Become a Patron!

Insulating a box mod?

Adam Ortell

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I am building an unregulated dual 18650 box mod and 26650 version the boxes I am using are milled aluminum custom boxes. They are on Amazon by alpine tech. Anyway they are bare aluminum and I want to insulate the inside. All that bare metal makes me nervous even though I am using insulated wire. I am a it OCD. I am wanting to coat the inside with something like rubberized undercoating. Just wondering what everyone's take on that is. Also I am still trying to figure out the wire. I have read people saying to use solid copper some say stranded and the gauge I want use the thickest possible. I am thinking 16 or 18 I read on. Another forum some one swearing by 32 that Is way to thin is it not? Thanks.

State O' Flux

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Insulation: You can buy "plasti-dip" and rubber dip (which can also be brushed and sprayed on) through a variety of interweb sources... and some box hardware stores carry it as well.

Wire gauge: Easiest way is to look up the continuous amperage load capacity for a particular gauge and type. Current path load capacity is everything in a semi mech mod.

Adam Ortell

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I was thing about that 3M stuff you buy at autozone just tape off the outside and spray the inside. Thanks for the links

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Solid copper wire. As long as your battery sleds are non conductive, you are ok.

Robert B

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I built one using the same cnc'd box. I used 14g solid copper for neg going into mosfet, solid for positive, and 16g stranded for everything else. Didn't insulate anything

Adam Ortell

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Which one do you have. I have 4.4 * 2.4 * 1.2 this will be my 26650 and the 4.06 * 2.05 * 1.06 and that will be my 18650. I have not gotten the 26650 sled yet the 18650 sled bearly fits in the smaller box I will have to use a tactile button And trim the sides of the sled just to make everything fit. Could you please post some pics I would love to see how you did it thanks .

Robert B

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have what they call the G+ box. Slightly larger than the G box. I used a LED lighted switch, but it was a royal pain in the ass to wire in a cramped area. My next boxes will be regular switches.
This one is 4x2x1

boxMod.jpg

These are 4x2x1 boxes also. Building 2 black ones and two more silver. Using low profile FD 510's for these.

boxmod2.jpg

Last edited:

Robert B

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
One thing you can do to make more space is drill out the corner so the sled fits snug in the corner and up against the side. You will only have 3 magnet points, but that is plenty strong.

boxmod3.jpg

BoomStick

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I would want heat dissapation, not insulation. Many mods, including all tube mechs, use the housing as a path for current with no ill effects. If you build it right there is no reason to insulate the housing. Just my opinion. Good luck.

VU Sponsors