Become a Patron!

Inflamed Tonsils?!

Alrighty, so I figured I would find a vaping forum and ask people who really know about this stuff. I "slipped" and ended up buying a pack of marbs. SO after about half a pack I was like, I'm not doing this again and picked up a juul. After about a week of using the juul (fairly heavily) my tonsils started to flare up something fierce, to the point where I had to stop vaping all together. I tried the whole myblue pod thing as well and that didn't help anything. However, idk if switching to the blue was irritating because of still being inflamed from the juul or that liquid also was causing a reaction.

I don't know if it's an allergic reaction to the PG? Has anyone had negative reactions to just one type of eliquid? Do you think another brand would be better? I bought a kandypen refillable rubi and some ejuice but I'm a bit afraid it will just do the same thing as the juul ... maybe I should just try 100% VG?

Anyway, I don't mean to drone on about it but if anyone has had similar experiences or has heard of something like this and has some input feel free to lmk.

Thanks!

f1r3b1rd

https://cookingwithlegs.com/
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Welcome to the vu,..

some of us have had some reactions to certain juices or components of juices.
For me it’s VG. If I vape max vg or 80+ vg I get a tight chest. Therefore I mix my juice at 70 or under vg.

I’ve not heard of the tonsils thing, but it could be a sore throat from to heavy a nic or the nic salt.

You may want to look into a starter kit with tank. That way you can try different juices and nic strengths to see what works for you.

Welcome to the vu,..

some of us have had some reactions to certain juices or components of juices.
For me it’s VG. If I vape max vg or 80+ vg I get a tight chest. Therefore I mix my juice at 70 or under vg.

I’ve not heard of the tonsils thing, but it could be a sore throat from to heavy a nic or the nic salt.

You may want to look into a starter kit with tank. That way you can try different juices and nic strengths to see what works for you.

Well it's good to know people have had reactions to particular eliquids or components in liquids. So maybe if I switch things up a bit I might figure out what it is that's messing w. me or find one that doesn't cause the weird inflammation. I actually think I have a mod somewhere but the tank broke. I could find a replacement for it and try it out. I also have that refillable pod system showing up Monday. All of the eliquid I've been using so far is salts so maybe that's the problem. Hmm all good info tho thanks for the reply!

f1r3b1rd

https://cookingwithlegs.com/
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Well it's good to know people have had reactions to particular eliquids or components in liquids. So maybe if I switch things up a bit I might figure out what it is that's messing w. me or find one that doesn't cause the weird inflammation. I actually think I have a mod somewhere but the tank broke. I could find a replacement for it and try it out. I also have that refillable pod system showing up Monday. All of the eliquid I've been using so far is salts so maybe that's the problem. Hmm all good info tho thanks for the reply!
No worries and best of luck..
I used to like going to shops to try juice. The best thing when starting out is tank that vapes the style you like and juice that you find satisfying.
Good luck on your search

No worries and best of luck..
I used to like going to shops to try juice. The best thing when starting out is tank that vapes the style you like and juice that you find satisfying.
Good luck on your search

Thanks! Maybe if I ever figure out exactly what was causing it I'll come back and post an update :)

Countrypami

The Link Ninja
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Vendor Employee
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Live Host
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
To me is sounds like a harsh nic and high PG. Some folks are allergic to PG, but high nic has been known to cause this sensation. Try a different brand/flavor and see if you have the same reaction. I would also recommend trying a device that doesn't use the salt nics. It could be the high concentration in the salt nic doing it as well.

To me is sounds like a harsh nic and high PG. Some folks are allergic to PG, but high nic has been known to cause this sensation. Try a different brand/flavor and see if you have the same reaction. I would also recommend trying a device that doesn't use the salt nics. It could be the high concentration in the salt nic doing it as well.

So, before this started happening w. juul I had ordered 2 different eliquids. Neither of which I've had a chance to try yet. Both were slats because they seem to satisfy really well but I will try the non-salt versions. Problem is, all this eliquid is getting expensive lol Is 40mg salt considered high? Sorry, I don't know anything about mg rating / strength rating from salt vs non salt milligram vs percentage.

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
Alrighty, so I figured I would find a vaping forum and ask people who really know about this stuff. I "slipped" and ended up buying a pack of marbs. SO after about half a pack I was like, I'm not doing this again and picked up a juul. After about a week of using the juul (fairly heavily) my tonsils started to flare up something fierce, to the point where I had to stop vaping all together. I tried the whole myblue pod thing as well and that didn't help anything. However, idk if switching to the blue was irritating because of still being inflamed from the juul or that liquid also was causing a reaction.

I don't know if it's an allergic reaction to the PG? Has anyone had negative reactions to just one type of eliquid? Do you think another brand would be better? I bought a kandypen refillable rubi and some ejuice but I'm a bit afraid it will just do the same thing as the juul ... maybe I should just try 100% VG?

Anyway, I don't mean to drone on about it but if anyone has had similar experiences or has heard of something like this and has some input feel free to lmk.

Thanks!

I would love to have a little more information if possible.

When you say you slipped and bought a pack of cigs and smoked about 10 correct?
So, before you slipped were you vaping and if so what brand, flavor, and nicotine level were you using?

Also, is it your tonsils or this little thing that hangs in the center of your throat?:
upload_2019-8-10_23-34-22.png

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
So, before this started happening w. juul I had ordered 2 different eliquids. Neither of which I've had a chance to try yet. Both were slats because they seem to satisfy really well but I will try the non-salt versions. Problem is, all this eliquid is getting expensive lol Is 40mg salt considered high? Sorry, I don't know anything about mg rating / strength rating from salt vs non salt milligram vs percentage.

40 is on the low end of high.
Nic salts generally come in strengths from 25 to 35 and 40 to 50+

I would love to have a little more information if possible.

When you say you slipped and bought a pack of cigs and smoked about 10 correct?
So, before you slipped were you vaping and if so what brand, flavor, and nicotine level were you using?

Also, is it your tonsils or this little thing that hangs in the center of your throat?:
View attachment 144064

I was not vaping at all before I bought the pack. I probably had about 7 or 8 of marb lights (I smoked reds for 8 years but managed to quit about 5 years ago cold turkey. Something happened which drove me back) then I got the juul 5% virgina and went through 2 or 3 pods over a week and a half. Definitely tonsils

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
It could be related to the smoking
It could be related to the vaping
Or it could be something totally unrelated.

You took smoking out of the equation so that's out of the way.

The reason the juul works so well in because of the nicotine salt eliquid.
It may even be that.

If you are planning on buying a new device i'd suggest one that will work with both nic salts and regular eliquid just in case.
Maybe a refillable pod device that has multiple power settings.

Are the tonsils getting better at all?

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years

Thanks!
When I switched to vaping over 4 years ago from 40 yrs of smoking, I quickly discovered that ingredients in MOST commercial ejuice cause me serious issues if I vaped over a few ml's of it.
Oral inflammation, throat and even lung irritation and complete loss of taste.
This took around 2 days to go away.
I found 1 cheap tobacco ejuice I could vape otherwise I would have given up on vaping and gone back to smoking.
And likely would have been outspoken against vaping.
I found that most ejuice that had no artificial ingredients I could vape.
I switched to DIY very quickly and at first used all natural flavorings like from flavorconcentrates.com
I also tried other non all natural flavorings and found an early warning sign for the problematic flavorings.
If after a few draws my lips tingle? Throw it out.
I have been vaping a vanilla custard of my own design for the past few year along with a tobacco I make up and sometime some natural strawberry.
Out of 120 or so flavorings I tried I tossed or gave away 80% or so.

I suspect that whatever the ingredient is also causes vapers tongue in those just slightly allergic to whatever chemical it is.

Oh and artificial fruit flavorings are the worst for me.

I have chatted with a handful of people with similar issues over the past few years so I am by no means alone in this allergy? thing.

Ohh and btw I have no other allergies. Heck I am not even allergic to poison ivy.
And bee stings hurt, make a bump and itch for a day.

It could be related to the smoking
It could be related to the vaping
Or it could be something totally unrelated.

You took smoking out of the equation so that's out of the way.

The reason the juul works so well in because of the nicotine salt eliquid.
It may even be that.

If you are planning on buying a new device i'd suggest one that will work with both nic salts and regular eliquid just in case.
Maybe a refillable pod device that has multiple power settings.

Are the tonsils getting better at all?

I have a kandypen rubi on the way which is a refillable pod system. Problem is, the two eliquids I purchased are both nic salts and I'm a bit worried that's the problem. I haven't vaped at all for 48 hours and the swelling does seem to have gone down significantly.

When I switched to vaping over 4 years ago from 40 yrs of smoking, I quickly discovered that ingredients in MOST commercial ejuice cause me serious issues if I vaped over a few ml's of it.
Oral inflammation, throat and even lung irritation and complete loss of taste.
This took around 2 days to go away.
I found 1 cheap tobacco ejuice I could vape otherwise I would have given up on vaping and gone back to smoking.
And likely would have been outspoken against vaping.
I found that most ejuice that had no artificial ingredients I could vape.
I switched to DIY very quickly and at first used all natural flavorings like from flavorconcentrates.com
I also tried other non all natural flavorings and found an early warning sign for the problematic flavorings.
If after a few draws my lips tingle? Throw it out.
I have been vaping a vanilla custard of my own design for the past few year along with a tobacco I make up and sometime some natural strawberry.
Out of 120 or so flavorings I tried I tossed or gave away 80% or so.

I suspect that whatever the ingredient is also causes vapers tongue in those just slightly allergic to whatever chemical it is.

Oh and artificial fruit flavorings are the worst for me.

I have chatted with a handful of people with similar issues over the past few years so I am by no means alone in this allergy? thing.

Ohh and btw I have no other allergies. Heck I am not even allergic to poison ivy.
And bee stings hurt, make a bump and itch for a day.

Interesting to hear from someone with a similar experience! For me it's not worth mixing my own juice, however. I'd rather just quit all together if that's what it takes. Probably better not to anyway. And for me it did get a lot worse when I started vaping heavily, so I'm sure that has something to do with it. I'll give these two eliquids I got a try and maybe try to find one that isn't too artificial and isn't a salt next. But if it keeps giving me issues I'll just drop it. It's cool you found a flavor and mix that works for you though, that custard sounds delicious!

Artemis

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Back in 2011 I vaped regular nic at 36mg/mL. I tried vaping a fruit flavor and ended up with blisters in the back of my throat. My dentist thought I had cancer. The ohms of the coil was 0.5ohms. High nic and fruit flavors and low ohms cause mouth irritation for me.

I recently purchased nicsalt and mix my own liquid. Its not the flavorings but the nic salt will dry out my throat. I'm also noticing a increase in coughing as well. I'm doing a 5mg/mL mix. I won't go any higher on the nicsalt because it is a throat irritant for me.

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
If you are planning on continuing vaping in the future you may want to try regular eliquid to see if that is the problem.
The bad part about that is unless you can really get used to it high nicotine will be harsh.
There are some vendors that sell regular eliquid in 12mg/ml but many only go up to 6mg/ml

That isn't going to help you now though.
What are the brands of the other two eliquids and what are the nicotine levels?

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
I'll give these two eliquids I got a try and maybe try to find one that isn't too artificial and isn't a salt next. But if it keeps giving me issues I'll just drop it.

Could you please update us if you figure out the problem?

If you are planning on continuing vaping in the future you may want to try regular eliquid to see if that is the problem.
The bad part about that is unless you can really get used to it high nicotine will be harsh.
There are some vendors that sell regular eliquid in 12mg/ml but many only go up to 6mg/ml

That isn't going to help you now though.
What are the brands of the other two eliquids and what are the nicotine levels?

Let's see I picked up the following:

Milkman vanilla pudding & lemon: 40mg
BLVK Unicorn caramel tobacco 50mg

both are 60VG/40PG cuz that's what's in juul pods and I liked that mix. Both are also salts (again trying to mimic the juul eliquid) Obviously I like nicotine lol and would rather vape than not so if I can find a way to make it work that would be great. But if I can't, not the end of the world. I think I might pick up a regular one that's not a salt and that has a bit lower nicotine (problem w. lower nic liquids is I have to vape forever to get a fix) and maybe one that's 100% VG cuz I've heard some people can react negatively to it.

Could you please update us if you figure out the problem?

Yeah, if I figure out what the deal is I'll definitely come back and let ppl know. For now the plan is trying out these two liquids w. the new system and if they both cause problems maybe I'll pick up something else? We'll see but either way I'll come back and update this thread

Back in 2011 I vaped regular nic at 36mg/mL. I tried vaping a fruit flavor and ended up with blisters in the back of my throat. My dentist thought I had cancer. The ohms of the coil was 0.5ohms. High nic and fruit flavors and low ohms cause mouth irritation for me.

I recently purchased nicsalt and mix my own liquid. Its not the flavorings but the nic salt will dry out my throat. I'm also noticing a increase in coughing as well. I'm doing a 5mg/mL mix. I won't go any higher on the nicsalt because it is a throat irritant for me.

Yeah, a lot of people so far have said the nic content on what I've been vaping could be the culprit. I'll find a lower end juice at some point here.

KingPin!

In my defence, I was left unsupervised ^^
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Haven’t seen it mentioned so far so over an above all that ...keeping general cleaning and hygiene is good practice ...cleaning drip tips regularly, not sharing with others, washing hands before cleaning the product, washing old e-juice away from the cap etc etc

Tonsillitis
itself isn't contagious, but the infections that cause it are. ... When an infected person coughs or sneezes, the virus is contained in the millions of tiny droplets that come out of their nose and mouth. You can become infected by breathing in the contaminated droplets. This is known as direct contact.

Haven’t seen it mentioned so far so over an above all that ...keeping general cleaning and hygiene is good practice ...cleaning drip tips regularly, not sharing with others, washing hands before cleaning the product, washing old e-juice away from the cap etc etc

Tonsillitis
itself isn't contagious, but the infections that cause it are. ... When an infected person coughs or sneezes, the virus is contained in the millions of tiny droplets that come out of their nose and mouth. You can become infected by breathing in the contaminated droplets. This is known as direct contact.
That's totally plausible, I do work around sick people a lot. I rarely get sick due to the exposure causing a pretty robust immune system over the years. I wonder about the corrolation of discontinuing use of the juul with the decrease in inflammation, however. Could be completely coincidental, which would be great!

Last edited:
Update for those who are interested. The swelling has gone down almost completely, I tried the Rubi with some Milkman vanilla pudding and lemon 40mg salt. I only just tried it so maybe time will tell but at the moment, no flare up. Also, I don't feel hardly any throat hit .. is that normal with a 40mg salt? Does PG/VG ratio effect throat hit too? :huh:

p.s. for those wondering I'm quite enjoying the vanilla pudding and lemon. Tis tasty lol

Last edited:

VU Sponsors