Become a Patron!

Infinite stingray switch too touchy

Mykreign

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Is there anything I can do to fix this? If I even set the mod down it starts to fire. I'd also like more travel on the switch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gavlan

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
No help in the fixing dept except a slightly stronger spring maybe.
My Stingray X's throw is only about 2mm and it would be awesome if i could get a longer throw,
I'll hit the button sometimes and for a second i think iv'e locked the damn thing it's so short, but i do likes me a stingray.

Mykreign

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
No help in the fixing dept except a slightly stronger spring maybe.
My Stingray X's throw is only about 2mm and it would be awesome if i could get a longer throw,
I'll hit the button sometimes and for a second i think iv'e locked the damn thing it's so short, but i do likes me a stingray.

Sounds like that's just how the throw is on stingrays. Will definitely have to look into a new spring or magnets though.

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
The stingray has a really touchy switch and by the way it's set up i don't think there is much you can do to change it.

Since its a magnet switch with hardly any space in between unlike a spring loaded switch you are kind of stuck with it.

Mine doesn't even feel like I'm pressing anything when it fires.
I can't even feel it engaging at all.

Mykreign

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
The stingray has a really touchy switch and by the way it's set up i don't think there is much you can do to change it.

Since its a magnet switch with hardly any space in between unlike a spring loaded switch you are kind of stuck with it.

My switch just fell off when I was spinning the lock without looking. It looks like there's a spot for a pin to stop it from turning. Can you confirm this?

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
My switch just fell off when I was spinning the lock without looking. It looks like there's a spot for a pin to stop it from turning. Can you confirm this?

The lock gets caught up with the switch really easy so it's not very hard to accidentally unscrew the switch and all when trying to turn the lock.
When I spin mine the lock and switch tend to stay together.

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
My stingray has been on my rack and has not been used for a few years now.
I quit using mechs when regulated mods got up to around 120 watts because I usually stay below 120.

Mykreign

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
The lock gets caught up with the switch really easy so it's not very hard to accidentally unscrew the switch and all when trying to turn the lock.
When I spin mine the lock and switch tend to stay together.

Is there a small pin that runs vertical through the switch?

Sonar505

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Modder

First off you need to confirm what exactly you have so that people can help you. Is it a regular Stingray or is it a Stingray X because there are differences between the 2 if you were not aware.

Gavlan

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years

Don't know what i was thinking when i brought springs in the mix,,, Stingray's are Magnetic switches.
Jeez i'm pitiful at times.
sorry for the miss info .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader

No, mine has a flat head screwdriver slit across it and it's round about the size of a dime.

Gavlan

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
No, mine has a flat head screwdriver slit across it and it's round about the size of a dime.
There is a Rice pin under the big flat head screw , maybe mykreign is stalking about that little baby ,,, are you?.

gadget!

"The Trader"
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU SWAT
VU Patreon
I'm guessing this is what it looks like.
36ca8bbc95ed4af6c53ddc4d30e29bda.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Mykreign

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years

Yeah that little pin runs through it to stop it from spinning when you've adjusted it to the battery.

I went camping and was unlocking it without looking at it and the switch came apart and fell in the sand. I tried looking because I figured there had to be a pin in there but I couldn't find it.

gadget!

"The Trader"
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU SWAT
VU Patreon
Go to a hardware store and look for a "roll pin". You should be able to find one the right diameter, then just cut it to length.
I doesn't fit in there tight, just enough to keep things from turning.

Sonar505

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Modder

@Mykreign if this is the one you have then here are a few fixes you can do for it.
On the pin you can find some replacement rice pins at Fat Daddy Vapes. Or you can make your own if you have a binder clip like this upload_2017-9-3_14-42-26.jpeg Then cut one from the silver handles or cut several as can be easily lost.
If you decide to order from fat daddy then you might as well get a new set of magnets for your mod from there as well. You do not mention how old your mod is but it seems they can sometimes lose their opposing strength especially if in the past they were accidentally heated. The opposing strength determines if you can set it down with a tank on it without locking and not have it fire.
As for the throw if new magnets don't get you where you need to be. Then one thing you can try is to remove the black delrin piece and put some paper shims under it and put it back if careful you can probably add 1/2 to 1mm of additional throw.

Mykreign

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Thanks for the options guys. Not sure what I'm going to do yet but I did find a new switch online for $13.

Mykreign

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Actually the switch I found is for the stingray X so not sure if it'd fit in the older model.

I could prly make a pin at work

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
There is a Rice pin under the big flat head screw , maybe mykreign is stalking about that little baby ,,, are you?.

The "vertical through the switch" part is throwing me off.
I have 2 different ones a black with copper inside and a silver.
I am going to break them both out and see.
I can clean them and apply naolox to the threads which I usually do around once a year to keep all my mechanical mods in good shape.

Mykreign

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
The "vertical through the switch" part is throwing me off.
I have 2 different ones a black with copper inside and a silver.
I am going to break them both out and see.
I can clean them and apply naolox to the threads which I usually do around once a year to keep all my mechanical mods in good shape.

Do you have calipers or mics? If so, can you measure the length and diameter of that pin for me?

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
Ok, neither of mine have those pins inside of them. Lol
I have two nemesis clones that have them inside though so I know what you mean and why they are so important.
The mod won't work without it.

Mykreign

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Ok, neither of mine have those pins inside of them. Lol
I have two nemesis clones that have them inside though so I know what you mean and why they are so important.
The mod won't work without it.

I believe that pin is what stops the switch from spinning when you've adjusted it to your battery length.

I'm going to try and make some at work. You want me to make you a couple if I can?

gadget!

"The Trader"
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU SWAT
VU Patreon
Nice job!

Evileclipse

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I have figured out how to add more throw relatively easily. I am out for dinner, but will walk you through with pictures when I get back.

Evileclipse

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I have done a few mods to my Stingray x, and these two are something every owner show try. Both easily undone, and both changed the relationship I have with it. For the throw, I used a thicker o ring from a 510 drip tip. After taking the switch all the way apart, I put that o ring at the top of the threads of the top magnet holder. Screw that into your delrin piece, and be sure that you see a slight gap between the metal and the delrin. In my picture it's not screwed in all the way, but when it is, it does show a small gap. If done correctly, when it's back together it will have an obvious difference in throw available. If not, try a thicker o ring or even a second one. This has worked more than perfect for me, with only one downfall; the mod now exhibits more lean when standing without the locking ring engaged. A few people have pointed it out and I always tell them that my mod just has a gangsta lean. I also don't have to worry about an autofire from the weight anymore, but I have done other mods to it, so I can't be positive this was the fix.
The other mod is something I can't put enough emphasis on. If you haven't done it yet, do it right now. Like, stop eating dinner and get it done! I hated this mod because of the janky feel of the switch. Literally reminded me of chewing broken glass, and other non vapers could even hear that it didn't sound right, and rattled like a windchime. Take a pencil and completely coat that tiny rice pin, the groove that the pin sits in, the whole collar that the groove is on, and the inside of the sliding copper piece that fits over it. Pictured for clarity. I thought it sounded ridiculous at first, but it is like a dream come true! It went from a mod that I wouldn't recommend to an enemy, to a really good backup mod. No more potato chips when I press the switch and it doesn't sound like it's falling apart. Both are free and easily reversed too.

Mykreign

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I have done a few mods to my Stingray x, and these two are something every owner show try. Both easily undone, and both changed the relationship I have with it. For the throw, I used a thicker o ring from a 510 drip tip. After taking the switch all the way apart, I put that o ring at the top of the threads of the top magnet holder. Screw that into your delrin piece, and be sure that you see a slight gap between the metal and the delrin. In my picture it's not screwed in all the way, but when it is, it does show a small gap. If done correctly, when it's back together it will have an obvious difference in throw available. If not, try a thicker o ring or even a second one. This has worked more than perfect for me, with only one downfall; the mod now exhibits more lean when standing without the locking ring engaged. A few people have pointed it out and I always tell them that my mod just has a gangsta lean. I also don't have to worry about an autofire from the weight anymore, but I have done other mods to it, so I can't be positive this was the fix.
The other mod is something I can't put enough emphasis on. If you haven't done it yet, do it right now. Like, stop eating dinner and get it done! I hated this mod because of the janky feel of the switch. Literally reminded me of chewing broken glass, and other non vapers could even hear that it didn't sound right, and rattled like a windchime. Take a pencil and completely coat that tiny rice pin, the groove that the pin sits in, the whole collar that the groove is on, and the inside of the sliding copper piece that fits over it. Pictured for clarity. I thought it sounded ridiculous at first, but it is like a dream come true! It went from a mod that I wouldn't recommend to an enemy, to a really good backup mod. No more potato chips when I press the switch and it doesn't sound like it's falling apart. Both are free and easily reversed too.

Thank you! It's way to early to try and comprehend that. I'll get back with you tonight after work lol

Gavlan

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
yer i was thinking the same thing,,,,,,,,,
Thank you! It's way to early to try and comprehend that. I'll get back with you tonight after work lol

YUP i was thinking the same thing,, way too early for me to think...

Mykreign

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
yer i was thinking the same thing,,,,,,,,,

YUP i was thinking the same thing,, way too early for me to think...

Haha getting some coffee in me now. I'll be good soon

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
I'm back in action. Made some out of M2 steel lol. @5150sick you want a couple?
ed89e7cb2a176d419fa810c5644aad83.jpg

They look really nice.
I don't need any though.
You can afford to even drop a few of them now.
I didn't even think it through but I bet a piece of 20ga wire would work too.
Even if you had to stick two or three pieces in the hole.

Mykreign

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
They look really nice.
I don't need any though.
You can afford to even drop a few of them now.
I didn't even think it through but I bet a piece of 20ga wire would work too.
Even if you had to stick two or three pieces in the hole.

The pin is about Ø2mm x 5.3mm or Ø.078in x .209in if you can find anything around there

Edit: my pins must be larger in diameter than the stock because I don't have any rattle anymore

Last edited:

Gavlan

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
The pin is about Ø2mm x 5.3mm or Ø.078in x .209in if you can find anything around there

Edit: my pins must be larger in diameter than the stock because I don't have any rattle anymore

Dammit !!! now i'm gonna have to measure my rice pin ,,,,,,, just for the heck of it. :bliss:

Gavlan

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Haha! Do it! I'm curious

Finally got around to it.
so , in inches 0.077" x 0.244" .
thats very close to what you have ,( now i know who has extra rice pins lol.).
This is out of an authentic stingray x.
good job Mykreign.

Mykreign

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
good job Mykreign.

Thanks! If you ever need one hit me up. I'd be happy to help

Mykreign

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
good job Mykreign.

Oh and if u ever wanna get rid of the stingray x, u can get a hold of me too lol

VU Sponsors