Become a Patron!

Infinite clt v1 build

VapeMe

Member For 4 Years
I'm not really one to post on forums, I only read through them and post when I have questions that I can't/am too lazy to figure out myself. Upon building this coil setup I thought I'd post it just because I was very happy with the results.
Just a little background, skip to the next paragraph if you aren't interested. I am relatively new to rebuildables (a couple of months maybe). I started rebuilding on a tobeco plume veil clone on a dna 30 device. I was relatively unsatisfied with the vape I got off of my dna 30 and moved on to mech mods. I love the vape I get on my mechs. I usually vape between .2 and .3 ohms (I only have purple efest 2500mah "35a" (really 20a continuous discharge) 18650s and the Lg18650he2s (same thing as the efests). I still use the plume veil clone on a daily basis and I love it.
I recently purchased the infinite clt and I keep going back to the plume veil because the flavor is just so much better. Vapor production on the clt is great. Flavor on the other hand left something to be desired (IMO). So, I decided to try a build on the clt with the idea of maximizing flavor output. I tried and was pretty unimpressed with dual, and quad coil setups I had tried with 24, 26, and 28 gauge wire, Dual parallel coils, twisted 28 builds, and so on.

So onto the build:
Upon going into this build my idea was to reduce the chamber size with my build by making the coils and wicking consume a large portion of the chamber.
Coils:
I got a bit crazy with the idea and decided to build 6 coils with 26 gauge wire, centered, and stacked one above the other in a horizontal orientation. So I ended up with 6 coils, single 26 gauge Kanthal A1 round, 6 wraps for each coil around a 3/32 screwdriver. Installed them in the rda guessing leg length to be equal for all coils. I then positioned them so they weren't touching each other anywhere. I put the rda on the ohm meter, It measured .26 ohms. I then put it on a mod and test fired it. To my surprise all 6 coils heated evenly, no adjustment required. I tidied up the coils with tweezers and put it back on the ohm meter, it was now reading .22 ohms.
Wicking:
I then tucked wick (organic cotton) between the positive post and the coils, down from the top all the way down into the drip cup. I then ran wick through one top coil and passed the same wick over the positive post and through the other top coil (to make a Z shape over the positive post) trimmed wick relatively close to the end of both coils. I then wicked the next coils down in the same fashion, the only difference being that I reversed the direction I ran the wick to make a reversed Z shape over the positive post so both wicks together made an X, I trimmed fairly close to the end of the coils again. I then tucked some wicking around the bottom of the positive post under the build, in the drip cup (in a circle around the positive post). Finally, I wicked the bottom set of coils in the same way as the previous 2 sets of coils, reversing direction again back to the Z shape. I trimmed the wick ends a bit longer this time and tucked them between the positive and negative posts.
Results:
I am truly amazed at how much flavor, and vapor for that matter, I am getting out of this atty with this build. Also to my surprise, it doesn't take long to heat up either. It was not a build that was easy by any means, actually it was a pain in the arse. Certainly not gonna do a build like this too often, but I finally got decent flavor out of this rda.

874bc9bd13d185b8947aaba67d8764ff.jpg

ab76db360c3920eb6e9b6dc1235f8b4e.jpg

135921d8ad6b8a2aa750a2bd292e903c.jpg

Muertala

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Oh man that is nice I just finished doing a Dual Clapton build and the flavor and vapor is amazing. Now you are making me want to try to make this build. It looks very nice and I can just imagine the potential. My question is how much better is that build compared to a Dual Clapton 24 gauge center wire wrapped with 32 gauge and coil it 5/4 wrap at 0.2 ohms? Example below.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415152029.849064.jpg

VapeMe

Member For 4 Years
Great looking build. I actually haven't ever tried a clapton build. It's on my to-do list. I just never seem to have any small gauge wire. On the clt I think the chamber area is too large and that is why flavor seems to be muted to me. That's why I aimed to reduce the area with my build. If you are happy with the clapton build I would just stick with that, I imagine it's alot less of a headache to get in there. I think you just inspired me to order up some small wire and try the clapton coil build... I have found .2 - .3 ohm builds to be the sweet spot for me and I have read nothing but good things about the clapton coil so I imagine the build you got there would be right up my alley. I bet it would be particularly nice in my tohb or plume veil.

Muertala

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Great looking build. I actually haven't ever tried a clapton build. It's on my to-do list. I just never seem to have any small gauge wire. On the clt I think the chamber area is too large and that is why flavor seems to be muted to me. That's why I aimed to reduce the area with my build. If you are happy with the clapton build I would just stick with that, I imagine it's alot less of a headache to get in there. I think you just inspired me to order up some small wire and try the clapton coil build... I have found .2 - .3 ohm builds to be the sweet spot for me and I have read nothing but good things about the clapton coil so I imagine the build you got there would be right up my alley. I bet it would be particularly nice in my tohb or plume veil.

Thanks, I just remembered I failed to include the atty that I am using, it's a CLT v2 and I was surprised myself how strong the flavor was using that Clapton build, but your setup looks very intimidating, so I'm going to have to try it out some day.

VapeMe

Member For 4 Years
I don't have the v2. Only the v1. I like the plume veil style airflow on the v2 but the chamber size appears to be relatively large on the v2 as well... The airflow through the negative posts on the v2 may not be advantageous with a build like mine. The airflow through the negative posts would end up getting blocked with the cotton. I bet those big clapton coils with airflow coming at both sides of the coils is a great build on the v2.

Muertala

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I don't have the v2. Only the v1. I like the plume veil style airflow on the v2 but the chamber size appears to be relatively large on the v2 as well... The airflow through the negative posts on the v2 may not be advantageous with a build like mine. The airflow through the negative posts would end up getting blocked with the cotton. I bet those big clapton coils with airflow coming at both sides of the coils is a great build on the v2.

Yeah that's why I wanted to do the dual clapton because of the large airflow on both sides feeding airflow directly to the coils keeps it cool and better still creates a super dense cloud.

VapeMe

Member For 4 Years
I think you probably made a good choice on a build for the v2. The more I think about it the more I think a build like mine would just take away from the advantages of the v2. I think if I was building a v2 I would find large diameter coils, either parallel coils, twisted coils, or clapton coils like the build you have in there now to be optimal. Lots of surface area, large coils filling up the chamber, and air can still get at the back of your coils. I just ordered some 34 gauge kanthal to give the clapton coils a try. I think I'll start by trying them out in my plume veil so I get the airflow on the back of the coil as well as the front. I imagine it's going to be similar to what you're vaping on.

Muertala

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I think you probably made a good choice on a build for the v2. The more I think about it the more I think a build like mine would just take away from the advantages of the v2. I think if I was building a v2 I would find large diameter coils, either parallel coils, twisted coils, or clapton coils like the build you have in there now to be optimal. Lots of surface area, large coils filling up the chamber, and air can still get at the back of your coils. I just ordered some 34 gauge kanthal to give the clapton coils a try. I think I'll start by trying them out in my plume veil so I get the airflow on the back of the coil as well as the front. I imagine it's going to be similar to what you're vaping on.

Sweet let us know how it turns out and let me know about how it is in the plume veil I'm very curious about that, since I'm thinking the plume may be my next RBA.

VU Sponsors