Become a Patron!

Intro / Questions

Steve-M

Member For 1 Year
Hi all,

I'm relatively new to the whole vaping business. I quit smoking about 5 months ago, and switched to a Suorin Drop. From there, I upgraded to a Vaporesso Veco One Plus, and now to a Tarot Nano, though still using the larger tank from the One Plus (2mL isn't going to cut it).

With variable power and a little more power on tap, and a variety of tanks available to purchase, I've got a few questions.

1. Right now I'm using a 0.5 ohm ceramic EUC coil rated for 25-35 watts. I understand it's probably not recommended to exceed the 35W figure, but how much trouble am I asking for if I bumped it up to 40-45W? 35W does a decent enough job for the most part, and backing it down to 32.5W doesn't seem to hurt flavor/cloud production materially. OTOH, 40-45W gives a bit more flavor and warmth. If it's just a matter of cutting coil life a bit, I can live with that. If it's going to potentially lead to bigger problems, I'll just make sure to go for a higher wattage coil next time.

2. I'm contemplating moving up to one of the smaller Cascade tanks. The smallest unit should fit the Nano a bit better than my current tank while still having 3.5mL capacity, and the higher power GT coils look interesting (the EUCs seem to max out around 55W). Any thoughts on how much (if any) better the GT coils are than the EUCs with respect to flavor, cloud production, and lifespan? I'm also open to other brands if they're as simple to use / maintain as the Vaporesso gear. I appreciate how simple it is to break down the Veco tanks for cleaning, replace coils, etc.

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Hi all,

I'm relatively new to the whole vaping business. I quit smoking about 5 months ago, and switched to a Suorin Drop. From there, I upgraded to a Vaporesso Veco One Plus, and now to a Tarot Nano, though still using the larger tank from the One Plus (2mL isn't going to cut it).

With variable power and a little more power on tap, and a variety of tanks available to purchase, I've got a few questions.

1. Right now I'm using a 0.5 ohm ceramic EUC coil rated for 25-35 watts. I understand it's probably not recommended to exceed the 35W figure, but how much trouble am I asking for if I bumped it up to 40-45W? 35W does a decent enough job for the most part, and backing it down to 32.5W doesn't seem to hurt flavor/cloud production materially. OTOH, 40-45W gives a bit more flavor and warmth. If it's just a matter of cutting coil life a bit, I can live with that. If it's going to potentially lead to bigger problems, I'll just make sure to go for a higher wattage coil next time.

2. I'm contemplating moving up to one of the smaller Cascade tanks. The smallest unit should fit the Nano a bit better than my current tank while still having 3.5mL capacity, and the higher power GT coils look interesting (the EUCs seem to max out around 55W). Any thoughts on how much (if any) better the GT coils are than the EUCs with respect to flavor, cloud production, and lifespan? I'm also open to other brands if they're as simple to use / maintain as the Vaporesso gear. I appreciate how simple it is to break down the Veco tanks for cleaning, replace coils, etc.

The main issue will be possibly burning the wick if you go to higher wattage; only your tastebuds can tell, about that. Just go up in very small increments; if it starts to taste funky AT ALL, turn it back down to the last decent taste you got. You're right that it will use up the coil faster at higher wattage, but if you aren't burning the wick, then it's really just up to your tastebuds. The entire matter will depend a lot on the PG/VG ratio of the ejuice you use; higher VG is thicker so doesn't wick as well, leading to "dry hits" which taste burnt and nasty.

Welcome to VU!!

Andria

KingPin!

In my defence, I was left unsupervised ^^
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Some coils are underrated as well, the guide on the coil is just that thier recommended range as Andria said bump in small increments you’ll soon know if it’s burning the wick :)

if you wack it up too much at the start it’ll burn the coil out and that’ll be that ..it’ll taste crap forever and will need swapping out

always break in a coil at lower wattage and work up to your target setting in stages it’ll last longer for then

Steve-M

Member For 1 Year
Thanks for the input and the welcome Andria!

I'm assuming that the wick primarily being porous ceramic sort of helps avoid the issue of burning a little (there is some cotton, but AFAIK it's purpose is to form a gasket with the metal housing of the coil). Either way, it tastes pretty good for now with the 45W setting. Using 70/30 mixtures currently, and I vape primarily clear fruit/menthol blends (Ice Cold Fizzy Lemonade by Glas, KOLD Orange, etc. Seems to help extend coil life over sweeter/dark colored liquids in my limited experience.

Steve-M

Member For 1 Year
Thanks for the advice KingPin!

Edit: Regarding being under-rated, that's possible too. The 0.5 ohm EUC ceramic is rated at 25-35, but the 0.6 ohm EUC ceramic is rated up to 55W.

f1r3b1rd

https://cookingwithlegs.com/
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Welcome ...
when changing to a different coil system; pay attempting to your pg/vg ratio.
As Andrea said the higher the vg the thicker the juice and harder for it wick... but that goes the other way also. The higher the pg the thinner the juice and in some instances can be prone to leaking. At least as is the case with some of the newer higher wattage intended systems.

As to wattage adjustments, i usually tell people to start BELOW the lowest recommendation on the coil and go from there. If the coil says between 40-60w I would start around 30 and bump up from there until you’re happy. The less power you push through it, the more longevity you’ll get out of your coil.

Steve-M

Member For 1 Year
Well, I decided to give it a shot, and picked up a Cascade Baby tank. Using the GT mesh coil that came pre-installed, I'm able to get my desired results at the lower end of its power range (55W; rated 50-90W). Only real downsides thus far is that it does use up the battery more quickly and it eats up the juice, neither of which were unexpected. Hopefully the coil life is decent.

Steve-M

Member For 1 Year
An update...

I picked up a bunch of GT CCELL2 coils (0.3 ohm, 35-40W rated), and they seem to have the flavor/heat I'm looking for without being murder on the battery the same way the 0.18 ohm mesh coil was (pretty comparable to the 0.5 ohm EUC coils I was using from the battery drain I observed).

Anyway, I decided to move the Tarot Nano into backup status, as its nominally 2500mAh battery doesn't even get close giving me an all day charge (whereas the 3300mAh battery on my old Veco Plus did with power to spare). Judging by the differences in nominal energy storage alone, that shouldn't be the case, but going through Mooch's list of tests, it seems like batteries can be grossly overrated as well.

I've now picked up an Armour Pro, which largely equals the Nano for portability for my purposes, and am looking at various 21700 batteries (settled on either the Golisi S35, iJoy 40A, or Samsung 40T). Unfortunately the vape shop I frequent only had one 21700 battery to select from, and it was a high CDR / low storage model, so I opted for a HohmLife battery (which tested respectably, if not super-duper awesome) in the interim.

red99ryder

Member For 1 Year
An update...

I picked up a bunch of GT CCELL2 coils (0.3 ohm, 35-40W rated), and they seem to have the flavor/heat I'm looking for without being murder on the battery the same way the 0.18 ohm mesh coil was (pretty comparable to the 0.5 ohm EUC coils I was using from the battery drain I observed).

Anyway, I decided to move the Tarot Nano into backup status, as its nominally 2500mAh battery doesn't even get close giving me an all day charge (whereas the 3300mAh battery on my old Veco Plus did with power to spare). Judging by the differences in nominal energy storage alone, that shouldn't be the case, but going through Mooch's list of tests, it seems like batteries can be grossly overrated as well.

I've now picked up an Armour Pro, which largely equals the Nano for portability for my purposes, and am looking at various 21700 batteries (settled on either the Golisi S35, iJoy 40A, or Samsung 40T). Unfortunately the vape shop I frequent only had one 21700 battery to select from, and it was a high CDR / low storage model, so I opted for a HohmLife battery (which tested respectably, if not super-duper awesome) in the interim.

I Have been using the ccell2 as well , I like the flavor i get from it . It does seem to draw harder than the other coils i have used . I think i vape too fast and burn the cotton in other coils . I have been using the Revenger Mini , have not chased new mods yet . i have been thinking on a rebuildabe coil tank or maybe even a squonker system .. just looking for the perfect coil system i guess .

good luck

VU Sponsors