VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
VU Live Leadership
Show Host
Reviewer
Vape Media
VU Live Host
Member For 5 Years
of vaping. Does anyone else ever feel this way?
Well if you made the switch to vaping from cigarettes, and you feel you no longer need either, I would have to say congratulations to you.

bobnat

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Well if you made the switch to vaping from cigarettes, and you feel you no longer need either, I would have to say congratulations to you.

I think it's time to try to wean off the vaping. I've been at 2.5-3mg for a year, so maybe start decreasing it. I remember when I began I quit the cigs immediately and thought that I'd like to stop vaping within a year. It's been 1.5 years.

Pastorfuzz

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
I don't tire of vaping itself but do sometimes get tired of the upkeep.
I agree to some point, but I like it as a hobby.
Going to start DIY soon. Got the scale and the nic already.
When I retire in a few years it will give me something to do.
Have some friends who went downhill real quick when they retired because they got bored.
I don't plan on following their footsteps.

SMOKIE

THE MODFATHER
Staff member
VU Senior Leadership
VU Senior Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
VU Live Leadership
Show Host
Reviewer
Vape Media
VU Live Host
Member For 5 Years
I started vaping over 9 years ago with the intentions of using e-cigs to help me quit the habit, and never thought I would be pulled into the vaping social community with doing shows, reviews, and running a forum.

I can stop vaping for a few hours but still have the urge for a vape with 3 mg or 0 nic, so I guess it is all about the fixation.

BugSE4FCEAAuYWy.jpg

Letitia9

Citrus Junkie
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
So true Smokie. I'm getting to where as long as I keep a vape close I'm okay if my hands are too busy to vape; I'm good and don't have to stop and vape. I still get separation anxiety tho..

Letitia9

Citrus Junkie
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
I think it's time to try to wean off the vaping. I've been at 2.5-3mg for a year, so maybe start decreasing it. I remember when I began I quit the cigs immediately and thought that I'd like to stop vaping within a year. It's been 1.5 years.
More than a few have successfully quit vaping. Most of them find it is the hand to mouth is the hard part. Maybe start a hobby before putting down the vape. Also do not get rid of all your gear, like smoking sometimes it takes a time or two before quitting sticks.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I guess it is all about the fixation.

I have found that in times where I just can't vape I really don't start Jonesing for it like with cigarettes. At one time I had started making 1.5MG but those recipes have been updated to 3MG because it just lacked something. When I am busy and can't vape it really isn't a problem although I have contemplated making some High Test for those times. I haven't though...........

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
I still get separation anxiety tho.

I am starting to lose that finally - after five years of vaping, lol

Only been off the cigs completely a little over two years; that first year I had to have a vape on my person at all times - showering or in bed, had to make sure I had a vape as close by as possible or would have an immediate Nic fit

It toned down to just being anxious, like if I went to the bathroom without one, taking out the trash, etc

Last year I discovered the healing properties of health food and alternative medicine - I would quit vaping if I thought I could do it without relapsing at some point - for me it is definitely the hand to mouth action, as I'm down to about 2 mg of Nic, and sometimes that is too much

It does get to be a burden at times. It's also time consuming.

If maintenance got to be a hassle, I'd just switch to gear that needs the least amount of work to keep functioning until you just don't feel like vaping anymore

While I'm sure there are plenty out there who have successfully quit and stayed off the vapes, I do see the occasional posts by those who quit vaping, then a year or two later fell back to smoking - that is what worries me the most, as the random urge to smoke a cigarette still haunts me occasionally, though I have to willpower to resist that urge - so far

Letitia9

Citrus Junkie
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
random urge to smoke a cigarette still haunts me occasionally, though I have to willpower to resist that urge - so far
I thought I was good with the smoking urges because I hadn't had one in at least a year...then my dad was dying and it was a slow and painful death. Took everything I had to not smoke. My fear is the unexpected..

SMOKIE

THE MODFATHER
Staff member
VU Senior Leadership
VU Senior Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
VU Live Leadership
Show Host
Reviewer
Vape Media
VU Live Host
Member For 5 Years
You do not have to be a cloud chaser to enjoy vaping, or buy a ridiculous amount of gear.

A good MTL device works great with being low maintenance, just some stock coils, and juice is all you need.

This kit works super great with no leaks, and easy fill.

Innokin Kroma-A 75W TC Box Mod and Zenith Tank Starter Kit

nbmghkkmy.JPG

bobnat

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
If maintenance got to be a hassle, I'd just switch to gear that needs the least amount of work to keep functioning until you just don't feel like vaping anymore

While I'm sure there are plenty out there who have successfully quit and stayed off the vapes, I do see the occasional posts by those who quit vaping, then a year or two later fell back to smoking - that is what worries me the most, as the random urge to smoke a cigarette still haunts me occasionally, though I have to willpower to resist that urge - so far

Yea, you might be onto to something. I've been squonking for about 7 months now. While using RDAs gives the best flavor, it requires more thought. Last week I bought a Crius II single coil, out of curiosity. I've really enjoyed using it, it's simpler than squonking. The flavor is very good, not as good as an RDA, but close. Maybe I'll give the squonking a break.

My biggest fear is also going back to the cigs. In fact, for the last few days I've been thinking about it. It's been 1.5 years since my last one and yesterday I wanted to walk up to someone and bum a cig from them. I guess as ex-smokers we'll probably always be susceptible to going back to it.

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
My biggest fear is also going back to the cigs. In fact, for the last few days I've been thinking about it. It's been 1.5 years since my last one and yesterday I wanted to walk up to someone and bum a cig from them. I guess as ex-smokers we'll probably always be susceptible to going back to it.

Me too

Sometimes months go by and I don't think about it at all - and I live with a smoker

Then out of nowhere - BAMO

About two weeks ago I was sorting some stuff because we are preparing to move - as I was almost to the bottom of a box of old photos, my brain said "as soon as you get to the bottom of this box you can stop and have a smoke."

Same as I would have years ago and completely out of the blue

I truly believe tobacco addiction is no different than alcoholism or narcotics addiction - VU for me is like AA for an alcoholic

David Wolf

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
Sometimes I don't mind but on occasion all the rtas need attention or all the diy is running low. I just can't stand commercial juice anymore. I'm moving into large batch mixing now.
Now that’s a good idea, I need to move to larger batch diy mixing. I’ve already got a good routine for getting 6 doggy style rta’s coiled and wicked once every week or so. My goal is to make vaping less time consuming and less of a hobby. And cheap! :D

SMOKIE

THE MODFATHER
Staff member
VU Senior Leadership
VU Senior Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
VU Live Leadership
Show Host
Reviewer
Vape Media
VU Live Host
Member For 5 Years
You all need to take the survey or flavors will be gone forever!

US Vapor Flavors Survey - FDA Flavors ANPRM

In March, the FDA published an advanced notice of proposed rulemaking (ANPRM) regarding standards for flavored vapor products. An ANPRM is the beginning of the rule making process and serves as an opportunity for all stakeholders to provide feedback to the agency by way of comments and scientific studies.

As part of the effort to address some of the questions posed by the FDA in the ANPRM regarding flavored vapor products, Dr. Konstantinos Farsalinos has developed a survey. The data collected will provide valuable information about patterns of e-cigarette use with a focus on the role that flavors play.

Please take time today (approximately 20 minutes) to complete this survey

https://secure.dacimasoftware.net/CSURES/View/Survey/SurveyDataEntry.aspx

David Wolf

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
Yea, you might be onto to something. I've been squonking for about 7 months now. While using RDAs gives the best flavor, it requires more thought. Last week I bought a Crius II single coil, out of curiosity. I've really enjoyed using it, it's simpler than squonking. The flavor is very good, not as good as an RDA, but close. Maybe I'll give the squonking a break.

I think the one thing that has made me not even want a cigarette in over 3 years is that I vape NETs, alternating with nether diy flavors. To me, NETs taste better than cigs ever did, like tobacco without that ashy tar.

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
I think the one thing that has made me not even want a cigarette in over 3 years is that I vape NETs, alternating with nether diy flavors. To me, NETs taste better than cigs ever did, like tobacco without that ashy tar.

That is what I vape when the urge is strong or even if I just feel kinda jittery from stress - good stuff

David Wolf

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
That is what I vape when the urge is strong or even if I just feel kinda jittery from stress - good stuff
Yes, I highly recommend that any vapers who might be tempted to smoke at least have a NET on hand as a backup plan, far better than “Just one cigarette” that leads them back to smoking. Just for my scientific curiosity, a couple of years ago I smoked a cig to see what it was like, half way through I thought I don’t like this, not as good as my NET, put it out and picked up my mod with a NET. :D I diy using NET extracts and have some fine blends.

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Yes, I highly recommend that any vapers who might be tempted to smoke at least have a NET on hand as a backup plan, far better than “Just one cigarette” that leads them back to smoking

I agree - it doesn't work for everyone but it is definitely a godsend to many

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor

Used to get tired of it, then I added MTL - if I ever want a smoke now, or don't feel satisfied for whatever reason, I just go for the MTL and high salt nicotine and I'm good. Also easier on the lungs than vaping max VG at 80 watts all day - I went to nicotine salts for sub-ohm vaping too, from 3mg to 5mg salt, and I vape a lot less, now. Ahhh, satisfying :yes:

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor

My last few cents...Increase the nicotine, and try NETs or nicotine salts, if you're tired of vaping and thought about smoking. I would swear that nicotine salts are more effective than freebase nicotine, to me, and that regular nicotine liquids seem like a placebo now that I've tried salts.

Some people NEED NICOTINE, after Ever trying it. I am one of those people. Maybe you are too?
Tired of vaping?
Naah it is the only enjoyment I get out of life.

:oops: that's dark, man. :(

Last edited:

Pastorfuzz

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon

My mother quit smoking around 30 years ago.
Back when I was still on the cigs and I went to visit her, she still had the urge to bum one.
She told me that even after 25 years of not smoking, The craving was still with her.

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Used to get tired of it, then I added MTL - if I ever want a smoke now, or don't feel satisfied for whatever reason, I just go for the MTL

I did that a few months ago when I got really strong, persistent urges to smoke - it really did the trick and am back to the once-in-awhile urge

KingPin!

In my defence, I was left unsupervised ^^
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer

Yes I do often Bob. not the vaping itself though, I enjoy that.

I like to title it “a hobby” because it makes it sound better, but if I’m being honest it stopped being that a long time ago .... I’m addicited to Vaping in a destructive way I never experienced with smoking -: Simply I struggle to switch off from it and that’s not a good place to be....in fact it’s past midnight and I’m writing a message just to tell you this!

Letitia9

Citrus Junkie
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Simply I struggle to switch off from it
I'm still like that sometime too. Here lately I keep it on my bedside table and I never did that with cigs. Last few days I don't walk thru the house without a mo in my hand even if I'm coming right back to the couch. Usually lasts a few days then I chill again when in the house. So weird, I still believe vaping can be as much an addiction as smoking. I do like the fact that as long as I can see or reach my vape I'm good most of the time.

KKen

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
My last few cents...Increase the nicotine, and try NETs or nicotine salts, if you're tired of vaping and thought about smoking. I would swear that nicotine salts are more effective than freebase nicotine, to me, and that regular nicotine liquids seem like a placebo now that I've tried salts.

Some people NEED NICOTINE, after Ever trying it. I am one of those people. Maybe you are too?

:oops: that's dark, man. :(

I definitely tapered off my vaping as soon as I increased my nic level. Since then I have steadily decreased my vaping without much thought to it, getting rid of as much gear in the process as I could, but I think I have plateaued to my current level since I still cant give it up completely. That would obviously require me to get rid of my last device, but cant seem to fully commit to that yet, but hoping by end of this year I'll kick it completely.

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Me too

Sometimes months go by and I don't think about it at all - and I live with a smoker

Then out of nowhere - BAMO

About two weeks ago I was sorting some stuff because we are preparing to move - as I was almost to the bottom of a box of old photos, my brain said "as soon as you get to the bottom of this box you can stop and have a smoke."

Same as I would have years ago and completely out of the blue

I truly believe tobacco addiction is no different than alcoholism or narcotics addiction - VU for me is like AA for an alcoholic

I agree, somewhat. I've been sober almost 26 yrs now, and while most of the time, I feel no need for meetings, if that craving bites me, I definitely go to a meeting, because I know very damn well that I'm only 1 drink away from a drunk, and always will be.

Smoking/vaping is a little different. Smoking was a round the clock, all the time, every waking minute thing to do, though in 1998 or so, I finally took it outdoors; it seemed like I was running outdoors every 5 minutes. It gradually got to every 45-60 minutes, but cold weather made me seek some alternative -- enter vaping.

After 3 yrs smoke-free, and 4 yrs vaping, back in February I became too ill with the flu to vape at all -- and I didn't miss it too much, though I would occasionally take a short mouth-only hit just to be sure that it still tasted good to me -- 4 days without vaping once sent me into a dual-use relapse, and I want no part of that, so I had to make sure it still tasted good. Once I got well, people said stupid things to me like "Well, now you know you can quit." I know nothing of the sort. I know I CAN go without vaping if I really need to, or if it just doesn't occur to me because I'm otherwise occupied... but quit? Nope. The imbecile that lives in my brain is still there, and every so often pipes up with a "a cigarette sure would be good, wouldn't it?" I answer that idiot with my vape, and without the vape... I would probably answer by having a hairy screaming shitfit until I got some cigarettes to smoke.

I don't have a lot of maintenance. I make 56 or 58 ml every 10 days or so. My last coil, replaced just yesterday, built to 1.85 ohms and always run somewhere between 9.5 and 10 watts, lasted about 2 months, maybe closer to 3 -- just plain old kanthal, but since I don't BBQ the damn thing with ridiculous wattage, it lasted. I compare that small amount of maintenance with having to stop by Walgreens every other day to give them $11 for 2 pks of smokes, which I then turned into ashes and stink.... and vaping wins hands down.

Anyone who actually does quit vaping, who used to be a smoker.... Keep some vape gear handy; if you relapse, far better to relapse to vaping, than smoking -- and cigarettes are real easy to get.

Andria

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I don't even think about quitting, never did. If I do it will amaze me. I don't think about lowering my nic either, my body tells me when it's time.
I lowered my nic a lot. Started out with 18 mg cigalikes. Soon dropped to 12 mg, still cigalikes and then dropped to 6 with clearos.
Down to a bit under 3 mg now. 6 mg made me not rest well and I have trouble falling asleep anyway.
I have been at this nic level for over a year and expect to stay here.

I do have 1 120 ml bottle of 6 mg tobacco for if I need it though ;)

Letitia9

Citrus Junkie
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
I lowered my nic a lot. Started out with 18 mg cigalikes. Soon dropped to 12 mg, still cigalikes and then dropped to 6 with clearos.
Down to a bit under 3 mg now. 6 mg made me not rest well and I have trouble falling asleep anyway.
I have been at this nic level for over a year and expect to stay here.

I do have 1 120 ml bottle of 6 mg tobacco for if I need it though ;)
I've slowly gone to 8 from 24. Pretty happy here but have been jonesing some lately. Think I'm going to boost one juice to 10mg to see if it helps to hit it a couple timed a day. I don't mind chain vaping but enjoy it more when I'm not.

Canadian Vaper

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
I've slowly gone to 8 from 24. Pretty happy here but have been jonesing some lately. Think I'm going to boost one juice to 10mg to see if it helps to hit it a couple timed a day. I don't mind chain vaping but enjoy it more when I'm not.
I started at 18mg with a CE4, went down to 12mg with a Genitank, stayed at 12mg with the Subtank mini with the original 1.2 ohm coils, then mixed 12mg and 6mg to get 9mg with the 0.5 ohm coils on the STM.. Then I got a Velocity V1, went down to 6mg, stayed with 6mg for about a year and a half then I went down to 4mg (I DIY) and the last batches of juice I made 1x 500ml and 2x 250ml are all 3mg.

I did go down to 1.5mg at one point but I was vaping way way too much, went up to 2.5mg/3mg still vaping too much, went up to 4mg and the porridge wasn't too hot or too cold so stayed with that for a while, hopefully the 3mg does good this time, not much of a big step at this point..

Letitia9

Citrus Junkie
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
I only drop a mg when I step down and notice it for a few days then even back out. I've been considering going back to some 9 and some 8. Could be I've plateaued for another year. It's what I did for 10 to 9 for a few weeks and just slowly fazed out the 10. This time I only had a few 9mg left.

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Reading this thread reminds me of a brilliant Carlin quote, which someone over at asshat-central used for a tagline: "Just because you got the monkey off your back, doesn't mean the circus has left town." To me, that means, go ahead and quit if you really wanna -- but be aware, beware, because it could leave you open to a cigarette relapse. Better to vape from now to infinity than ever smoke another cigarette -- they get their hooks back in PDQ.

Andria

PoppaVic

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I dunno.. I hand-rolled for a couple-decades.. I've no interest in a cig again, same with cigar..

Otoh, periodically I really, really miss the scent of a conditioned Meerschaum pipe and really, really good, rich, dark tobacco.. I'd dive all over a Meerschaum Atty, (instead I just vape my mixes reminding me of a decent pipe ;-)

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I went to Florida a few weeks ago...I didn't vape for three days, it didn't bother me abit.

I've slowed down vaping a LOT in the last year.

VU Sponsors