Become a Patron!

In your Opinion...What is the best build in a Kayfun?

I have been building on Kayfuns for a while now. I am currently using either single strand or braided kanthal microcoils in either the horizontal or chimney style. I am not completely satisfied with the throat hit. Any suggestions?? My builds are usually between 1.5 and 1.8 ohms and I generally vape 14 or 15 watts. Thanks!

GargoyleK1

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I like a standard micro coil around 1.0 ohms.. Works great for me…

I tried the chimney.. Did not like it one little bit.

bluraff3

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I've only ever do horizontal builds, so I can't comment on every possibility. However, I highly recommend the navy nest wicking method for the horizontal build. It's solve all my wicking issues. I use cotton, btw. If you search for navy nest, I posted a thread about it a while back.
If you're looking for more throat hit, you might want to step up your wattage, change flavors or use a higher nic juice.
Fwiw, I'm running a .7 ohm microcoil with 24 gauge kanthal. On a mech it comes out to 20 to 25 watts, depending on the battery charge.

Cloudy Peak Vapes

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Unlisted Vendor
I find 1.2 ohms to be my ideal spot. I was using 1/16th bits, with 6/7 wraps to achieve that, but I was constantly chocking my wicks. I stepped up to a 3/32 bit and rayon and wicking is no longer an issue, but I still only have 30 gauge, so I can only do 4/5 wraps. I need more surface area, and thus will be ordering some thicker kanthal.

I currently have one built at 1.6, so I could get the same amount of wraps on the larger bit, and it leaves a lot to be desired in the flavor department. 1.2 is perfect IMO.

With cotton I do a .45 degree angle for my coils, but with rayon I do horizontal to place the wick directly onto the deck. I'd step your ohms down a tad and see how that does for ya. Just gotta experiment, we all like it different, and that's why RBA's kick ass.

And I have been intending on doing a vertical and navy nest for a while, just been lazy. I need to try it out.

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
Not sure of the exact diameter as I use a freaking nail to wrap my coils on.

But they come out to be a Micro Coil, 32 guage Kanthal a 6/7 wrap and come out to 2.0 ohms.

Horizontal coil 1 to 2 mm over the air hole with a Ramie wick.

Plenty of TH for me anyway with a 60/40 mix at 12mg and depending on the flavor (and device) between 10.5 to 15 watts.

Ellipsis

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
1.3 to 1.6 ohm coil (micro or traditional)
traditional wrapped recommended for heavier vg and higher wattage chain vaping
2mm to 2.5 mm ID on the coil
9.5 to 17 ( watts has worked great)...(18 to 22 watts my particular eliquid had issues)
navy nest or modified navy nest wicking method
wont dry hit
very rarely leaks/floods
have used twisted silica, ekowool, cotton and readyxwick
i lift the coil so that the bottom of the coil is level with the screw heads on the neg. and pos. terminals
hope this helps

Lefty

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Straight 28ga micro 9 wraps 2mm about 1.4ohms wicked with Japanese organic cotton trimmed at deck height. Good balance between responsiveness on my mechs and high enough resistance for my Cana to regulate without having to crank the watts. Great taste and no leaks or dry hits.

Thank you all for sharing your experiences! I look forward to experimenting further. I have ordered and should receive within the next couple of days a Vapor Shark rDNA. Looking forward to playing around on it with the higher wattages and different builds! I will definitely look into the navy nest wicking method. Thank you all again! I will check back soon for further inclusions!

bluraff3

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years

VH fan

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I have been building on Kayfuns for a while now. I am currently using either single strand or braided kanthal microcoils in either the horizontal or chimney style. I am not completely satisfied with the throat hit. Any suggestions?? My builds are usually between 1.5 and 1.8 ohms and I generally vape 14 or 15 watts. Thanks!

Surprised your having issues with those specs , the Kayfun works great with builds in that range and 28 gauge is the size i like the most . I think your wattage range is just fine , i actually go a little lower , upping your nic will give a better throat hit but i don't know if thats what you want to do.

Kayfun's don't like very low builds and don't like much higher wattage either , your in the right range.

bluraff3

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
My kayfun seems to like .7 quite a bit. Had heard that it wouldn't, but I told her that it's good to try new things and it turns out she liked it a lot.
Out of curiosity, why is everyone avoiding subohming the kayfun?

Thunderball

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Your not alone on sub ohming the Kayfun. I find the airflow needs to be drilled out for some better sub ohming on it though.
I use the ES models just because of the better airflow .
I understand someone out there has put more air holes on the base which would be great. No drilling needed. :)

.7 is not a problem though on a standard Kayfun.

.2 or .4 ...... I would need much more airflow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bluraff3

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Your not alone on sub ohming the Kayfun. I find the airflow needs to be drilled out for some better sub ohming on it though.
I understand someone out there has put more air holes on the base which would be great. No drilling needed. :)

Ahh. Agreed on the airflow. I would like some more, but it's still a great vape (to me at least) at .7. I have trouble getting enough airflow at .2 on my TOBH. I would never try that on a kayfun.

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
I normally run 1.2 ohm standard 28g horizontal micros...but sometimes I get frisky and build a 24g Gplat sub ohm micro

Thunderball,

The last two EHpro kayfuns I have purchased came pre drilled with two airholes. Just thought that may help in your search.

I have adjusted my resistance just a touch. I now have one build at .9ohm 28 gauge braided kanthal with organic cotton wick. Hits like a champ with plenty enough vapor for me. Another build is a 1.2ohm Clapton Coil built according to the video posted on YouTube by Rip Trippers. This thing is absolutely GREAT at about 20 to 22 watts! Killer throat hit and super vapor! Takes a little patience to build this coil, but IMO well worth the effort! Thank you all for your suggestions! They have been most helpful! Keep it going! We may come up with a lot more great ideas! Thank you again! Happy vaping!

Daniel

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I normally run 1.2 ohm standard 28g horizontal micros...but sometimes I get frisky and build a 24g Gplat sub ohm micro
I've been running a .8 micro coil, horizontal on my Ephro Kayfuns with no problems, but I think I need to thin out the amount of organic cotton I put through the coil. Most of the time it's pretty tight, and I have to twist the ends pretty tight to get it through. But it fluffs out real good on the ends afterwards. Should I start cutting back to where the cotton just slides easily through the coil ya think?

KKen

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The lowest resistance I have tried with a Kayfun was .6ohm, but worked quite well because the deck was modified with 3 additional air-holes for a total of 4. On a standard, out of the box Kayfun, 1ohm is my limit or the TH is too much for my preference. This is also with the airflow screw on the bottom removed.

My personal sweet spot is a 1/16 micro coil reading in at around 1.15-1.2ohms via 28g wire. Any higher and I notice less flavor & vapor, (I like to use it w/ mechanical mods) and going lower does increases the vapor production and flavor to an extent, but the TH & temperature intensifies above what I normally like.

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
I've been running a .8 micro coil, horizontal on my Ephro Kayfuns with no problems, but I think I need to thin out the amount of organic cotton I put through the coil. Most of the time it's pretty tight, and I have to twist the ends pretty tight to get it through. But it fluffs out real good on the ends afterwards. Should I start cutting back to where the cotton just slides easily through the coil ya think?
I like firm but not "dripper tight". I've also switched to Japanese cotton and find it to be quite ace!

Cotton is kind of a double edged sword. LOL. IMO it should be twisted just enough to move through the coil snugly. Too tight, and it will give you dry hits, and too loose, it will give you a burnt cotton taste. This may be a bit confusing, but all I use in my builds is organic cotton, and I have found that if you just let it slide back and forth through the coil snugly, you are alright. Also, be wary about how much cotton you let lay on your deck. Too much, and it will flood. I just leave enough on the deck to wick the liquid up. This has been a successful combination for me. hope it helps.

Daniel

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Cotton is kind of a double edged sword. LOL. IMO it should be twisted just enough to move through the coil snugly. Too tight, and it will give you dry hits, and too loose, it will give you a burnt cotton taste. This may be a bit confusing, but all I use in my builds is organic cotton, and I have found that if you just let it slide back and forth through the coil snugly, you are alright. Also, be wary about how much cotton you let lay on your deck. Too much, and it will flood. I just leave enough on the deck to wick the liquid up. This has been a successful combination for me. hope it helps.
I did some changing around today. I took my top 4 mods & tanks, all Kayfuns, and I changed the coil to a .94, .96, .94, .98 and changed the wicking to Angel Hair. I made it loose enough to slide thru with a modicum of resistance, but not tighter than Dick's hatband.

And that seemed to greatly improve my vaping experience on all levels. I seem to get more taste, and alot more vapor production. I layed enough in the deck to soak up the liquid, a nice S pattern, but with the ends coming around to form an oval shape around the coil. But the coil is fully exposed.

For the coil I used 26 g Kanthal, wrapped 8 times around a 1/16 copper rod. When the wife asked me what I was doing draining all my tanks and rebuilding them, I told her it was my tank improvement day..

I did some changing around today. I took my top 4 mods & tanks, all Kayfuns, and I changed the coil to a .94, .96, .94, .98 and changed the wicking to Angel Hair. I made it loose enough to slide thru with a modicum of resistance, but not tighter than Dick's hatband.

And that seemed to greatly improve my vaping experience on all levels. I seem to get more taste, and alot more vapor production. I layed enough in the deck to soak up the liquid, a nice S pattern, but with the ends coming around to form an oval shape around the coil. But the coil is fully exposed.

For the coil I used 26 g Kanthal, wrapped 8 times around a 1/16 copper rod. When the wife asked me what I was doing draining all my tanks and rebuilding them, I told her it was my tank improvement day..

I had kind of the same sort of day. I have used Kayfuns for several months now, but have been toying around with the idea of trying the fogger v4 out. It has the option of a dual coil build. I found a couple on eBay for 24 bucks a piece, so I ordered them. They came in on Saturday, but I was headed out of town for the weekend, so I did not have time to deal with them. Needless to say, when I got back home today...that was priority one! (I hate having a new toy and not being able to play with it! LOL!) I had to make a couple of modifications to the atty before use, specifically, drilling the air holes larger to match the size of the holes on the deck, and milling the air flow adjustment ring with my dremmel to accommodate the larger holes, but other than that, everything looked great! The threads were smooth, 303 SS. I was pretty impressed. I built them both tonight. The first was standard .28 Kanthal micro coils around a 5/64" rod, at .9ohm. The second, I got a bit fancy with. I used triple twisted .32 kanthal. Dual micro coil on a 5/64" rod at .8ohm. I will tell you this...The wicking is a little tricky, and you have to wrap both coils under the same screws in the positive and negative posts, but other than that....these things are a BEAST!!! Thick dense vapor!! I know now why they are called the fogger! I am vaping them at 22 watts on my Vapor Shark rDNA, and it is KILLER! A warm, dense, flavorful vapor. Quick pulls, and killer throat hit! I am going to order the Big fogger version, 28 mm, to go on my Tatroe Big Nasty mech mod! I do not think it will replace my Kayfuns, but I am really diggin it! My wife usually just rolls her eyes and walks off whenever I get into "rebuild mode" LOL!

Texasdawg

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Im running a 24 gauge titanium coil wrapped 10 times around a 3/32 drill bit at .3 ohms on a cloupor t5. I've drilled out the air holes and center screw and dremeled the slots larger for liquid. I use rayon pulled tight thru the coil and it works great. No dry hits and run it at 20 watts. Much better than stock,,,

Hobby Kid

Brighton Boy
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Surprised your having issues with those specs , the Kayfun works great with builds in that range and 28 gauge is the size i like the most . I think your wattage range is just fine , i actually go a little lower , upping your nic will give a better throat hit but i don't know if thats what you want to do.

Kayfun's don't like very low builds and don't like much higher wattage either , your in the right range.
yea, i think i agree with this. my first generation kayfuns (if there is such a thing) were quite dire at wicking and well, just about everything. but since finding a good set of kayfuns with deep juice channels and larger air flows i rebuild them now with 26-28awg and sub ohm around .7 with a slightly higher nic and vape at 20watts. it's a completely difference experience to when i first started using them.

Uber300

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I drilled mine out as well, also dremeled the juice channels, great minds think alike I guess. Did the same to my Aqua. I run dual 1/16 nano coils, 26ga, with rayon. 6 wraps on each coil. Hits like a dream! .5 ohms at 17 watts.

VapedCrusader

Custard Junkie
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
horizontal 28g/ 7 wraps @ 1.1-1.2 ohms microcoil with rayon cellucotton. Gives me an amazing vape every single time.

I must say that after getting my Taifun, the KF's got put on the back burner for awhile.. I think next will be trying out the Fogger since they have come down in price

BUDKISS

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Unlisted Vendor
I have a single twisted 30g coil at .9 in mine. I wicked with rayon cellucotton (which I recently have fallen love with).

Hobby Kid

Brighton Boy
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have a single twisted 30g coil at .9 in mine. I wicked with rayon cellucotton (which I recently have fallen love with).
i'm waiting for some cotton to arrive from japan which i'm looking forward to putting in my kayfun, but it's taking forever to get here

VH fan

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
yea, i think i agree with this. my first generation kayfuns (if there is such a thing) were quite dire at wicking and well, just about everything. but since finding a good set of kayfuns with deep juice channels and larger air flows i rebuild them now with 26-28awg and sub ohm around .7 with a slightly higher nic and vape at 20watts. it's a completely difference experience to when i first started using them.

I don't think so lol, it goes against everything i said . It's all personal preference of course and anything lower ohm on mine kills the flavor for me , drippers i notice the same thing with , i much prefer higher ohm builds for flavor.

The Kayfun was never intended to be a major cloud producer , luckily i could care less about maximum cloud production .

I wanted and concentrated on achieving the best possible flavor and after extensive experimentation it was obvious to me i don't get that with hotter builds , quite the opposite actually.

Hobby Kid

Brighton Boy
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I don't think so lol, it goes against everything i said . It's all personal preference of course and anything lower ohm on mine kills the flavor for me , drippers i notice the same thing with , i much prefer higher ohm builds for flavor.

The Kayfun was never intended to be a major cloud producer , luckily i could care less about maximum cloud production .

I wanted and concentrated on achieving the best possible flavor and after extensive experimentation it was obvious to me i don't get that with hotter builds , quite the opposite actually.

clearly i found it misleading what you said. thanks for taking the time to correct that.

it's a shame it kills the flavour for you as i've found it's improved the kayfun's overall experience - but it takes practice.

KKen

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I've found that every tank device I've tried works great if I just benchmark a build at 1ohm. From there, just go lower or higher if needed ;)

Cruel-Phate

Just Thomas
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Russian 91% clone (pretty much same as Kayfun) 28g 7 wrap using cotton, comes out to a 1.3/1.4 using one of those little screw drivers for xbox

KKen

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Was time to do a dry burn on my Kayfun coil, so took some pics on how I setup my wick:

9vjygj.jpg

25iqkhj.jpg

30jl544.jpg

Coil is 28g Kanthal, 7-8 wraps @1.15ohms. Japanese cotton is very easy to use because the thickness will remain even from end to end, meaning you will wick evenly on both sides. I still use regular cotton for my RDA's, but for the Kayfun, this is pretty much the only cotton I recommend using.

The last pic shows the build inside the bell housing, try to tuck the tails inwards towards the deck leaving the channel hole exposed.

106h7kk.jpg

Hope that helps, happy vaping!

smacksy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I like 26g at 1.1 ohms on the provari..

D

Donald Bickers

my fav on my KFL is 28guage 6 wraps for 1.0 ohms,i use cotton in the navy nest style,,,,,,,,Awesome hitter
gOejo3b.jpg

aussie

Bronze Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
Has to be chimney for me 8 wraps 28 1.2ohms

Galaxyrider

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
When I left my EGOs, I got an M-16 and a KFL, thats been my daily driver until I got a DNA 30, Ive been real regular about my coils, 1.0 - 1.5, 28 ga , firing at 10-12 watts.

alexhenderson

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
The Kayfun is a great device, plain and simple. Just consider these tips – keep the juice channels clear, perfect your wick length/placement, and keep your coil glowing evenly – and you’ll take your vaping experience to a new level.

Saddletramp1200

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Not sure of the exact diameter as I use a freaking nail to wrap my coils on.

But they come out to be a Micro Coil, 32 guage Kanthal a 6/7 wrap and come out to 2.0 ohms.

Horizontal coil 1 to 2 mm over the air hole with a Ramie wick.

Plenty of TH for me anyway with a 60/40 mix at 12mg and depending on the flavor (and device) between 10.5 to 15 watts.
That's U Rj, High Tech as usual!:cool:

D

Donald Bickers

everybody has there favorite coil that suits there preferences,but the wicking style has a lot to do with your build,and as this is about kayfuns,I like the navy nest style wick,,,IMO it cant be beat.this is all I use in my kayfuns.

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
everybody has there favorite coil that suits there preferences,but the wicking style has a lot to do with your build,and as this is about kayfuns,I like the navy nest style wick,,,IMO it cant be beat.this is all I use in my kayfuns.

Can you provide a good link for this build?

tick22

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Was time to do a dry burn on my Kayfun coil, so took some pics on how I setup my wick:

9vjygj.jpg

25iqkhj.jpg

30jl544.jpg

Coil is 28g Kanthal, 7-8 wraps @1.15ohms. Japanese cotton is very easy to use because the thickness will remain even from end to end, meaning you will wick evenly on both sides. I still use regular cotton for my RDA's, but for the Kayfun, this is pretty much the only cotton I recommend using.

The last pic shows the build inside the bell housing, try to tuck the tails inwards towards the deck leaving the channel hole exposed.

106h7kk.jpg

Hope that helps, happy vaping!

Thanks for the pictures, I have always been a "I have to see it" person or see it done live. Reading with no pictures just confuse me..

D

Donald Bickers

I do my navy nest using cotton,just roll it like silica and it works fine
gOejo3b.jpg

tick22

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Thanks guys, I just did my first success kayfun build that has not leaked yet. Had the damn thing 3 days and finally, no leaking. I t was a wicking problem for sure.

VU Sponsors