Become a Patron!

In the market for a laptop. Any suggestions?

Savage_46

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I've never needed a computer at home. I use my Playstation or phone for home Internet use. However, times change, & I pretty much need to go with it. Most likely, I'll have a business trip in 3 weeks which may require me taking online classes to immediately qualify for training while I'm there.

My price point is preferably $800. Has to be windows OS. I don't want any of that touch screen crap, and want to stay away from Windows 8.1; which I believe is touch optimized. I would like an i7 processor, but no less than i5. I donno if AMD still does laptop processors. The more RAM & HDD, the better obviously. It will be used for work every now and then, so must be able to run our Explorer & java based programs. I'll find out those specs tomorrow, which should be easily met.

Any input on brands, features, tech specs....to look for would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Frawg

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
You CAN get 8.0 and then get classic shell and never end up seeing that stupid touch-type screen that Win8 was made with. I never see it unless the cats open that for me.

Look on newegg.com - they've got a good bit of options for computers, either desktop or laptop. Desktop will give you far more options for your money.

We have 2 dell laptops & an Alienware pc all bought through dell. As much as people complain I've had no issues other than battery life for the laptops.

You can generally get a good quality dell Laptop and even might be able to find one on clearance on the site for less than your goal, and running windows 7. But I don't know how much MS is keeping win 7 updated. Whatever you do, if you go through them, don't use the mcafee antivirus which lets in EVERYTHING. Get your own preferred antivirus (I use avast! free, but I don't go anywhere risky either).

Probably not much help. I'm not much for specs, I just like having good amounts of memory, processor, and hard drive space. The rest of it is over my pay grade.

bystander

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Is this for work or personal use? What type of work do you do, and what will you be using it for? Screen size preference?

Savage_46

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Good point Frawg on win7 support. I didn't think of that. I realize a desktop would offer a lot more freedom in choices, upgrades, & features; but I just don't need one. I stopped in a pawn shop that I frequent the other day. They've got a couple good ones there for just under $350. One is a HP envy m6 with amd a10-4600m & 6gb ram. The other is Toshiba p855 with Intel i5 3230m & 8gb ram. I didn't think to look at what the sub model is for each. I looked up a comparison of the two processors & the Intel pretty much easily wins at everything. Where it didn't win, it was very close behind. The HP has back-lit keyboard & finger print scanner. Other than those (pretty much) novelty features, I think the Toshiba is the better one to go with.

I don't want anything smaller than 15". 17" would be nice, but not sure what's good in my price range. For now, it would mainly be used for personal with some work use. I work in the shop for a dodge dealership. As far as work goes, I need it to run our java based online classes & tests, render our online wiring diagrams, and run our wireless diag program quickly. Our tech assist website is pretty straight forward. For personal use, it would mainly be Internet & music. Maybe control networked stuff around home, if that's possible with how mine is set up.

Celtic Fog

Tir Na Nog
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Good point Frawg on win7 support. I didn't think of that. I realize a desktop would offer a lot more freedom in choices, upgrades, & features; but I just don't need one. I stopped in a pawn shop that I frequent the other day. They've got a couple good ones there for just under $350. One is a HP envy m6 with amd a10-4600m & 6gb ram. The other is Toshiba p855 with Intel i5 3230m & 8gb ram. I didn't think to look at what the sub model is for each. I looked up a comparison of the two processors & the Intel pretty much easily wins at everything. Where it didn't win, it was very close behind. The HP has back-lit keyboard & finger print scanner. Other than those (pretty much) novelty features, I think the Toshiba is the better one to go with.

I don't want anything smaller than 15". 17" would be nice, but not sure what's good in my price range. For now, it would mainly be used for personal with some work use. I work in the shop for a dodge dealership. As far as work goes, I need it to run our java based online classes & tests, render our online wiring diagrams, and run our wireless diag program quickly. Our tech assist website is pretty straight forward. For personal use, it would mainly be Internet & music. Maybe control networked stuff around home, if that's possible with how mine is set up.
people in los angeles used to run a nasty lil scam...they sell laptops and pc's to pawn shops for cheap....after they installed nasty lil p2p programs on them...middle of the night with your rig left on, they download all of your info....watch for your credit card info and worse...best buy a new one.

Savage_46

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
They wipe all hard drives. If I get one of theirs, I'll be doing it too just to be safe

Celtic Fog

Tir Na Nog
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
They wipe all hard drives. If I get one of theirs, I'll be doing it too just to be safe
pawn shops never put new hard drives in, they can try and wipe, but the roots are in place for good....truuuuust me. Not to mention, some of them are involved in the naughtyness...if you wipe it, it would be better...but there are still nasty little tricks.

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Make sure you get actual install media...not just some OEM bloatware "restore disc" with adware and trials for everything.
No Windows DVD means if ya harddrive or such fries, your SOL. ;)

Or, you can download legit ISO's from Digital River and do a clean install with your own machine's key. That's what I do.

Celtic Fog

Tir Na Nog
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
  • No guarantee of data removal (e.g. DBAN does not detect or securely erase SSDs)
  • No audit-ready reporting for regulatory compliance
  • Limited hardware support (e.g. no RAID dismantling)
  • No customer support or regular software updates
it is a multinational problem. Im not saying its always riskey...Im just saying there is a risk. I personally knew people who did things like this for a living....

GargoyleK1

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Can get it cheaper at Kmart…

Celtic Fog

Tir Na Nog
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
windows 7 over 8 all day long! plus you get a warrenty and it is strong enough to do the job he needs at half the cost of another laptop. Help find one for less CaFF! He needs one.

GargoyleK1

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I've never needed a computer at home. I use my Playstation or phone for home Internet use. However, times change, & I pretty much need to go with it. Most likely, I'll have a business trip in 3 weeks which may require me taking online classes to immediately qualify for training while I'm there.

My price point is preferably $800. Has to be windows OS. I don't want any of that touch screen crap, and want to stay away from Windows 8.1; which I believe is touch optimized. I would like an i7 processor, but no less than i5. I donno if AMD still does laptop processors. The more RAM & HDD, the better obviously. It will be used for work every now and then, so must be able to run our Explorer & java based programs. I'll find out those specs tomorrow, which should be easily met.

Any input on brands, features, tech specs....to look for would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Why does it have to be win doze??? Curious as a Mac can run windows, and is typically a better machine. Cost more though..

I like the mac idea for a few reasons.. You get the best of both worlds really. You can run OSX on one partition for lets say your personal stuff. Then you can run winderz on the other partition for work stuff. If and when your windows install gets jacked up you can always get on the OSX side of the machine and repair it.

Just throwing it out there.. I hope you find a good machine!!

Savage_46

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Picked one up from the pawn shop today, charger included. They were asking $450 before the the 25% off sale. Talked it down to $320. Toshiba p855 s5102. Now I gotta get used to win8.

Also found out yesterday I am getting sent out for training in Kansas City. Nice mini paid for vacation.

Celtic Fog

Tir Na Nog
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Stay away from Ferguson....lol.

vapin Grampa

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years

I really really tried. No really. Try a store....

plinsday

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Best buy always has good ones on the open box shelf. Brand new they have just been touched by thousands. I got a great HP slim book 2.8 GHz 500gb HDD and 4.0 ram I wanna say $500ish when it was really like 880ish. Windows 7 over 8 all day as well with backtrack as a dual OS :-O

Tapatalk: Samsung Note III

VU Sponsors