Become a Patron!

Incompatible wire gauges?

BananaRoo

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I'm sorry I have to start a new thread, I replied this in a thread that seemed suitable but I don't think anyone has seen my comment, the thread id pretty old, so here we go, I will paste my question here:

"Hello people, I have a problem with my tfv8 baby rba and 30 gauge wire, so I thought I'd ask here and not start a new thread.
I'm new to building first of all and this rba is my first. So I'm trying to make 0.7 build (1.4 for each coil) with 30 g kanthal. When I install the coils they read 0.10 though (and 0.17 when just one coil is installed but that seems to fluctuate, sometimes it reads as low as 0.01, it gets crazy)! I tried 28 g kanthal too and every coil reads like it's supposed to.
Are there any limitations as far as gauge or ohms the tfv8 baby rba will go? Or am I doing something wrong?
(Btw I installed premade 28 gauge 1.4 coils too and they work fine so either I just can't build 30 gauge or the rba won't read 30 gauge correcly cause it's too thin??)"

Please I need an answer soon because this atomizer is new and I would hate to have to buy another one and keep this one as a spare, it was pretty expensive too! I'm currently using it as a single coil mtl (yes I know...I like it airy anyway!)

Thank you!

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Your coil wire is touching the RBA housing somewhere it shouldnt, causing a short. Can you get pictures? If not, just triple check your 30 gauge coil is not touching Anything except where the ends are screwed in.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The atomizer may not be clamping down tightly enough on 30 ga wire.
but it sounds like you have a coil shorting oot to the chamber housing or the case of the atomizer.

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
It could also be the ends of your wire aren't fully trapped by the screws, but that would normally make the ohms read higher...hmmmm

30 gauge is thin to be doing sub-ohm, looks like each coil of yours would only be 4 wraps or so, that's tiny!

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
i think that atty was likely designed for 26 ga or larger wire.
considering the airflow in that atomizer I do not think you can get a good vape on 30 ga wire. It will just not handle enough power.

BananaRoo

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Thank you both for the replies! I have checked a million times and as I mentioned everything works fine with 28 or 26 g wire.
Pegleg Meg, I'm not trying to sub ohm with 30 gauge actually, right now I have a 28 g coil that reads 1.3, it's good but I thought with 30g I could make use of the dual coil design deck and not have to plug one of the air flow holes like I have done now.

Cromwell, yes I think it's probably that the atomizer wasn't even designed for wire that thin, that's the only thing that explains my situation, but since I'm new to rebuilding I wasn't even sure if tha was a possibility.

It may be weird trying to get minimum 0.6 ohms (my ideal would be 1 ohm or more actually) with this particular atty but I loved the design so much I thought I'd try it!

I might buy another rta designed for mtl though just to have that option.

-EDIT-

Since we're all here, do you think the wotofo serpent alto would handle 30g wire? Or any other wire given it can result to an above ohm coil?

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Thank you both for the replies! I have checked a million times and as I mentioned everything works fine with 28 or 26 g wire.
Pegleg Meg, I'm not trying to sub ohm with 30 gauge actually, right now I have a 28 g coil that reads 1.3, it's good but I thought with 30g I could make use of the dual coil design deck and not have to plug one of the air flow holes like I have done now.

Cromwell, yes I think it's probably that the atomizer wasn't even designed for wire that thin, that's the only thing that explains my situation, but since I'm new to rebuilding I wasn't even sure if tha was a possibility.

It may be weird trying to get minimum 0.6 ohms (my ideal would be 1 ohm or more actually) with this particular atty but I loved the design so much I thought I'd try it!

I might buy another rta designed for mtl though just to have that option.

-EDIT-

Since we're all here, do you think the wotofo serpent alto would handle 30g wire? Or any other wire given it can result to an above ohm coil?

Mmm I would say yes, it can trap 30 gauge wire in those posts, but will be easy to snap the wire off if you tighten the screws too much.
http://www.steam-engine.org/coil.html?p=roundmulti&r=1&str=2&id=3.5

You could do this and get exactly 1 ohm, and it would be a good vape imo.
You can even fit more wraps in there easily. Could also use 28 and more wraps, and less headache in getting 28 guage wire to "act right" and look nice
Edit: You Can get above 1 ohm with 30 guage wire and two coils, easily! Like I said, 0.7 ohms would just be 4 wraps each coil, double that to 8 wraps and 1.4 ohms and good to go, unless I misunderstand you!

BananaRoo

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Mmm I would say yes, it can trap 30 gauge wire in those posts, but will be easy to snap the wire off if you tighten the screws too much.
http://www.steam-engine.org/coil.html?p=roundmulti&r=1&str=2&id=3.5

You could do this and get exactly 1 ohm, and it would be a good vape imo.
You can even fit more wraps in there easily. Could also use 28 and more wraps, and less headache in getting 28 guage wire to "act right" and look nice
Edit: You Can get above 1 ohm with 30 guage wire and two coils, easily! Like I said, 0.7 ohms would just be 4 wraps each coil, double that to 8 wraps and 1.4 ohms and good to go, unless I misunderstand you!
Well since the serpent alto is a single coil deck i don't even need 30g then to get above ohm, that's good. And if it's dual coil its half the resistance right? So it would be 0.7 not 1.4. But i may not understand you correctly! Since i cant fit 30g in the tfv8 though it doesn't matter (unless you meant for the serpent but, again, its single coil so its fine).

Btw, i don't think i see your link correctly, it shows 1.8ohm single coil with twisted wire?

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Well since the serpent alto is a single coil deck i don't even need 30g then to get above ohm, that's good. And if it's dual coil its half the resistance right? So it would be 0.7 not 1.4. But i may not understand you correctly! Since i cant fit 30g in the tfv8 though it doesn't matter (unless you meany for the serpent but, again, its single coil so its fine).

Btw, i don't think i see your link correctly, it shows 1.8ohm single coil with twisted wire?

Sent from my UMI_MAX using Tapatalk

Sorry, I didn't realize it would reset, one moment...

With dual coils, you will get 1.4 ohm overall with each coil being 8 wraps at 30 guage, that means one coil would be 2.8 ohms. I'm bad at explaining sometimes lol

If you go to that link again and change the variables around, you can find all sorts of configurations that will work -

Screenshot_20171219-203133.png Screenshot_20171219-203140.png

BananaRoo

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Sorry, I didn't realize it would reset, one moment...

With dual coils, you will get 1.4 ohm overall with each coil being 8 wraps at 30 guage, that means one coil would be 2.8 ohms. I'm bad at explaining sometimes lol

If you go to that link again and change the variables around, you can find all sorts of configurations that will work -

View attachment 99072 View attachment 99073
Oh alright, thanx! You mean simple 30g wire though, not twisted this time, right? (for the 2.8 ones). If so then sadly can't use them but if you have any suggestions for a thicker wire i would appreciate it, although i have checked many configurations on steam engine and most of them have a very high heat capacity so i dont think they would work well.

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Oh alright, thanx! You mean simple 30g wire though, not twisted this time, right? (for the 2.8 ones). If so then sadly can't use them but if you have any suggestions for a thicker wire i would appreciate it, although i have checked many configurations on steam engine and most of them have a very high heat capacity so i dont think they would work well.

Yes, simple! I never built on the Smok RBA so dont know, I dont think that's meant to be used as a MTL though

BananaRoo

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Yes, simple! I never built on the Smok RBA so dont know, I dont think that's meant to be used as a MTL though
Haha yes i know its actually supposed to be for huge clouds lol, but hey, i managed to get an airy mtl with it, the only problem is the 30g wire doesn't fit right. Thanks again!

CactusFanaticus

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
One thing to take note of is the beast tanks have a floating 510 pin, if the rba section is screwed into the bottom tank section before it is put onto the device used for building/checking coils, or screwed down too much, the bottom of the rba will push the pin out until the rba section contacts the bottom tank section (shorted out)

Worth checking that isn’t what’s going on

BananaRoo

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
One thing to take note of is the beast tanks have a floating 510 pin, if the rba section is screwed into the bottom tank section before it is put onto the device used for building/checking coils, or screwed down too much, the bottom of the rba will push the pin out until the rba section contacts the bottom tank section (shorted out)

Worth checking that isn’t what’s going on
Right, i have noticed that. So i always screw in the rba to the bottom part first and then on the mod but never too much, just to the point where it feels secure. It even leaves a tiny gap between the mod and the atty. Do you think that might be a problem? Should i try it another way? Remember, the only "problematic" coils are the 30g ones though, every other size wire reads fine.

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Hey I just looked at the TFV8 RBA head, I see no reason why 30 guage wouldnt work. Either your coils are touching the posts, the sides of the barrel, or you got tiny clippings of wire in there somewhere.

Consider taking the grub screws out all the way and look inside the posts for any tiny pieces of 30 guage wire that may have fallen in

Last edited:

CactusFanaticus

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Try screwing the bottom section onto the mod all the way first, then installing the rba section just until it is showing contact. That way the pin will be pushed up by the mods 510 and prevent the rba from touching the bottom of the inside of the base, worth a shot.

BananaRoo

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Try screwing the bottom section onto the mod all the way first, then installing the rba section just until it is showing contact. That way the pin will be pushed up by the mods 510 and prevent the rba from touching the bottom of the inside of the base, worth a shot.
I will try it. Wont the deck be raised though? Will i be able to assemble the whole thing properly?

CactusFanaticus

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
after fired/pulsed/wicked remove from base and install like a factory coil (screw rba into top section/chimney first then install glass/bottom then install onto mod. The glass prevents the bottom of the rba from screwing down too far. Once installed on the mod the mod’s 510 will push the floating pin up to contact rba correctly

BananaRoo

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
after fired/pulsed remove from base and install like a factory coil (screw rba into top section/chimney first then install glass/bottom then install onto mod. The glass prevents the bottom of the rba from screwing down too far. Once installed on the mod the mod’s 510 will push the floating pin up to contact rba correctly
Well then i will try building this way and let you know, im very curious too! I will check the screws for tiny wires too. I just cant help but wondering how all the other coils i install work, just not the ones made with 30g wire.

BananaRoo

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Mini update: Since I don't want to change my coil or wick yet because they are new, I tried just re-assembling the atty the way CactusFanaticus suggested. I have a coil in there now (28 gauge) that read 1.23 before, with no fluctuations or issues, and after screwing everything together like this it's 1.28 ohms. It's suspicious so when it's time to actually change my wick I will try the 30 gauge wire coils too and let you know :)

BananaRoo

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Btw I would still appreciate comments on the Serpent Alto because I seem to be throwing money on vape stuff these days like there's no tomorrow, I'd like my next hardware purchase to be the last for a long while!!

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Sorry no Alto here.
Only use the Subtank mini with RBA and the origional Serpent RTA.
Gave all my other tanks away.
Ohh I have a serpent RDTA also. Vapes nice but too much trouble.

BananaRoo

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Sorry no Alto here.
Only use the Subtank mini with RBA and the origional Serpent RTA.
Gave all my other tanks away.
Ohh I have a serpent RDTA also. Vapes nice but too much trouble.

Right, it's ok, I wish someone that has it will see this thread hah! Or should I start a new thread? I don't have much experience with forums either!

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Another from Vic? (EDIT it's the same one oops) I've watched this review a million times for some reason haha! Buy one and we can share our experiences :p

I think the siren would work for me since I like a restricted lung hit.
However as I stated in the other thread I do not think the Also would make a good tight MTL vape due to the large holes under the coil.
digiflavor Siren V2.
Vic also does a review on it and loves it for MTL.

BananaRoo

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I think the siren would work for me since I like a restricted lung hit.
However as I stated in the other thread I do not think the Also would make a good tight MTL vape due to the large holes under the coil.
digiflavor Siren V2.
Vic also does a review on it and loves it for MTL.
Ahh ok, I've heard people say it's not restricted enough but since I like a cool and airy MTL anyway (I never liked the ones where your jaws hurt after each drag) I think it'll be alright for my taste. Best of luck with choosing your new atty :)

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Ahh ok, I've heard people say it's not restricted enough but since I like a cool and airy MTL anyway (I never liked the ones where your jaws hurt after each drag) I think it'll be alright for my taste. Best of luck with choosing your new atty :)
FT has Alto clones for around $9.

BananaRoo

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
FT has Alto clones for around $9.
Yes I've seen them, I'm thinking about it but shipping takes at least one sometimes two months! I cant wait that long lol, plus, I've found the original here (Greece) for 29 euros (34 dollars?) which is an OK price for Greece with the taxes and everything. And I can have it a week after I order it, not two months!

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
A decent price.
It seems to run mid 20 USD here if you can find it.
I think it has been discontinued in production.
As so many good atomizers do.

BananaRoo

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
A decent price.
It seems to run mid 20 USD here if you can find it.
I think it has been discontinued in production.
As so many good atomizers do.
Wow I thought It was around 30-35$ there too, 20$ is a very good price. I noticed they have been discontinued too and wondered if that means they weren't selling which might mean they are not as good as reviewers say? But I don't know anything about how that market works so I might be mistaken and a bit paranoid too lol!

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Wow I thought It was around 30-35$ there too, 20$ is a very good price. I noticed they have been discontinued too and wondered if that means they weren't selling which might mean they are not as good as reviewers say? But I don't know anything about how that market works so I might be mistaken and a bit paranoid too lol!
Naah being good has nothing to do with being discontinued.
it is a mod/atty of the month thing.
In vaping 3 months old is obsolete, sales wise.

BananaRoo

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Mini update: Since I don't want to change my coil or wick yet because they are new, I tried just re-assembling the atty the way CactusFanaticus suggested. I have a coil in there now (28 gauge) that read 1.23 before, with no fluctuations or issues, and after screwing everything together like this it's 1.28 ohms. It's suspicious so when it's time to actually change my wick I will try the 30 gauge wire coils too and let you know :)
Real update, just to be over with this and maybe help some other people with this problem.

I have tried everything you guys suggested multiple times, the 30 gauge wire doesn't want to work with this rba. So i'll just keep this as a DL atty and buy another one for MTL. Cheers!

VU Sponsors