Become a Patron!

I'm close but somethings missing in my melon ADV recipe development.

µDavid

Member For 3 Years
Hello.

I have been developing a melon recipe for some time now and I have made revision after revision without even beginning to zero in on the missing peace.

My insperation comes from a juice sold at my local vape store, I can't recall the name of the company but the juice is called "Melonade" which is a good name for what it is, sort of a melon lemonade.

The basic melon flavour is inspired from a recipe I got from HIC, I don't even remember which but the following is a variation without the lemonade flavour which I aspire to find:

3% TFA Honeydew
2% TFA Cantaloupe
2% FLV Cantaloupe
0,5% FA Cantaloupe
1% TFA Strawberry Ripe
1% FA Pear
0,5% FA Fuji Apple

If you would like to try it, the FLV and FA Cantaloupe aren't vital and can be substituted for 3% TFA Cantaloupe instead of 2% as in the above recipe, or just simply leave them out.

What I got from HIC was to back up melon flavours with strawberry, pear and apple.

This has become sort of 3 different searches for recipes, all of which lacks something.

The above recipe is nice I think but it lacks something, my next step is to try and add sweeteners, I have Ethyl Maltol, Sucralose(TFA Sweetener), FLV Sweetness and Erythritol. But I am not comfortable with any of those as sweeteners seems to bring negative effects if steeped a long time, I don't care if I have to steep a juice for weeks to get it to be good but I really hate ingredients that ruins the juice if steeped a few weeks.

On on hand I still like to shape this recipe into a melon lemonade in which case more Pear is a nice combo, but I would be equally happy if I could perfect this recipe as a simple Melon flavour.

One thing to note, I have tried a few Lemonade flavour concentrates and I don't think they mix very well with melon flavours at all so I need some "manual" way of adding lemonade flavours but thus far I haven't managed to do that using FA Lemon Sicily, FA Lime(both of them) and INW Lime.

I do know that the "Melonade" juice did not smell good while freshly mixed(the same day it arrived at the store, I thought it smelled like a totally botched attempt to make a juice at all) but then a couple of weeks later it had steeped into a very nice flavour.

I have also tried adding other fruits such as Kiwi but I am clueless as to what I am missing, I know that you can't possibly tell me what I am missing because if I don't know what it is that I want how could you.
But I am open to any an all suggestions.

I am open to completely revisioning the recipe.

Regards

Mykreign

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
3% cantaloupe CAP
3% honeydew TPA
2% whipped cream FA or TFA (I've used both and either works)

This makes a good melon base. You could try adding lemonade and sweetener to that. The base itself is a good S&V but adding lemon to anything needs to steep imo. Unless you like a strong lemon flavor.

Edit: did the juice you bought taste like any specific melon? I've never heard of a honeydew or cantaloupe lemonde but that doesn't mean anything. A melon could be anything. You could try mango, papaya, watermelon, dragonfruit or maybe some kiwi.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

RonJS

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
For the past two weeks I have been vaping FLV Wild Melon. Single flavor @ 2.8% one week aging. I've tried a bunch of melon flavors and this is a winner. Tates a bit like a blend of honeydew, Crenshaw and cantalope.

Could be what you are looking for. :question:

I haven't tried adding any lemon type flavors to it. Maybe in the future. ...

Ron

mattdarat

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
if you feel something is missing add
.5% FA lemon Sicily
1% FA watermellon.
The lemon will add the tart of a lemonade but the sweetness comes from your other flavors. Watermelon in smaller doses adds a full juicy aspect without over powering the other flavors.
If it were my recipe I would replace the pear and strawberry with this.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

µDavid

Member For 3 Years
I haven't used FA watermelon for quite a while because to me it taste very realisticly but it is a very realistic rind flavour. Which isn't something I desire, but as I am at my local vape shop I'll get a bottle of that to give it a new chance.

The juice I was inspired from is from a juice that is called ZAP!

And I don't understand what it may contain because there "Melonade" flavour is so incredibly bright, fruity and refreshing. It has not any menthol or anything like that. But I can't even come close to the refreshing, shining bright and sweet fruity flavour.

It really bothers me because it is spot on for the type of flavour I am after, it doesn't really have to be limited to melon flavours but I simply must figure out how to create such a bright juicy fruity flavour.

I would say it is quite wet as well, recently I have been considering if it might be possible to create some very fresh bright juicy fruity flavour with the help of very high amounts of Malic Acid combined with some sweeteners, but I don't think that is what they are doing in the case of ZAP! Melonade from Zapjuice (zapjuice.co.uk).

I feel as I'm at a loss here since I lack the vocabulary required to tell you more and to proceed with a conversation that might lead towards as discovery about what I have written about.

I guess all I can do is to ask everyone for any and all flavour combinations that they have found that they feel was very bright, juicy, fruity, wet, that sort of thing.

I remade that recipe I posted into something I feel became much better, although it isn't done yet this is what I got:

3% RF (SC) Lemonade
2% CAP Honeydew
1% TFA Honeydew
3% TFA Cantaloupe (going to try CAP instead)
2% TFA Kiwi(Double)
1% FA Pear

I have also tried with possible positive results to add <=1% FA Peach, and or FA Fuji Apple.

As I first wrote I have been trying different combinations of cantaloupe flavours but I think that CAP cantaloupe will be the best alone.

An interesting note, I added 0,5% INW Cactus to the recipe in my first post and it completely eliminated the melon flavour and I have the recipe documented as a pure Cactus flavour (note that the recipe isn't exactly what I have posted since I have made so many slightly different variations and I don't feel it would be suitable to list them all, if anyone really want to know just say so and I'll post it).

That ZAP juice is quite possibly containg pear of some sort.

µDavid

Member For 3 Years
I don't know how I manage to do so but I missed posts #2, #3, and #4 entirely...

In any case I wanted to update you about some fairly large successes towards my goal.

I am still trying out different varieties of the recipe but here are two which show the basic idea, the first one I mixed just now and it smells great but I haven't vaped it yet but it adds FLV Wild Melon:

• Melonade recipe example:
    3% TFA Honeydew
    1,5% FA Kiwi
    1% CAP Cantaloupe
    1% FLV Wild Melon
    0,5% LA Lemonade
    3% Ethyl Maltol

Base recipe example(this isn't meant to be a real recipe, I'm not really happy with this particular recipe but it contains important components for a Melonade recipe):
  • Honeydew:
    3% TFA Honeydew
    (IMHO, CAP Honeydew or FW Honeydew doesn't works here, FW could possibly be added to TFA in a tiny quantity to make the honeydew flavour more realistic, I often experience real and ripe honeydew as tasting something that reminds me of glue... and FW might bring that to the table)
  • Cantaloupe:
    1%(1-2%) CAP Cantaloupe
    (IMHO, this is the only cantaloupe that is suitable, I have tried many including TFA, FA, FLV, and FA only works in very very low percentages <=0,5% otherwise it starts taste like perfume, FLV is weird(not in a bad way) as it is quite creamy and after it steeps it looses much of the cantaloupe flavour, and TFA I simply don't like, to me TFA barely reminds me of a melon or fruit at all)
  • Kiwi:
    1%(1-2%) FA Kiwi or TFA Kiwi Double
    (they differ quite a lot but ether one of them work for me, but lately I have leaned towards FA)
  • Lemonade:
    0,5% LA Lemonade
    0,5% FW Lemonade
    (both or ether, add FW Lemonade to melon flavours will add lemonade/lemon flavour but add LA Lemonade to melon flavours will alter the over all flavour profile quite a lot in a way that I want for a Melonade, and that FW does not, at least that is what I have experienced, but these ingredients requires sweeteners of some kind to make them play nice with the other flavours)

• Sweeteners:
    3% Ethyl Maltol
    (But I have also tried 3% TFA Sweetener, and I will also try something like 0,5% FLV Sweetness, some sweetener is needed to blend the lemonade flavours with the melon flavours but how much and which is still unknown. "As little as possible" is my goal in any case, I have tried as much as 6% EM or 6% TFA Sweetener which was sickly sweet, I may very well be wrong but I believe that sweeteners of some sort really is required to force the other ingredients into the melon flavour I want. Melon is the main thing here, the lemonade is only a supporting flavour, I would skip the lemonade entirely if I could create the melon flavour without it)
It must also be said that I am mainly working with un-steeped mixes in regards to this melonade quest, I don't know about you but I would rather have a recipe that required steeping for a couple of weeks than one that taste good fresh but then becomes less and less good as time goes on. I have made so many "Melonade 1, 2, 3, 4, etc" that I have lost track of the steeping but now that I have concluded on a rough recipe base as the one above I will steep my experiments and see how they turn out. I have begun to suspect that LA Lemonade might be spoiling the flavour of the recipe as it steeps but that isn't a conclusion, more of a hunch.

I have also wanted to include a little weak and discrete background hint of pear, but thus far any inclusion of FA Pear haven't really worked out, but now that I will start steeping the mixes that might change.

As a note on FLV Wild Melon, I was and still am very interested in that one but I have in the end felt that it is difficult to work with and lacks something on it's own, but then again my perception of flavours and what is good and not good never seems to stay the same for very long... Which is problematic to say the least.

I am really interested in any and all suggestions, notes, opinions or thoughts on melon flavours, no matter what melon in which way.

Last edited:

EarnestAccord

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
3% cantaloupe CAP
3% honeydew TPA
2% whipped cream FA or TFA (I've used both and either works)

This makes a good melon base. You could try adding lemonade and sweetener to that. The base itself is a good S&V but adding lemon to anything needs to steep imo. Unless you like a strong lemon flavor.

Edit: did the juice you bought taste like any specific melon? I've never heard of a honeydew or cantaloupe lemonde but that doesn't mean anything. A melon could be anything. You could try mango, papaya, watermelon, dragonfruit or maybe some kiwi.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'll second the addition of a cream. While not very inline with your end game a some form of lemonade, any fairly nuetral cream definately brings all melons togather.

VU Sponsors