Become a Patron!

I'm in. Here's what I ordered. What's next?

pippin65

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
So I bought a smoktech tfv4 and a eleaf tc100w. I want to break away from Marlboro reds. Not sure what the next steps are other than waiting for them to arrive. Also bought Sony 18650 batts. Had tried halo triton couple of years ago and found I liked boba's bounty. Would like to know what are good eliquids to try and also if my 2 plus year old eliquids are okay to vape. What is next? What are flavors that former Marlboro smokers enjoy? Thanks.

Mythical_OD

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Thats a serious set up for someone pretty new to vaping. At least you wont have to upgrade for a while like most beginners lol. No doubt that thing will satisfy you enough to get off the smokes.

Eliquid flavor is all subjective, it depends on what you like. Some good vendors to check out though are Verde Valley Vapes, You Got E-Juice, and HiggyCigs, as all 3 have great quality juice and all 3 are relatively easy on the wallet.

Almost ever ejuice I have that has an expiration date expires 1 year after creation, but from what I read PG and VG have anti microbial/bacterial properties, so I dont know if it actually spoils. The nicotine does oxidize and break down after a while so after 2 years the nic level should be less than what it was originally, but hell, if the stuff still looks good, smells good, and tastes good I wouldnt worry too much about it.

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Surprisingly enough, you'll likely not vape anything that tastes like a cigarette. Some new vapers prefer that, perhaps to keep from missing the smokes, but I was a Marlboro smooth smoker and really enjoyed the mocha menthol-ish types for awhile. Now I really enjoy the sweets, be they fruity or bakery types. You'll need to sample a few flavor profiles before you really decide what's for you.
Now you do realize that the TFV4 is a sub ohm tank, don't you? You may be fine with it, but they're designed to be used at rather high wattage for direct lung hits.

Manimal3497

Manimalizer
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
I like www.maddcattvapors.com, www.vapingwatch.com, and www.darkcityvapor.com as for marlboro I was actually a camel smoker and didnt care for tobaccos to much when I started. I leaned towards fruity and as time has progressed I have moved into bakery, cereals and for a while custards. Congrats on the new setup. I am currently using the 100w TC myself and really like it. Love the fact that I can run with a single batt in a bind or with dual. I would definitely check out some of our other areas around here. Lots and lots of knowledge to be had :)

pippin65

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
After reading a bit I think I'm going to be a mouth to lung vaper like l do with cigarettes. That said, maybe the smoktech was a bad idea. What would be another tank to put on it that would lend itself to that type of vaping? Or should I just start with the smoktech? I want to be successful in my transition from Marlboro

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
After reading a bit I think I'm going to be a mouth to lung vaper like l do with cigarettes. That said, maybe the smoktech was a bad idea. What would be another tank to put on it that would lend itself to that type of vaping? Or should I just start with the smoktech? I want to be successful in my transition from Marlboro
You can go ahead and try it, you never know, you might take to it just fine. But sub ohm requires a bit less nicotine than mtl tanks. Don't get rid of it, you'll probably be using it eventually.
The Aspire Nautilus is a good mtl tank. I'm sure some others will chime in with suggestions as well.

pippin65

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Will get some Tribeca. With my setup do I want a high pg? Max mg of nicotine? I currently smoke a pack to pack and a half a day.

Last edited:

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The regular Tribeca is high PG. With your TFV4, though, I wouldn't go as high in nicotine as I would have done with the original Halo Triton. On the other hand if you don't get enough nicotine it won't work for you. In the Triton I started at 12mg, and it worked for me. You may need as low as 6mg in your current setup - or you could buy one bottle of 12mg and one bottle of 0mg in case you have to dilute it down. I also don't know how well high PG does in your new tank because I don't have one. Perhaps someone who has a TFV4 can answer that question?

Mikey2387

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Will get some Tribeca. With my setup do I want a high pg? Max mg of nicotine? I currently smoke a pack to pack and a half a day.

My first set up was a sub ohm tank. With nic level you need to go low if you plan on using the tfv4. The first juice I tried was 18mg nic Jesus that had a throat hit like a horse. Then went down to a 6 mg and it was perfect. In no time I went from MTL to DL hits with it. I used to smoke 2 packs a day Marlboro menthols. So I figured I'd need that nic hit in it boy was I wrong.

I lean more towards fruity juice also, some times I add a few drops of menthol to them just to have flavor.

Terms of pg/vg most of my juice is 50:50 although I have some 30:70. It all comes down to taste.

Go into a vape shop they will let you try different juice types and just go with what works best for you.

DED420

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The TFV4 prefers higher VG juices and higher wattages. With a higher PG juice, it may gurgle/flood the coils if left to sit, and a really high PG might even just leak out through the coilhead. Also the fact it requires high wattage, means the tank gets warmer, further making the juice runnier.

smacksy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I like the TFV4 triple coil..with 100% VG it vapes really good between 65-75w for me, depending on what flavor I'm running..
BTW, I was a 2 pad Marlboro red smoker myself.. I started with a Kanger Protank/Provari MTL....But quickly realized I needed something better if I was to stay tobacco free..so I learned ohms law, bought a couple mechs and RDA's..much better with the deep lung hits too..
And now with these high powered box mods and a slew of subtanks I'm still tobacco free, three yrs later...

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

f1r3b1rd

https://cookingwithlegs.com/
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
the tfv4 does have a little piece on the rba head that can or cannot be used to restrict the airflow more for mtl. not sure if that is something the OP would want to consider though.

I was a 2PAD Marlboro smoker and I uit using PINKSPOT SWAGGER. it was a very deep rich tobacco flavor that almost reminded me of something along the lines of a red Marlboro with a but more of a malasses taste to iit,.
that was a while ago now..

pippin65

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
What is the best smok coil for it? Probably need to order a five pack. Thanks all.

Also ordered a eleaf gs air tank, just in case.

Mythical_OD

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
For the TFV4? I like the tri coil .2s personally. Great flavor and vapor and last forever. But everyone has their own favorite

pippin65

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I got it today. Put the partially charged sony vtc4 batteries in, tribeca 12 mg. in the gs tank and, letting the juice sit for 10 minutes, set to 30 w. and vaped. Nice taste, no burnt flavor but whoa .... Kinda harsh. I imagine this is normal because I, and my throat/lungs, are used to Marlboro cigs and not vapor. True? Guess there is an adaptation period...
And should I be concerned that the five pack of extra coils are nickel? Thanks

Last edited:

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I got it today. Put the partially charged sony vtc4 batteries in, tribeca 12 mg. in the gs tank and, letting the juice sit for 10 minutes, set to 30 w. and vaped. Nice taste, no burnt flavor but whoa .... Kinda harsh. I imagine this is normal because I, and my throat/lungs, are used to Marlboro cigs and not vapor. True? Guess there is an adaptation period...
GS Tank? Eleaf GS? What coils are you using?

Mythical_OD

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years

Yeah theres an adjustment period, but also the higher the nic level, the harsher it will be on your throat/lungs. So itll definitely get better, but with 12mg it wont go away totally probably. Who knows, everyones different. I started out on 6mg and it always had a little bit of harshness to it, but when I dropped to 3mg it was gone completely.

As far as the coils go, Im fairly sure you only want to use nickel coils in temperature control mode, as nickel can produce some nasty fumes at higher temperatures, so you want to be able to control that. Im sure someone else can go into more detail about that.

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Oh man I started with 18mg and had to bump to 24 for a bit. I like throat hit, though. I'm now at about 9mg nic.

just wanted to make sure that the coils in use are or aren't for TC and if the mod is being used in TC.

pippin65

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
eleaf gs tank, gs air tc coil 0.15 ohm coil, running at 30 watts as the gs tank box says it's sweet spot is 30-40w.is it okay to run the tc coil in watt mode? I figured try watts first. if I keep it in the 30 to 40 w range, does higher wattage make the vape smoother or harsher-in general terms.

pippin65

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Yeah theres an adjustment period, but also the higher the nic level, the harsher it will be on your throat/lungs. So itll definitely get better, but with 12mg it wont go away totally probably. Who knows, everyones different. I started out on 6mg and it always had a little bit of harshness to it, but when I dropped to 3mg it was gone completely.

As far as the coils go, Im fairly sure you only want to use nickel coils in temperature control mode, as nickel can produce some nasty fumes at higher temperatures, so you want to be able to control that. Im sure someone else can go into more detail about that.
what should my temps be then?

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
The Ni coils NEED TO BE run in TC. If you have the kanthal coils, use those in Power mode.

pippin65

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
The Ni coils NEED TO BE run in TC. If you have the kanthal coils, use those in Power mode.
oh boy, messing it up already am I? so with the Gs Air Atomizer Ni 0.15 what should be my starting point settings? And why can't I run in wattage mode? thanks

Mikey2387

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
oh boy, messing it up already am I? so with the Gs Air Atomizer Ni 0.15 what should be my starting point settings? And why can't I run in wattage mode? thanks

If you take Nickle coils to a high temperatures they produce toxic fumes that in the long run will not be good for you. With TC you can control that.

I always run kenthal coils so not sure about TC. Used it once and never liked it. Just made the vape to hot for me and the run up time was just annoying.

Also make sure you drink plenty of water. Since vaping does dehydrates the body.

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
You didn't mess it up, just avoid those coils in Power mode. But the tank... good choice for MTL. I have 3, LOVE them. I use the 1.5 kanthal coils. Wonderful flavor. I'm a low wattage vaper.

pippin65

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
so I set it for ni 250 degrees f 0.15ohm and it defaults to one hundred watts and barely gives smoke....the box says 30-40 w. for this tank.not sure what to do...

seems to give good vape on wattage mode only

please help with "base" setup.

Last edited:

Mythical_OD

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yea I know next to nothing about TC either, but Im so gonna keep track of this thread because Ive been wanting to unlock my Rx200s TC potential lately.

OBDave

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
eleaf gs tank, gs air tc coil 0.15 ohm coil, running at 30 watts as the gs tank box says it's sweet spot is 30-40w.is it okay to run the tc coil in watt mode? I figured try watts first. if I keep it in the 30 to 40 w range, does higher wattage make the vape smoother or harsher-in general terms.
NOT a good idea to run nickel coils in power mode - those are for TC only. 250F is pretty low, I'm usually in the 420-500 degree range. I'm not personally familiar with the new iStick 100, but you might want to turn the temps up a bit while sticking with TC mode. As others have said, if you attempt to run those coils in power mode they might overheat and give off nasty chemical byproducts...I've spent a month or so experimenting with nickel and I'm about over it, going to stick with stainless or Kanthal going forward.

pippin65

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I just wanna vape correctly and well. Should I bust out the smok tfv4 so as to avoid the whole nickel issue?. What settings with that?. My thought was that the gs tank would be a better starting point. No?
Don't want to get nickel poisoning or anything. I'm trying to beat cigs and do something a little healthier.

Last edited:

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
While the GS is great for MTL the Ni coils you have are going to keep you limited to TC vaping. You'll need for the tank and the mod both to be at room temp, then start increasing the temp to set and lock it.... this is from what I've READ about TC, as I said, I didn't stick with it, it didn't impress me enough to switch over. If your TFV4 came with kanthal coils, you can use those in Power mode, not in TC. Nothing wrong with trying out the TFV4. You bought it, might as well figure out if you like it. :)

Kanthal - Power Only
Ni - TC only
Stainless Steel coils - Power OR TC

OBDave

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I just wanna vape correctly and well. Should I bust out the smok tfv4 so as to avoid the whole nickel issue?. What settings with that?. My thought was that the gs tank would be a better starting point. No?
Don't want to get nickel poisoning or anything. I'm trying to beat cigs and do something a little healthier.
You can use the nickel coils - just make sure you stay in TC mode while you do so. I'm thinking that you may want to bump your temp, as you said 250 wasn't sufficient. Maybe start jumping 10-15 degrees at a time until you hit your personal sweet spot?

pippin65

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Thanks huck, I AM getting somewhere now... temp to 400 degree range and getting good vape. My issue/confusion is that the gs tank box says to keep the tank in the 30-40 watt range and yet in temp of 400 degrees it says 120 watts.?.?
Is there a "safe" temp limit for ni coils? Now let's see about the tf....

Mythical_OD

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Id say put the tank with the NI coils aside for now and go with the TFV4. Amazing tank and coils. I personally love their .2 ohm tri coils vaping between 70-80watts. Amazing flavor and a great not too warm, thick vape. I guess if your brand new to vaping and using 12mg juice, that could be a bit much for you as your probably doing mouth to lung, but with the airflow adjusters on the tank and the drip tip, you can get a half decent MTL vape from it as well.

pippin65

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
the tfv4 comes with a TF A1, a TF 04 and TF T3....
which one?
and I have two halo tribecca's -- regular and high vg.
which one of them for this newbie mtl, at this point at least,guy?

OBDave

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Thanks huck, I AM getting somewhere now... temp to 400 degree range and getting good vape. My issue/confusion is that the gs tank box says to keep the tank in the 30-40 watt range and yet in temp of 400 degrees it says 120 watts.?.?
Is there a "safe" temp limit for ni coils? Now let's see about the tf....
Okay, in TC mode it'll only fire at that wattage until your coil reaches the desired temperature - after that it'll back your power off to 20, 30, whatever wattage is required to keep the temp within range. You should be fine.

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
@Mythical OD, with these coils, you're up, I don't have this tank! :)

My bedtime. Good luck pippin! Glad you're asking questions to help you. I'll catch up in the morning.

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
so I set it for ni 250 degrees f 0.15ohm and it defaults to one hundred watts and barely gives smoke....the box says 30-40 w. for this tank.not sure what to do...

seems to give good vape on wattage mode only

please help with "base" setup.
been using TC for a while now with other mods; but, ive not used the eleaf yet. are you using celsiu or farenheit? I use farenheit: and, I know with some of the others 215 degrees would not produce a lot of vapor. As a matter of fact from 400 degrees down would be rather anemic to cool; the temperature setting, is the temperature of the metal in the coil not the vapor. I normally vape from 450 degrees (cool) to about 500 degreed (warm) the mods tend to go to 600-625 degrees.

The idea is to not let yourself get a dry hit, with a tank that is less of a concern than with a dripper. However a side effect of that is when you get it going its a smoother vape. The metals you can use currently for TC are NIckel (Ni200). Titanium (ti) or Stainless (SS).

set your mod to the metal you are using, pair the mod to the coil with both of them in a cool state and then its just a matter of playing with the temp and power setting until you find what you like. Think of the setting as the ceilings though. as a aexample, I keep my tank at 460 degrees and 50w. so it will fire no more than 50w and will not let it go above 460degrees. SO as the coil approaches 460 degrees it will back the power down to not let it cross that threshold.

best of luck with it and I hope this helps.

Last edited:

pippin65

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Nice clouds and flavor now. Tried the smok tfv4 prior to going to bed and at this point I really like the gs tank much better, probably because of the mtl element. Additionally, I'm sure there was juice in the smok when I went to bed and this morning it was empty, so some leaking issues there.

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Sounds like you're on your way Pippin! The "getting there" is a trial and error thing that can be frustrating sometimes, but once you find your vape, it's awesome. Glad things are starting to work out for you. :)

Markw4mms

#Team Jimi Supporter
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
One other thing to remember is to lock the resistance of the coil on the mod at room temperature before vaping with it. This keeps the same reference point (resting resistance) for the mod to work from in TC mode.

Mythical_OD

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
the tfv4 comes with a TF A1, a TF 04 and TF T3....
which one?
and I have two halo tribecca's -- regular and high vg.
which one of them for this newbie mtl, at this point at least,guy?

With the TFV4 Ive tried the Triple coil, the quad coil, the sextuple coil, and the dual clapton coil, and out of the lot, I liked the Triple coil the best (TF-T3 btw). In fact, its the only one I liked at all. The others just didnt work right for me and one of them was DOA right out of the blister pack.

pippin65

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
The smok tfv4 is sitting unused as I really enjoy the GS tank on my tc 100 w. Very,very happy so far and havent smoked for two days now. woohoo. Now let the carnival of flavor begin--have spent like $100 on juice so far. Will eventually have to mix my own stuff. Bought Vader last night, going to try The legend in it's zippo like case today. Amazed I'm not jonesing for a cig.
Was wondering about a few things though. What do you do with your mods when you get to work or go somewhere in your car that does not allow vaping? Is it okay to leave those two 18650 batts in my car on a sunny florida day? Do you carry a "kit" with extra coils, juice, batteries etc? Have some local vape shops but find them to be "sketchey" in a way, and find myself wanting to get stuff from the internet-- any awesome shops in Tampa Bay/ up towards Spring Hill?
And thank you for all your input

Last edited:

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Wow, congrats on not smoking! Easy for me, I put anything I need in my purse. For your batteries, KEEP THEM IN A BATTERY CASE!!! You don't want those coming into contact with keys or coins or anything else metal. Do you carry a brief case or back pack that you could keep your gear in? You can find small cases at a Wal-Mart or something. Diabetic supply cases, art supply cases, black make up bag (something not girly, lol), shaving case... all kinds of possibilities. Then you could carry juice, extra batteries and coils in that.

JUST DON'T CARRY BATTERIES WITHOUT A CASE.

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
The smok tfv4 is sitting unused as I really enjoy the GS tank on my tc 100 w. Very,very happy so far and havent smoked for two days now. woohoo. Now let the carnival of flavor begin--have spent like $100 on juice so far. Will eventually have to mix my own stuff. Bought Vader last night, going to try The legend in it's zippo like case today. Amazed I'm not jonesing for a cig.
Was wondering about a few things though. What do you do with your mods when you get to work or go somewhere in your car that does not allow vaping? Is it okay to leave those two 18650 batts in my car on a sunny florida day? Do you carry a "kit" with extra coils, juice, batteries etc? Have some local vape shops but find them to be "sketchey" in a way, and find myself wanting to get stuff from the internet-- any awesome shops in Tampa Bay/ up towards Spring Hill?
heres my thought on the battery in a car thing, I live on the gulf coast, so the weather isn't all that different, quite.
safe wise, I don't know that it would cause them to go boom, but why take the chance? better yet, lets assume for a moment that it wouldn't harm safety, it may harm longevity.
at the bare minimum, it is inconvenient to have to run out to the car just in te event that you need one.
you can get battery cases and battery condoms here for as cheap as a dollar (1$) keep them safe and away from metal (like coins/keys) and either keep them in your pocket; or, a knapsack. I use a backpack for work and have my mod and batteries in a pocket of it.
https://101vape.com/42-battery-cases

Mythical_OD

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years

Congrats on the 2 days off cigs man, really happy for you. Its the first steps of a new direction for your life. Hope you stick with it.

I wouldnt leave a mod in my car on a hot or cold day, or at all really if I can avoid it. Put it in a locker at work, in a desk drawer, in a backpack or bag or briefcase, or just keep it in your pocket. Whatever you gotta do.

BUT, if you put it somewhere where its going to be jumbled around or moved, or even not, please make sure you turn the mod off before (or take the batteries out if it doesnt turn off), because if something presses the button and holds it, it can fire up until it gets so hot it catches fire and burns down your office. Most regulated mods have a 10 second fire limit and can turn off, so take advantage of that. Batteries too. Make sure you keep your batteries in a safe place and make sure they are in a container that keeps them from contact with other items. You dont wanna be setting the building on fire lol.

It just happened 2 weeks ago at another warehouse/office owned by my employer. Someone just threw a mod in their bag without taking the batteries out and it ended up firing until it caught the bag on fire and half the office with it. It can happen, just gotta be careful and use common sense.

pippin65

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Definitely on the battery box. Thanks everyone for all the input. Now it would be awesome to point me in the direction of an idiots guide to using the smok tfv4.

jat009

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Definitely on the battery box. Thanks everyone for all the input. Now it would be awesome to point me in the direction of an idiots guide to using the smok tfv4.
There are several videos on YouTube of the tank that show you everything you would need to know.

greasegizzard

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have two and that's pretty much all I use right now. A couple of things I do to help prevent leaking... Any time I take the tank apart and clean it or change coils, I use a little bit of juice to lube all the o-rings up. They are bad about catching and twisting out of place if they are dry. So I put a little bit of juice on the threads of the coil, some around the inside top and bottom of the glass, and some around the threads on the chimney. I also keep a vape band around the top of the tank to help seal off the top fill part.

VU Sponsors