Become a Patron!

IOGEAR GearPower Mobile Power Station USB battery pack [Review]

VUBot

Staff member
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
iogear1-600x450.jpg

Removable batteries in smartphones are becoming quite the rarity. While Apple never offered such a thing on the iPhone, it was once very common on Android devices. While some smartphones running Google's mobile operating system still have this feature, it is far less prevalent (the upcoming LG G4 is a surprising exception). Unfortunately, the battery life of these devices can be very short; making it through a full work day can be challenging. Since you cannot swap the battery, what are you supposed to do?

You need a USB battery pack . These battery boosters are all the rage nowadays; Amazon and other manufacturers are littered with them. Deciding on a model can be tough, but luckily, I discovered a winner -- the IOGEAR GearPower Mobile Power Station. It has made my Nexus 6 more usable when on the go. Battery anxiety, be gone!

Upon removing it from the packaging, I was impressed by the pretty design and small size. Its white plastic body is very Apple-esque, which I don't mind, despite using it with an Android device. Quite frankly, the appearance shouldn't make much of a difference.

What really matters are the specs and how well it works. The model I am reviewing is 12,000mAh and has two USB output ports. One port is 5V1A while the other is 5V2.1A. The former is designed for smartphones, while the latter is for tablets; the 5V2.1A port may charge certain smartphones faster though. The micro USB input port is for charging the unit itself.

Yes, you can charge two devices at once. With that said, single men and women can definitely use it as a way to meet someone -- sharing a charge is a great introduction.

Before testing it, I charged it overnight before going to sleep. It had juice from the factory, but I wanted it at full capacity for initial use. What's particularly cool is the 4 bar LED indicator, which is hidden behind the plastic body and and activated by pressing a button. When the LED light is off, it looks like there is no indicator at all. When charging, it flashes to indicate the level. It is actually a very interesting design choice.

iogear2-600x450.jpg

During the day, when my Nexus 6's battery became dangerously low, I pulled out the Mobile Power Station and connected it to the phone with a USB cable. I then pressed the only button on it, and like magic, my Nexus began charging! I am able to fully charge my Nexus 6 about three times before the Mobile Power Station needs a charge itself. With that said, I mostly use it to charge my Nexus 6 when the battery gets low -- not empty.

Not only did this keep my phone from going dead, but it increased my productivity by retaining my mobility. In other words, I was able to stay mobile rather than stationary and tethered to a random outlet. Nothing is worse than being surrounded by smelly hipsters in a coffee shop while charging your smartphone.

By keeping the IOGEAR battery pack in my bag, I can always be confident that I can stay in communication with the world. While some people will decry the need to stay connected, I reply by saying it can save your life. While that may seem extreme, consider yourself or a family member in an emergency and unable to call 911 because the phone battery is dead. By putting this in a child's backpack, spouse's car, or in a drawer at home, you may prevent a bad situation.

GMP12K_MainC.png

Also important is build quality, and the IOGEAR GearPower Capacity Mobile Power Station did not disappoint here either. While not encased in durable rubber, it proved tough when I dropped it multiple times (oops!). Forgetting it was connected, I would often get up from a table and it would crash to the ground. One time it fell from my lap when exiting a train on the Long Island Rail Road. Not only did it survive these drops, but it stayed relatively scuff free, showing only minor scratches.

Overall, the build quality, dependability and performance make it a definite recommendation. Hell, it's even attractive if that matters to you. Best of all, the 12,000mAh variant can be bought online for around $65 -- a reasonable price for piece of mind.

If you are interested in buying one, you can check it out here. Yes, it also comes in 7,000 and 10,000mAh, but if you are going to spend the money, you might as well splurge on the largest capacity, right?

4dZ_OLV0wps

Continue reading...

VU Sponsors