IMR VRK 3000MAH battery !

Lefty

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
The Orbtronics are quite likely HG2's. They rewrap Japanese and Korean major manufacturer cells. Quite often they state up front what cell is under the wrap. They don't with this particular one but given the mAh and amp rating HG2 is the most likely.

Ms. Trixy

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
The Orbtronics are quite likely HG2's. They rewrap Japanese and Korean major manufacturer cells. Quite often they state up front what cell is under the wrap. They don't with this particular one but given the mAh and amp rating HG2 is the most likely.

Thanks, Lefty. It could very well be a wrap, but considering all of the responses I received on Amazon from flashlight guys, I'm still afraid to use them.
I won that $85 battery charger/volt/amp super device in one of our contests. They won't ship until after the China Holiday on 10/7. I won't use them until then until Chuck (hubby) can check them. I'll have him check against my LGHE2s.

I also have a set of RED LGABHE2 I can't find a thing about. I can only assume they are the HE2, but the numbers don't match anything I've seen. I'll have him test all 3 of them before I use them. Also, I think the HE4's are crap. They don't last a day in my single battery mods.

Lefty

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Thanks, Lefty. It could very well be a wrap, but considering all of the responses I received on Amazon from flashlight guys, I'm still afraid to use them.
I won that $85 battery charger/volt/amp super device in one of our contests. They won't ship until after the China Holiday on 10/7. I won't use them until then until Chuck (hubby) can check them. I'll have him check against my LGHE2s.

I also have a set of RED LGABHE2 I can't find a thing about. I can only assume they are the HE2, but the numbers don't match anything I've seen. I'll have him test all 3 of them before I use them. Also, I think the HE4's are crap. They don't last a day in my single battery mods.
By all means have him check them out. IDK about Amazon but I've always heard good things about Orbtronics in the dedicated flashlight forums like Candlepowerforum when I've googled my way there during various battery searches. They are a vendor for all sorts of flashlight and lighting stuff. Their own label batteries are rebranded - they don't make the cells but do put out some protected versions of cells that aren't originally made so. They also sell OEM brands like LG etc. as well. What they don't do as far as I can tell is inflate specs or use cheap Chinese cells under the wrap. They are certainly premium priced on their own labels. In most cases unless you are looking for high mAh protected cells - as a vaper you wouldn't be - then you'd be better off buying OEM batteries from a known good vendor. Haven't seen Amazon on anyone's list of those. Orbtronics I have seen on lists of known good suppliers for OEM cells. I did notice that on some of Mooch's battery tests he says he purchased the cell being tested from Orbtronics. I wouldn't pay a premium for them but I also wouldn't be nervous about using them if I already had them. Just based on the testing I've seen on the HE4's I'd wonder if yours are genuine.

Last edited:

Ms. Trixy

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
I'll get back with y'all once I get my meter and batteries with the results.

In googling today I came across Mooch's 2 charts of batteries. My particular Orbtronics wasn't there but my red LGs were highly rated. I bought a few more. Oh, I also checked his chart for 26650s. Ohm Grown had some extremely good stats!

Last edited:

NickIsANoob

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
I'll get back with y'all once I get my meter and batteries with the results.

In googling today I came across Mooch's 2 charts of batteries. My particular Orbtronics wasn't there but my red LGs were highly rated. I bought a few more. Oh, I also checked his chart for 26650s. Ohm Grown had some extremely good stats!

Remember what he tested as ohm grown might be a different cell under the wrapper by the time you get your hands on them.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Isn't it the slower a battery charges the better it holds charge ?

Sent from my 710C using Tapatalk
The longer it's lifetime but fast or slow they get the same amount of charge.

Now the faster you discharge one the lower the capacity.

Ms. Trixy

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
Yeah. My HE4s (yellow) are crap now. But, it's been over a year so I'm due for replacements. I keep my batteries color coded; Purple for trip, Brown & red for dual, green or maybe the new pink ones coming in for single. Yellow was for single but they're toast. I put one in my Hcigar last night, just had to recharge it an hour ago.

MannyScoot

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Mine are still kicking some ass !
ade826dd3905cb010a3d77f0075021af.jpg

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk

GorGon27

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
One of mine just vented on my ass. I honestly figure that is just bad luck since they are HG2's. They could be a lower bin though. Meaning did not pass qc. The gray market gets these and rewraps them such as these. Not absolutely so but probably.

GorGon27

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It was in the charger nearly full. It sparked,hissed and shot fire out of the positive end. The top blew off and i cannot find it but the tube remained intact. It was very hot of course. Luckily I just happened to be there. I know you should watch charging but who really does? It was a Pila charger at 1 amp. I am also replacing that charger now just to be safe. The wrapper was intact with the insulator ring in place when this occurred. The scary thing is IMR batteries are not supposed to vent in that manner. I am getting genuine HG2's. I am currently using genuine HG2's but they are older and have lost capacity. I have new ones on the way. You guy's wlil just have to believe me as I taped it up real good and threw it in public trash. I would have no reason to lie about this. One thing though, when I first put it in the charger it showed completely empty then quickly went to one bar. I guess anything can be faulty. I am not sure these are bad or anything.

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It was in the charger nearly full. It sparked,hissed and shot fire out of the positive end. The top blew off and i cannot find it but the tube remained intact. It was very hot of course. Luckily I just happened to be there. I know you should watch charging but who really does? It was a Pila charger at 1 amp. I am also replacing that charger now just to be safe. The wrapper was intact with the insulator ring in place when this occurred. The scary thing is IMR batteries are not supposed to vent in that manner. I am getting genuine HG2's. I am currently using genuine HG2's but they are older and have lost capacity. I have new ones on the way. You guy's wlil just have to believe me as I taped it up real good and threw it in public trash. I would have no reason to lie about this. One thing though, when I first put it in the charger it showed completely empty then quickly went to one bar. I guess anything can be faulty. I am not sure these are bad or anything.
Yep, I don't screw around with re-wrapped rejects. Stick with Authentic Sony, Samsung or LG.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

leaningtreewoodmods

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Unlisted Vendor

Thanks for briefing on what went down with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GorGon27

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
To give the benefit of the doubt as i said it just may be bad luck. of course though, why do they rewrap them? they have to be making money by buying the batteries cheaper. i do not know if they are a lower bin or not.

GorGon27

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I actually got two bad batteries out of six. the Triade would last 45 minutes. With genuine HG2's it lasts all day. I would say if at all possible you should buy genuine. these are not much less money if any. no reason not to buy the real ones. They are readily available. There is obviously some reason for re-wraps. i doubt they just do it for fun. They have to be hiding something. Think about it. would you want a Lexus re-wrapped as a Cadillac for instance. nothing against either of those cars but i am saying there has to be some reason. they are hiding something obviously. I know Manny has better luck but I bet is just that. Luck. It is like a lottery with these. The HG2 you very rarely get a bad cell. Two out of Six is not a good track record to me. Honestly I suggest to avoid these. They can be okay but for the money why gamble. Especially if they vent. That is very serious. This type of battery, if it does vent should do so in a very not volatile way. mine went out much stronger than they should but I must admit still nothing horrible. Older chemistries could be a disaster. Just pass on these. Even if you save 2 bucks a battery which is doubtful it just is not worth it IMO. I think you can get real HG2's for like less than 8 bucks each of you look around. Maybe even cheaper than the VRK. So absolutely no reason to not but the real ones. I have warned you all. It is entirely up to you if you want to play a battery lottery. Even though they will probably not violently explode, I say it is simply not worth it.

Frankm

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I purchased 2 vrk 3000 from a b&m about two weeks ago. First battery which has impressed me in a while. Looking for a place to buy that doesn’t require lube, and found this post.

VU Sponsors