Become a Patron!

Interesting concept.

Brent1670

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
So I tinker with a lot of different things and ad such have some pretty interesting tools lying around. Has anyone ever thought of taking two plain mods doing some measurements on length and battery length then chopping the mods and welding them together? Same concept as a box mod but in mech form. Obviously it would be significantly longer and more cumbersome but would it be possible? Anyone have any ideas how the batteries would react?

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
One would need something that I do not have.

Opposable Thumbs.

Brent1670

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
something like this?

Nah man I mean one on top of the other cut the top off one and the bottom off another, weld them together so that the batteries sit on top of each other not side by side

Brent1670

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
no, but I have three nemesis and with all the extra tubes, i can fit another battery in it.

I got the idea in a different thread when I found out my batteries probably couldn't handle some of the crazier things I've been attempting (ohms meter was supposed to get here yesterday but got pushed to Thursday...) so with two batteries the draw would be less and I could build to my little hearts content. Same concept as a box but I get to keep the mech feel

Gecko

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
The batteries on top of each other is called stacking. It raises the voltage, not the amps limit. What you need is two batteries in parallel.

Eric DeCastro

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I got the idea in a different thread when I found out my batteries probably couldn't handle some of the crazier things I've been attempting (ohms meter was supposed to get here yesterday but got pushed to Thursday...) so with two batteries the draw would be less and I could build to my little hearts content. Same concept as a box but I get to keep the mech feel
then no, batteries in series only double the voltage and not the current so you would still be in the same limitations of a single cell current wise. you need to have your batteries in parallel and they make box mods for that configuration.

bluraff3

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
with higher voltage you can hit higher wattage with less amp draw. Although i understand there are some serious safety concerns with stacking in a mech.

Gecko

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Bah. Safety concerns. As far as I'm concerned it's safer than a single battery. I have a double stacked 26650 Congestus, and a Nico Vapor Vapor Giant that is triple stacked 26650. I regularly run them sub ohm.

D

Donald Bickers

Bah. Safety concerns. As far as I'm concerned it's safer than a single battery. I have a double stacked 26650 Congestus, and a Nico Vapor Vapor Giant that is triple stacked 26650. I regularly run them sub ohm.
I aint real pretty but I like my face the way it is,,,,,
my thoughts on stacking batteries in a mechdislike-button.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Gecko

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
State an actual reason, with facts that explains how it's less safe than a single battery.

You take two brand new batteries. Marry them. Use them together, charge them together. NEVER SEPERATE THEM. And they will act as one 8.4V battery.

Last edited:

Eric DeCastro

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I don't see anything wrong with stacking batteries. the wire that you made into a coil shape doesn't care if you put 100VDC on it.

Brent1670

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
hmmm... it seems that there are differing opinions on this matter. youtube and google here i come. going to see if i can find any info on someone else trying this and seeing what the outcome for them was. on a side note i brought this up at work with some of the vapers there and the one guy decided to follow along with my idea but call me an idea at the same time... i can stop at my local hardware store and by a length of pipe in the right size and thread it myself as compared to ruining two perfectly good mechs... *facepalm* why didnt i think of that?

Gecko

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Just buy a mod that's meant to run two batteries stacked?

bluraff3

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
It's my understanding that when you run batteries in series, there is a chance that the amperage will not be drawn evenly from each battery, so you increase the risk of drawing too much current from a cell and therefore potentially damaging the battery and/or yourself. I have never been given a clear explanation on the matter, so I'm not entirely sure how it works, but it stands to reason that if you understand the principles in play, you can still build your atty safely just as you would for a single cell mod. Now, what those principles are is where I would love more information. I would imagine that you still want to build based on the amp limit of the cells that your using (obviously accounting for the increased voltage), but I could be wrong here...like maybe you divide the limit by 2 or something. If I have time, I'll try to break out the old circuitry textbook this weekend and see if there's anything in there that might clear things up.

Gecko

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
The battery closest to the atomizer has slightly more stress placed upon it. So long as you change which battery is on top every day you will be fine. It only becomes a problem of the added stress causes one battery to degrade more over a period of time. I mark mine "1" and "2" and switch them every day.

VU Sponsors