Become a Patron!

Inconsistent flavor?

jimskeet

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Hi guys.
I would like some advice on an issue I have.
I am new to vaping and I started by making my own eliquid.
I have done a recipe called goofy's juice from e-liquid-recipe which is a ry4, hazelnut, acetyl pyrazin, peanut butter and graham cracker mix.
The issue is that some times the flavor is great and some other times I feel it is terrible.
The recipe suggested 2 weeks steeping but I let it steep only one week.
So I am thinking maybe the flavor hasn't been diluted evenly in the liquid and every time I fill my tank is a different mixture. So some times I get more balanced flavor and others worst. Could this be the issue?
Also I am vaping at 0 nic and some times I chain vape a lot. Maybe my taste due to chain vaping gets affected and I am just "tricked" by vaper's tongue and think that the flavor is bad?
Any thoughts?
I have already mixed a new batch and will let it for a full 2 weeks and shake it and heat every day to see if the issue was the steeping process.

Markw4mms

#Team Jimi Supporter
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
While steeping can help, I don't recommend repeated heating of the juice, a good shake should suffice.
I hope you shook all your flavors well before mixing with them and always shack your juice before filling a tank or dripper.

jimskeet

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Hmm I don't remember if I did shake the flavor bottles well before mixing my liquids. I do shake the bottles I use to fill my tank though.
So you suggest heating the juice only the first time? I use a hair dryer to heat it a little bit and then shake it well and let it settle.
Also is vapors tongue a constant issue or it just happens during the first period of vaping and stops happening after a while?

Heabob

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Hmm I don't remember if I did shake the flavor bottles well before mixing my liquids. I do shake the bottles I use to fill my tank though.
So you suggest heating the juice only the first time? I use a hair dryer to heat it a little bit and then shake it well and let it settle.
Also is vapors tongue a constant issue or it just happens during the first period of vaping and stops happening after a while?

Important to shake flavorings before mixing.

If you're steeping for a week anyway, you really don't need to use heat at all IMO.
But you can warm up your VG under hot water before mixing though as it makes it easier to work with.

Usually when vaping first thing in the morning I get better flavor when compared to later in the day when vaping the same mix.
Seems to just repeat this somewhat every day.
Certain mixes are worse than others with this I've noticed.

Markw4mms

#Team Jimi Supporter
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
As was mentioned in Heabob's post, I never feel the need to heat for steeping. Nothing works as well as a good shake periodically, and time.

iVapeDIY

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
The issue is that some times the flavor is great and some other times I feel it is terrible.

So many factors affect taste and scents (which are intertwined); assuming all other variables are constant (your juice, coils, mod, temp) changes in flavor throughout a day is most likely due to perceptual processes.
  • Response saliency - If you are speeding, you will be able to detect a 'smokey' on the highway since you want to avoid a speeding ticket. Same applies to taste/ smell ... certain stimuli, specific to your environment, affects your response saliency.
  • Satiation effects - this is somewhat analogous to 'vapor tongue'; your sensors, nerves and brain will no longer discriminate a particular flavor until receptor chemicals, associated with a particular pathway, fade and reset.
  • Associative conditioning - whatever you associate throughout the day with a specific taste/ smell affects the intensity of a particular flavor.
Last but not the least, there are random quantum forces that affect taste/ smell. Depending on your daily schedule and environment affecting molecules in your immediate space, the harmonics of flavor molecules could be altered throughout the day.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/study-bolsters-quantum-vibration-scent-theory/

Slots

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
what's vapors tongue?
It's losing the taste/flavor of your juice

As long as you are switching flavors throughout the day, you don't have to worry about it.
I have 4 different mods going with 4 different flavors and I only use one for about 5 minutes before I grab a different one.

What happens is the "flavor" really comes from your nose (olfactory glands).
You mouth only tastes sweet, sour etc.
Like having a cold and you can't taste the flavors.
Anyway .. using the same flavor all day gets boring to your mind, and it then shuts the flavor out, like white noise.

Have you every been in a house with an unpleasant odor? ...
Have you noticed that if you stayed there long enough, you didn't notice it anymore ??
Same thing ... brain gets bored with the same-o.. same-o and turns it off.

Some people lose it for days, some for weeks.
There are things you can do to shock the glands back into service, like taking the lid off of the coffee can, and breathing the fresh fumes of ground coffee, scrubbing you teeth and tongue, eating hot peppers, sipping pickle juice ... vapers have tried it all.

Just keep a rotation going and you'll be fine.
Variety makes for better vaping anyway.

VU Sponsors