Become a Patron!

IPV D2 Temp settings.. Help?

Hi guys,
I'm trying to stop smoking so any or all help deeply appreciated.
Got myself an IPV D2 about a month ago but was not satisfied and went back to my 25-30 stick a day habit.

With ciggy prices going through the roof I've decided to give the vaping another try

Just got a Nautilus Aspire tank and am using the BVC Nautilus atomizers with my IPV D2.

Have been bungling around trying to find the right temp settings that can satisfy my cravings.
Seriously not happy with my current settings and have been stealing a ciggy here and there to get my fix. Am down to 5 sticks a day from my 25 a day but would appreciate any help regarding my settings.

Currently have it on 40 joules, at 400F, but keep getting a burnt taste and smell.. Have changed the atomizer after a day of usage (thought they'd last at least 4-6 days!), but getting the same results.

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Are you sure the coils you have are the Ni200 coils? The regular nautilus coils should be used in power mode, generally around 12-14 watts or so. What does the resistance say on the coils?

Are you sure the coils you have are the Ni200 coils? The regular nautilus coils should be used in power mode, generally around 12-14 watts or so. What does the resistance say on the coils?
It reads 1.6 ohms.. Wow ok, so I shouldnt even be using the temp mode?

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It reads 1.6 ohms.. Wow ok, so I shouldnt even be using the temp mode?
No - that's why your coils are burning out (you've got it set at 40 joules). Put it in power mode, start at 10 watts and go up until it tastes right (probably a max of 16 watts)!

No - that's why your coils are burning out (you've got it set at 40 joules). Put it in power mode, start at 10 watts and go up until it tastes right (probably a max of 16 watts)!
erm sorry, one more question:
So if I were to use the Vaporshark Temperature sensing coils would they work with my IPV D2 and Nautilus tank in Joule mode?

temp.PNG

Mattp169

Platinum Contributor
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
amadad is correct
temp mode is for special coils
on the D2 you can choose ni200 or ti temp modes
those refer to coisl made of Nickel (ni200) or Titanium (ti)

Those 2 types of wires are magical (not really) but the temp mode can tell how hot those wires are based on a resistance reading.

The nautilus coils are made of kanthal and are not magical. The d2 nor ANY OTHER MOD can actually figure out how hot kanthal is becuase of its properties.

SO to use your nautilus ALWAYS use it in power mode.
a 1.6 ohm coil should not use much wattage 10-15watts - 40 watts or joules as it shows in temp mode is just over powering the coil and burning your juice and wick

If you want to try out temp mode you need a new tank like a kanger subtank,crown,maganus,starre etc. Any tank that you can buy ni200 or ti coils for.

Now you dont need temp mode to enjoy your vape.
i use my d2 in power mode all the time.

amadad is correct
temp mode is for special coils
on the D2 you can choose ni200 or ti temp modes
those refer to coisl made of Nickel (ni200) or Titanium (ti)

Those 2 types of wires are magical (not really) but the temp mode can tell how hot those wires are based on a resistance reading.

The nautilus coils are made of kanthal and are not magical. The d2 nor ANY OTHER MOD can actually figure out how hot kanthal is becuase of its properties.

SO to use your nautilus ALWAYS use it in power mode.
a 1.6 ohm coil should not use much wattage 10-15watts - 40 watts or joules as it shows in temp mode is just over powering the coil and burning your juice and wick

If you want to try out temp mode you need a new tank like a kanger subtank,crown,maganus,starre etc. Any tank that you can buy ni200 or ti coils for.

Now you dont need temp mode to enjoy your vape.
i use my d2 in power mode all the time.
Ok got it.. Thanks Matt.
I shall give up this temp obsession. I guess no vape can really give the same kick as a ciggy.

Mattp169

Platinum Contributor
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
erm sorry, one more question:
So if I were to use the Vaporshark Temperature sensing coils would they work with my IPV D2 and Nautilus tank in Joule mode?

View attachment 34616
If those fit your tank you can use ni200 mode just fine

i was not aware of those coils when i posted earlier

Now if you get those be sure to understand that you must lock reistance in first
so you have to prime the coil get it all ready
attach it to the d2
and make sure the d2 and tank are at room temp. You can let it sit for about 15 minutes first to be sure
then
with the device on
press the 2 small buttons simultaneously
the screen will read something like .300 with an ohm symbol
if its not reading somewhere between .29 and .31 unscrew the tank and reattach make sure the coil is screwed in tight etc
then try the 2 buttons again
it is important that the d2 knows the resistance of that coil at room temp.
if its reading between .29 and .31 when you press the 2 buttons
go ahead and start at like 20 or 30J and 375F
and vape away
adding temp and power as you like until you find your sweet spot

also note
once you have resistance locked in
and you start vaping
the main screen will show a fluctuating resistance reading
THAT IS NORMAL
its showing the live resistance reading
as the wire heats up its resistance changes - hence how the mod knows what temp it is.

DO NOT TRY AND RELOCK resistance by pushing the 2 small buttons together again

Those are some great tips!

Thank you both, Matt and Amanda, for the time and patience.

Now to see if I can find those atomizers here in Malaysia! lol..

joeyboy

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I think I would get the hang of kanthal, how different ohm heads work with different power and go from there. Once you understand that then jump on the tc wagon. I have an ipv d2 and got the stuff for tc. I just can't do it. I wrap my own coils. Guess I like tricycles.

Learn kanthal and move from there.

skt239

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
When I first quit smoking and started vaping, I naturally was looking for the closest thing to a cig I could get. Unless I was getting a decent throat hit, I didn't feel like I was getting a satisfying vape. It took me a while to get over that and learn to enjoy vaping for the flavor / clouds and come to appreciate temp control. You might be different and enjoy a cooler vape but either way, its probably best to work your way up to temp control while you learn about and become accustomed to vaping in general. Just my opinion. Good luck and keep with it.

VU Sponsors