Become a Patron!

Impressions of the Vamo V9

jlruiz2k

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I was ready to start sub ohm in December and I ordered the Vamo V9, waited about 30 days and received it from chinabuye.com . This was my first purchase from China. Everything looked great in the box, it looked well made. The enjoyment was short lived, there are a couple of design issues:

1. the space for the battery is very limited and the bottom cap to secure the battery has no room to screw in.
2. the top cap (holds the 510 connection) is pressed in and not secured.
3. the control board and internals are not secured to the body.

These design issues caused the issues I have with the Vamo V9, when I attempted to secure the battery with the bottom cap the treads squeak, I continued to secure the bottom cap anyway and the top cap came off. The whole control board and battery pushed the top cap off and everything lost alignment. There was no way to secure the top and bottom cap with an inserted battery (the battery is a flat head).

Resolution

I attempted several fixes but non work until I figured I could just add a rubber o ring to the bottom cap to limit the travel of the cap, I also added shims to the top cap and re pressed it on. Everything is working now but I would not recommend this MOD to anyone, I now use the VAMO V9 as a backup to my Sigelei 150. I will post my experience with chinabuye.com on a different post.

Monotremata

Member For 4 Years
Probably because its a cheap knockoff. There is no real KSD Vamo v9. V7 is the latest. Anything that says v8 or 9 is coming from some unknown Chinese factory, and not KSDs..

Nobody2

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I have a V6 and V7 and they both are great. Never had any problems. Always make sure you buy from a reputable source. Also do a little research and find out how to tell real from fake.

My V7
VamoAndKayfun_zpsedc9142e.jpg

My V6
VamoAndOrchid_zpsab988003.jpg

jlruiz2k

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I understand that the Vamo V9 is not made by KSD and that KSDs latest model is the V7. With this in mind the V9 is a fake not a knockoff as the original has not made that version. When I purchased the V9 there were no reviews or sources of information like you can find now and that is why I posted here. Vamo is a low end MOD and I didn't expect much from the V9 but I expected a working MOD and I didn't receive that. The point of this post is to share my experience. I have previous experience with the V5, hope they fixed the problems on the V5 with the V6 and V7.

Monotremata

Member For 4 Years
What 'problems' were on the v5?? I love my 7. The only reason its not in use now is cause my Sigelei mini is easier to tote around. My v7 has taken hits on my adobe tile floor and asphalt and is still rocking.. My Kayfun 4 took the only damage from the asphalt drop.. Vamo kept on vaping like a champ!

N

Newheart301

Yeah think I got the short end, My wife got my V6 ss., ( flawless ) and V2 chrome I got stuck with her new Sig.mini. Really, the buttons covered with the black rubber sleeve, much harder to get all the time. Still kind of slippery, no better than with the cover off. Slightly too narrow, 22mm tanks hang over a couple of mils. That don't matter to me, even with, the slightly higher price, I like my IPV mini better, feel ,buttons, 22mm. tanks fit, . Only thing is you have to pay attention when screwing the battery cap back on, and like the Sig. it doesn't have pass-through.
271_zps38276a89.jpg

IPVmini
006_zps9e533d38.jpg

V5 Black Chrome short mode, great pocket size.

Last edited by a moderator:

OBDave

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I've got Vamo V2s and V5s - great starter mod, but I wanted a little better quality in an all-day VW workhorse and found it in the Sig 100 - from what I hear thei 100+ and 150 are just as solid and what I'd go with if I were shopping today, but from what I've seen the last couple months I probably won't need another mod for a year or two (even though I've got an iStick 50 on order just to see what the fuss is about)...

Nobody2

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Yeah my Vamo's were great starters and are still good backups. The V7 is 40 watts so its still a viable mod. But also just got the iStick 50 watt (actually have 2 and you're going to love yours when you get it.) and so the Vamo's are rarely used anymore. But they were my first mod and worked flawlessly so they will always be special in a sentimental way.

What 'problems' were on the v5?? I love my 7. The only reason its not in use now is cause my Sigelei mini is easier to tote around. My v7 has taken hits on my adobe tile floor and asphalt and is still rocking.. My Kayfun 4 took the only damage from the asphalt drop.. Vamo kept on vaping like a champ!

The only problem with the V5 that I know of is the 510 connectors threads were too soft and would get stripped on most of them.

Last edited:

jlruiz2k

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years

I had the typical 510 connector threads problem and had to install a new top end, great starter but that's all

VU Sponsors