Become a Patron!

IPV3 150w box mod question

smacksy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Was wondering if anybody has this 150w box mod and if they really like it. Been using mechs to fire my sub ohm RDA's and I've heard this mod will do that and handle sub-tanks like the Atlantis better than my mech..at $135-$150 bucks I'd like to hear what others who own one might think before I spend that much money first...thx

freemind

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Better as in how? More watts? No I don't think so.
Ability to lower and control your watts (and lengthen battery time) sure.

smacksy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Well I don't think I'd have to build so low..for instance my .15 ohm build on my mech pulls 28A and produces 117 watts (power) at 4.2v, and battery voltage drops after a short time vaping a single 18650..with dual 18650's and the ability to crank it up to my sweet spot appeals to me..and the .5 ohm Atlantis tank is kinda lame on the mech as I have no way to crank up the power needed get the best out of my vape...but I would on a VW mod, especially this one with the 150w (7v) chip according to the rip trippers video..
Still researching it bro..no worries lol

Last edited:

nightshard

It's VG/PG not PG/VG
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years

Why don't you think so?
Firing the Atlantis (.5 ohms) on a mech (4.2V max) brings us to 35.27W and thats without calculating the mod voltage drop.

Drone

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years

Can't agree with this. Mechs are dead as far as I'm concerned. The Atlantis will perform much better on the IPV3, and will give a perfect vape until the batteries are depleted and ready to charge. The Mech will start out OK and just get weaker and weaker with every hit. If you like an inconsistent vape, I guess a mech is good for you. If you like a vape you can set perfectly and have it stay at that perfect level then I think stepping up to a good regulated mod is probably best.

And don't forget the regulated mod has many different safety protections built in... the mech has none.

Mechs are pretty, but dead.

BUDKISS

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Unlisted Vendor
i had the ipv2 and now the ipv3. I can honestly say, I love it. I did the firmware upgrade and now use a "staged heating coil" (idea created by TwistedMesses - a clapton and twisted nichrome run parrallel) on my darkhorse I love the battery life and the range of function. I can go low or high in ohms and adjust wattage accordingly. ONLY things i don't like.... the lame touch fire disconnect, the change of warranty (and Asmodus in general), and the whole charge cord fiasco. As far as having a magnet back... (which i think is a good idea) I did it myself.

smacksy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Can't agree with this. Mechs are dead as far as I'm concerned. The Atlantis will perform much better on the IPV3, and will give a perfect vape until the batteries are depleted and ready to charge. The Mech will start out OK and just get weaker and weaker with every hit. If you like an inconsistent vape, I guess a mech is good for you. If you like a vape you can set perfectly and have it stay at that perfect level then I think stepping up to a good regulated mod is probably best.

And don't forget the regulated mod has many different safety protections built in... the mech has none.

Mechs are pretty, but dead.
I don't think mechs are dead completely..its true the Atlantis will run better on the IPV3 better because we can crank up the power for that perfect vape.. Now with my 26650 mechs the .15 ohm build I use most pulls 28A and produces about 117 watts of power..and 3500 mAh let's me vape all day on a single charge with no noticeable difference in my vape getting weaker..now on my 18650 mech that's a different story..that same build does get weaker as the day goes on with only 2000 mAh...so I think mechs have their place but certainly are not dead... especially the 26650...

Drone

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I don't think mechs are dead completely..its true the Atlantis will run better on the IPV3 better because we can crank up the power for that perfect vape.. Now with my 26650 mechs the .15 ohm build I use most pulls 28A and produces about 117 watts of power..and 3500 mAh let's me vape all day on a single charge with no noticeable difference in my vape getting weaker..now on my 18650 mech that's a different story..that same build does get weaker as the day goes on with only 2000 mAh...so I think mechs have their place but certainly are not dead... especially the 26650...

Sorry, it just doesn't work like that with a mech. Yes you will get 117watts on a freshly charged 26650, but only for a very short time (and that's assuming you have no voltage drop or sag... which of course you do on a mech). You will only get 117watts at 4.2v and the battery won't maintain that voltage for long before dropping on a mech, then the wattage will just start to drop all day long and the vape will certainly decrease as a result. With a regulated mod you can maintain the same 117watts until the batteries are depleted and need a charge. And with a 2 18650 regulated mod you will typically have 5000Mah or more with decent batteries. There is really no question to me which is the better vape.

Also consider, I like the Atlantis at 25watts and there is no way to get 25watts on a mech unless that particular hit the battery happens to reach that perfect charge level for a few hits. It will just do whatever wattage the battery charge will provide. There is no way to set it the way you like it and have the perfect vape all day long. Of course, with a regulated mod you can. And don't forget the safety features of a regulated mod that a mech doesn't have.

While many still enjoy a mech, the declining sales in favor of a good regulated mod has been a big trend of 2014 and will just continue throughout the next year. This isn't because mechs aren't pretty, they just don't deliver as good vape quality overall.

smacksy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have had my ipv3 since Oct and mine is a reliable box. I also have an Atlantis and it works great on the ipv3.
Glad you posted this..I was planing on trying the Atlantis on the IPV3 when it finally gets here, as it hits pretty good on my XXIX mech...
But what watt setting is your sweet spot using this sub-tank? With what mix in your juice? This will be my first VW ever and just a little curious..thx

Drone

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Glad you posted this..I was planing on trying the Atlantis on the IPV3 when it finally gets here, as it hits pretty good on my XXIX mech...
But what watt setting is your sweet spot using this sub-tank? With what mix in your juice? This will be my first VW ever and just a little curious..thx

I think you're going to love the IPV3, great box mod at a reasonable price. I'll be anxious to hear how you like it when it arrives and you have a chance to play with it for a bit.

smacksy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I think you're going to love the IPV3, great box mod at a reasonable price. I'll be anxious to hear how you like it when it arrives and you have a chance to play with it for a bit.
I tell ya what, if I don't like it I will be pissed at myself for listening to all the hype, then bust that box mod into smithereens with one blow from my 5lb sledge ! Lol..And go back to my tried and true mechs ..I'm picky,.but I do hope I like it...

Last edited:

Drone

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
LOL.. you'll like it Smacksy, but you'll still have your mechs too. I still have plenty of mechs but TBH, I really like the power, perfect regulation, and long battery life of the IPV3 and rarely use my mechs now. I did add magnets to the battery cover just for convenience, but since I only need to charge every other day the screws were never a big deal really. Hope you get it soon.

Custom box mods and Mods available for custom painting.

Let me know

edf2a6d81fc04506690b8ff57bc40314.jpg

Drone

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
If you could do some Harley logos front and back... I'd be all over that Beast

Fictitious Character

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I run it at 30w using 80/20 vg/pg ratio and 6mg nic. Give it plenty of wicking time and priming before you fire it but I guess you already know that using one on a mech.

I am going to get me one of the Kanger subtanks in a couple weeks to compare the two.

I tell ya what, if I don't like it I will be pissed at myself for listening to all the hype, then bust that box mod into smithereens with one blow from my 5lb sledge ! Lol..And go back to my tried and true mechs ..I'm picky,.but I do hope I like it...
I hope you like it if not don't smash it just sell it and get your money back.

smacksy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I run it at 30w using 80/20 vg/pg ratio and 6mg nic. Give it plenty of wicking time and priming before you fire it but I guess you already know that using one on a mech

Thx..I hope it does hit better when I get that IPV3 box mod..
Now it's not really worth my time and effort to try to sell it if I don't like it
But I would feel better smashing it to smithereens for being so stupid buying it the first place ...lol..I just wish it will hurry up and get here so I can find out..the suspense is killing me! Lol

Last edited:

smacksy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I run it at 30w using 80/20 vg/pg ratio and 6mg nic. Give it plenty of wicking time and priming before you fire it but I guess you already know that using one on a mech.

I am going to get me one of the Kanger subtanks in a couple weeks to compare the two.

I hope you like it if not don't smash it just sell it and get your money back.
I got to try the Kanger sub-tank and the Atlantis side by side at my local vape shop..same mods (mech), same juice and I wound up buying the Atlantis..it had much better airflow and better clouds/flavor..The Kanger was like sucking on a straw in comparison ..and at 25mm it was oddball looking on a 22mm mech..just my opinion..

Fictitious Character

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Thx..I hope it does hit better when I get that IPV3 box mod..
Now it's not really worth my time and effort to try to sell it if I don't like it
But I would feel better smashing it to smithereens for being so stupid buying it the first place ...lol..I just wish it will hurry up and get here so I can find out..the suspense is killing me! Lol
Well I hope you like it. I like mine and have not had any functional issues since getting one. It produces a consistent vaping experience. If you hate it and smash it you got to post a video lol.

I got to try the Kanger sub-tank and the Atlantis side by side at my local vape shop..same mods (mech), same juice and I wound up buying the Atlantis..it had much better airflow and better clouds/flavor..The Kanger was like sucking on a straw in comparison ..and at 25mm it was oddball looking on a 22mm mech..just my opinion..
Thanks for the feedback. I have a 25 credit at one store and figure I will use it to pick up the Kanger tank for a good discount.

smacksy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Well I hope you like it. I like mine and have not had any functional issues since getting one. It produces a consistent vaping experience. If you hate it and smash it you got to post a video lol.

Thanks for the feedback. I have a 25 credit at one store and figure I will use it to pick up the Kanger tank for a good discount.
OK, I will!, lol...but I truly hope I like it..it will be my first VW mod, and my very first ever box mod...been using tube style mechs, so I'm sorta skeptical if a box mod is for me..never know till I try, right? And who knows, It may turn out to be one if the best mods I've ever vaped!
But its gotta get here first...I hope by Wednesday as I got an email saying it will ship first thing in the morning with 2- day priority mail..
Your welcome on the feedback, but I think I would buy another Atlantis or coils for it..that Kanger didn't impress me at all..but like I stated above, that's just my opinion...

Last edited:

Fictitious Character

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
OK, I will!, lol...but I truly hope I like it..it will be my first VW mod, and my very first ever box mod...been using tube style mechs, so I'm sorta skeptical if a box mod is for me..never know till I try, right? And who knows, It may turn out to be one if the best mods I've ever vaped!
But its gotta get here first...I hope by Wednesday as I got an email saying it will ship first thing in the morning with 2- day priority mail..
Your welcome on the feedback, but I think I would buy another Atlantis or coils for it..that Kanger didn't impress me at all..but like I stated above, that's just my opinion...
I hope you like it too smacksy. Have you seen the 5ml tank upgrade that Aspire is about to release for the Atlantis?

Drone

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I hope you like it too smacksy. Have you seen the 5ml tank upgrade that Aspire is about to release for the Atlantis?

That upgrade certainly has my interest peaked. I don't mind filling the Atlantis several times a day, but if I can get a 5ml tank I'm in.

Fictitious Character

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
That upgrade certainly has my interest peaked. I don't mind filling the Atlantis several times a day, but if I can get a 5ml tank I'm in.
It's kind of pricey at the moment. I think it is listed at 20 bucks but once the market gets flooded the price will drop or deals will be found it is shown on Aspire's facebook page. Kidney Puncher also has a 8ml tank setup for it as well. http://www.kidneypuncher.com/the-kraigen-8ml-atlantis-tank/ Also pricey but you get more than the glass and the new chimney with the KP one and it has a top fill hole, but again when the market is flooded deals can be found.

I also heard Zen from the house of Hybrids say he was making a tank that would use the Nautilus heads.

Drone

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I think the 5ml Aspire tank upgrade will probably be best for me. 8ml is just too much and will make the tank too tall. I'll wait until they are available and see what reviews say about them.

rdsok

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm not sure testing the Atlantis and Kanger Subtank on the mech's were the best test beds to get a good idea about either. Testing them on a regulated mod with up to 40w of power available is the only way to ensure you're getting a good solid vape on either. The Atlantis is recommended by many to run in the 30w-35w range... the Kanger in ther 20w-25w range. Of the reviews I've seen both are neck and neck with the Atlantis only nudging ahead in the amount of vapor and only a slightly airier draw than the Kanger. With Kanger already having higher ohm options available and the included RTA build deck... helps to offset the slight advantage the Atlantis has in vapor/draw.

I do find the Subtank a little airy for my own tastes but I have only tested it with the 0.5Ω at this point and haven't tried the RTA build on it yet. I also assume that my using a Kayfun for so long, known for a stiff draw, has colored my own opinion in that area. I've yet to try the Atlantis so I can't do a side by side myself. I suspect it can do even better than what was mentioned about it on the mech.. but that is a guess based on what I've seen in other peoples vid reviews.

smacksy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm not sure testing the Atlantis and Kanger Subtank on the mech's were the best test beds to get a good idea about either. Testing them on a regulated mod with up to 40w of power available is the only way to ensure you're getting a good solid vape on either. The Atlantis is recommended by many to run in the 30w-35w range... the Kanger in ther 20w-25w range. Of the reviews I've seen both are neck and neck with the Atlantis only nudging ahead in the amount of vapor and only a slightly airier draw than the Kanger. With Kanger already having higher ohm options available and the included RTA build deck... helps to offset the slight advantage the Atlantis has in vapor/draw.

I do find the Subtank a little airy for my own tastes but I have only tested it with the 0.5Ω at this point and haven't tried the RTA build on it yet. I also assume that my using a Kayfun for so long, known for a stiff draw, has colored my own opinion in that area. I've yet to try the Atlantis so I can't do a side by side myself. I suspect it can do even better than what was mentioned about it on the mech.. but that is a guess based on what I've seen in other peoples vid reviews.
I've had the Atlantis on my XXIX mech for a week now and Vaped 30ml juice thru it..I prefer it to my kayfun that sits back on the shelf for now...The testing at the vape shop showed I like the big vertical coil and bigger airflow control on the Atlantis ...no matter what mod was used the airflow would be the same, and to me that was the most important comparison.. The Kanger was like sucking on a straw, the Atlantis was like like my RDA's, wide open with good air control to cut it back if too airy for me,...
In fact I like the the Atlantis so much I bought another one I plan to run on my IPV3 when it finally arrives which could be in few days...will see for myself if that box mod
hype is true..lol

9c8c89952ff59a814a550c410e6cdaf3.jpg

Last edited:

rdsok

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
To me... the term "sucking on a straw" brings the thought of being too airy.... not the other way around. When you mentioned it concerning the Subtank... I assumed you meant it was too tight of a draw just by the context it was given in...

It isn't about being a box mod... it's about being regulated no matter the mod's shape. A box mod can be either regulated or not. Being about to set the output power that best fits the atomizer and the coil/wick can make a lot of difference in flavor profile you get with a particular e-liquid.

smacksy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
To me... the term "sucking on a straw" brings the thought of being too airy.... not the other way around. When you mentioned it concerning the Subtank... I assumed you meant it was too tight of a draw just by the context it was given in...

It isn't about being a box mod... it's about being regulated no matter the mod's shape. A box mod can be either regulated or not. Being about to set the output power that best fits the atomizer and the coil/wick can make a lot of difference in flavor profile you get with a particular e-liquid.
To me sucking on a straw means is way too tight, ie. restricted ...wide open means just that..air is wide open without restriction..not that hard to understand..to put it even simpler, the airflow on the Atlantis let's me take long deep lung hits..the kanger only mouth hits due to being too restrictive for good enough airflow for a lung hit. Of course some people might be able to suck a golfball thru a garden hose, but I'm not one of them...Lol

rdsok

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I didn't have trouble understanding what you meant ... I guess we just use different straws since I've never thought of them as being restrictive in any way. I can lung hit the Subtank without any trouble...

smacksy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I didn't have trouble understanding what you meant ... I guess we just use different straws since I've never thought of them as being restrictive in any way. I can lung hit the Subtank without any trouble...
That's good for you..but I couldn't do a lung hit on the Subtank..I'm an old school dripper and will probly give up on tanks altogether..even the Atlantis can't blow the huge thick fluffy white clouds I get on my
Mutation X V2 on my mechs, and might blow even thicker clouds using it on the
150 watt IPV3 when it gets here later this week..in fact all my RDA's hit waaay better than any tank I've tried to date..even the Atlantis.. Lol

Last edited:

rdsok

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Blowin clouds are for the kids that are just trying to show off... flavor and feel are the important parts of vaping.

smacksy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Blowin clouds are for the kids that are just trying to show off... flavor and feel are the important parts of vaping.
You know what dude?? I'm not going to waste my time debating with you..Hell, I'm 61 yrs old and definitely not a kid, and who am I going to show-off for? grandma ??
but you wouldn't know that....keep your narrow minded opinions to yourself, for you truly don't know shit..

Last edited:

VU Sponsors