Become a Patron!

ipv3 150watt 8.5volts i need help on what coil i should build

so i got the new ipv3 it runs 150 watts and has 8.5 volts this things a tank but it just seems that everything i build just burns the cotton and it just tastes awful i cant rip it 150 watts without it burning in like 2 seconds what coils should i build i figure i need to be at like .4 oms anything lower than that it just burns wayyyyy to hot and how should i wick my Japanese cotton

Northern Michigan Mods

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
If you are planning on running that high of wattage i would go with at least .6 ohms. Anything lower the coils get hot way to fast and the juice cant wick fast enough. If you are using a RDA with a lot of airflow you may be able to get away with lower but i would try macro coils it may help better.

Tim Vatic

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
The thing to remember is just because you have the ability to go 150 watts doesn't mean you need to use it all the time. You do realize that by firing a .4 Ω coil at 150 watts your pushing nearly 20 amps and 8 volts. That's A LOT. If its clouds your wanting to make you can achieve what you want by building a .4 Ω dual micro coil and running it around 40-50watts. trust me, that'll make monster clouds especially if your using high vg e liquid. I suggest that you watch some youtube reviews on building and wicking coils. Dual coils seem to work the best for me. but remember the higher you set the power on your device, the faster your going to go through juice, the faster your gonna trash your coils and wicks and the faster your gonna kill your batteries.If you have a smart phone, download the free app vapers toolbox, this will help you a lot with building coils and learning ohms law. Hope this helps.

KappaCory

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
gonna have to second tim on this one, but i'm exactly with you on wanting to run it at maximum its just the coils, even for building a macro, heat way too fast and it's just not easy or worth the time it takes to fight with them and stabilize a perfect build for such a high demand, you'll get great clouds at the 40-60 area, more power doesn't always mean more vapor.

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
Just because it is capable of producing 150 watts does not mean you should vape at 150 watts.

madmonkey

The Road Warrior
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Yup, resistance of a coil isn't the only factor here...surface area of a coil can play a big part...thinner wire will heat up a lot faster than thicker wire at the same resistances....try wrapping a 3+mm coil with a thicker wire and more wraps to get to your desired resistance....any coil at that high of wattage will burn threw juice faster than you can shake a stick at...but @Sully said it best...a lower gauge wire with many wraps will probably be the better way to go.

The old school of though was you stayed with in a certain amount of wraps with a mech mod because you were working with direct current off a battery and too many wrapps would take forever to heat up....with these new regulated box mods putting out constant power it changes the game a little and because they can put out such high wattages at higher voltages than just a single battery feeding the coil directly you can do 10-16 wrap coils depending on the wire gauge and crank up the power and they'll still heat right up...It's a new world for sure :)

VU Sponsors