Become a Patron!

Intro & Vaping Settings Query

Hi, I discovered this forum yesterday and joined today. I've been smoking analogs for around 30 years and remember trying an early e-cig (is that the correct terminology?) a few years back but not liking it at all and never bothering looking into it again.

A couple of weeks back I saw a guy in Dublin puffing on what looked like an electronic box and producing big clouds of smoke. Curiosity got the better of me so I went up to him and asked what he was smoking on and he explained everything about his personal vaper and how he hadn't smoked a normal cigarette for 9 months since he started vaping. When I got back home I started doing a bit of research on the net and decided to give it a try.

I wanted something of good quality, easy to use and safe so I went for a Provari 3 from a company called Cloud9 in the UK. I wasn't sure about the whole tank system so the very helpful owner recommended an Aspire Nautilus to go with it as I explained that I wanted something simple to use.

It's been two weeks since I started vaping and I'm really glad to say that I haven't had an analog since then. My wife is really happy that I don't stink any longer and it's great to wake up without coughing first thing in the morning.

Initially I was coughing a lot when vaping as I was taking it straight down to my lungs as per a normal cigarette but I was told to take it into my mouth first and then take it down. It was difficult at first as so many years of smoking this way had become an ingrained habit but I seem to have the hang of it now!

I bought a number of samples from Cloud9 and two bottles from Mystic Juice (Apple and The Cure, both 18mg nicotine) and found the latter to be quite nice.

I also bought a bottle of something called Prime 15 from Halo that I didn't like at all. I guess I'm looking for an e-juice that will become my daily smoke so I ordered the complete sample packs from Mystic Juice, which came in 1.5 ml sizes.

On the weekend I visited a local store in London and tried a few different e-juices and really liked one called Castle Long by a company called Five Pawns. I bought a bottle and this looks like it could be my regular vape now. However, I'm going through all of my samples to at least try them.

I'm sure I've bored you enough now so I have a couple of questions.

I seem to get a very dry throat at times so could this be due to the PG content or just due to the change from analogs? Should I try a 100% VG e-juice such as the ones from Virgin Vapor?

Secondly, are there any guidelines as to what settings I should be vaping at? I've tried from 8 to 12 watts using both 1.6 and 1.8 ohms coils but am still not sure what are the optimum settings. Does it depend on the juice? Which resistance coil should I use?

Anyway, thank you for reading so far and hopefully somebody can help me out with my queries.

Celtic Fog

Tir Na Nog
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
When you first start vaping, the PG can and will dry you out, start drinking lots of water, keep a bottle with you at all times...with the tank you have, you are in the right area in watts, but yes it will vary per juice you are using. Max VG is not always the best choice for tanks, they clog the coils faster. A good portion of the throat hit comes from PG, so if you want to tone it down and see a little bit of a bigger cloud, use a juice with more VG. You will also want to change the coil in your tank one a week to once every other week. Big grats on getting off of the stinkies my friend, also, WELCOME TO THE UNDERGROUND! Keep it foggy! Good choice on the Five Pawns by the way =)

Certainly not all need steeping. I bought 7 different brands so far and did that with none without anything standing out.

I think the bottle or seller should say if any steeping is needed.

CigetteVapor

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Cheers Celtic Fog.

By the way, do all juices need to be steeped first or only certain ones?
No juices really "need" steeping or "aging" but.. Most of them will taste better with time, but they are always fine to vape right away. I never steep or age my juices, but they do taste better after a little time.

Great. Thanks for clearing that up.

I guess what's confusing is all the different things you read.

RMarcusY

☮ Ambassador ☮
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Vendor Employee
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Welcome to the vapingunderground, enjoy, learn, enter contests, ask questions ,get in on sale items,just hang out

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
And a belated welcome from me as well.

IMHO, most E-Liquids can benifit from steeping. Especially those made at the time you purchased them. Eventually you are going to end up with a flavor you hate. Put it aside somewhere cool and dark for a month or so and then try it again.

And yes, you should be drinking a lot of water.

VU Sponsors