow, what a difference'

It amazed me that a single coil can keep up with a dual for me. The EXO draws less watts to maintain its temp of course. The OBS needed 44W vs the EXO at 15W.

Juice consumption is unknown, but I'd think maybe the same due to the vapor production. EXO may have a slight advantage, but I just don't know. They are about the same juice capacity, 6ml vs 5.2ml.

The OBS Engine has been leakproof for me. The EXO has been leakfree for only a day, so I can't judge.

What has made a huge difference is the switch to the SS430 claptons from Advanced Vape Supply. Night and day. Wish they had this wire long ago.

Mind you, completely nonscientific, but kind of controlled conditions. It's what I found. YMMV.

View attachment 77531
What size and # of wraps of the SS430 did you buy for the engine? What does it ohm out at?
I'm finding my 2 OBS engines don't like big builds or low ohm builds.
I'm gonna order some coils from Advance Vape and will test out the 430.

Sent from somewhere in Vietnam.

ShowerHead

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
What size and # of wraps of the SS430 did you buy for the engine? What does it ohm out at?

I got 6 wrap 3.5mm. Then I spaced them.
They come in at .2 ohms. You can look at the chart they have, how many ohms for a given ID and wraps.

ben73

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years

Sent from somewhere in Vietnam.
I find 3-3.5mm but need to be close to the posts an lower than posts then just wick tails touching the deck juice hole works well for me on Engine

SirRichardRear

AKA Anthony Vapes on Youtube
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
Wow is all I have to say. I thought my Engine Nano was great but this Exo in SC mode just blew me away. This is a keeper!

Anthony, great review and thanks for selling me on this thing!
No problem! Glad I could help

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Mazam

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I started off by simply using one of the included coils in single/shorty mode. Definitely wicks like a champ.

God that drip tip sucks though. Good thing I had a few Aromamizer Supreme tips laying around.

ben73

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Wow is all I have to say. I thought my Engine Nano was great but this Exo in SC mode just blew me away. This is a keeper!

Anthony, great review and thanks for selling me on this thing!
Its a surprising one isnt ut ,nice 6ml Capacity and with there being on sales for 20£ an lower at most china sites it definitely worth a punt on , be even better when spare glass tanks are more available later on

ben73

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Im still awaiting the , XS1 rba deck for the EX s and EXo X Subohm tank , this too could potentially be a nice single coil tank with smaller builds and a more MTL vaping style , but as yet they still not shipped the RBA,s ,

Mazam

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
So beyond the included drip tip, I'd personally put the top cap down as another con. Probably more of the minor and selective variety, as the eczema on my fingers leaves the filling process feeling like a touch more of a chore then anything else I have. Keeping everything firmly in place while unscrewing/rescrewing and what not.

Other then that I'm really liking it. Can't wait to try a 2 coil setup, which is my usual.

KGuardian

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Probably more of the minor and selective variety, as the eczema on my fingers leaves the filling process feeling like a touch more of a chore

My fingers are fine, but it does seem a little bit tougher to get that top cap off than it needs to be IF I tighten until it can't turn anymore. I've found it best to tighten it down and then back off an 1/8th to a 1/4 of a turn. Also found it easier to take it off of the mod.

bobnat

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
So beyond the included drip tip, I'd personally put the top cap down as another con. Probably more of the minor and selective variety, as the eczema on my fingers leaves the filling process feeling like a touch more of a chore then anything else I have. Keeping everything firmly in place while unscrewing/rescrewing and what not.

Other then that I'm really liking it. Can't wait to try a 2 coil setup, which is my usual.

My fingers are fine, but it does seem a little bit tougher to get that top cap off than it needs to be IF I tighten until it can't turn anymore. I've found it best to tighten it down and then back off an 1/8th to a 1/4 of a turn. Also found it easier to take it off of the mod.

I agree. I also find the bottom AFC ring to be a pain as well. But I still am getting another one tomorrow.

bobnat

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Does anyone know the size of the driptip? I want to order some but I got confused as hell looking at all of them.

Nevermind, I found it.

manos58

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Finally ...I gave mine away .Too much for my taste .I prefer more restricted draw .The Digiflavor Fuji suits me more .And if I dare it's better quality also .The velocity deck of EXO didn't like single wire coils .And the 6ml glass was a hair wider ,maybe mine's only .Going from MTL to "clouds" was rather tricky business for me .I prefer "icy" vapor if that's possible .

Big-Al

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Finally received a replacement 6ml and a couple of spare 2 ml glass tubes from alibaba.com. I found this after contacting several companies including iJoy with no luck in finding replacement tubes. These are first-run Replacements and I have to say they do it the tank and the quality seems good. Put them both on the tank to test for size and fitting and they both fit great

ben73

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Finally received a replacement 6ml and a couple of spare 2 ml glass tubes from alibaba.com. I found this after contacting several companies including iJoy with no luck in finding replacement tubes. These are first-run Replacements and I have to say they do it the tank and the quality seems good. Put them both on the tank to test for size and fitting and they both fit great
Any pics plz ,

Big-Al

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
14916875510441562235687.jpg
Any pics plz ,

Here is a pic with one of the replacement 2 ml glass extensions online tank being used. I can post some photos the packaging that the tubes came in at a later date they are not with me right now. I only briefly put on the 6 ml glass tube to make sure it fit, and it fits very nicely, quickly took it off because I prefer the 2 ml shorty mode better, I think the flavor is better because of the shorter chimney tube.14916875510441562235687.jpg

Big-Al

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I just tried the duel deck last week after receiving by 6 ml replacement glass that I worked so hard to find LOL. I do prefer it in single coil shorty mode but I was impressed by the dual decks performance, I didn't have any wicking issues or leaking. I also tryed the dual deck in shorty mode just to see if it made any difference on the flavor, for me it was just a warmer Vape. For me this thing really shines in single coil, I wish I could pinpoint why. I would have to experiment with some different builds on the duel deck, I simply slapped in a dual 4x 28g twisted/spiral - flattened build for starters. This is the same build I have in the single deck and it is awesome, but on the duel deck it was much warmer in kind of meh.

TH3JUICEMAN

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
View attachment 79039
Here is a pic with one of the replacement 2 ml glass extensions online tank being used. I can post some photos the packaging that the tubes came in at a later date they are not with me right now. I only briefly put on the 6 ml glass tube to make sure it fit, and it fits very nicely, quickly took it off because I prefer the 2 ml shorty mode better, I think the flavor is better because of the shorter chimney tube.View attachment 79039
I like the looks of the 2ml better for sure, but I go through juice like no other and would be refilling it frequently. The flavor to me, with the 6ml glass is top notch, so haven't even tried the 2ml.

I've got two of them on both of my main setups, absolutely love them. It's only my second RTA (first was smok tf rta) and just amazed at the quality of vape I get from it. Only real problem I've had with it is sometimes over tightening the cap and when taking it off unscrewing the entire chimney (what a mess!). Its only happened twice, so now just screw it on until it feels snug. Before I was tightening it until in spun the jfc.

VU Sponsors