Become a Patron!

Irritating, Annoying & Asinine Whistling RTAs

Mommay

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
What causes this? and, Can I fix it? Almost every RTA I own does this. My Kayfun 3.1ES, all Kayfun Lites, Prometey v2 (whistles less than anything else), Kayfun mini - Heck, even the non-RTA Aerotank whistled before it got retired (for whistling). I think the only RTA that I have that doesn't whistle is my Taifun. HELP!

draghon

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Not a pro or anything, but see if i can help =]. Try disassembling each part and make sure your vent holes/air flow doesnt have anything obstructing its path [usually with clones that wasnt cleaned thouroughly]. Change drip tip to a wider bore [talking about kayfun 3.1 since its stock tip is pretty narrow]. Last but not the least, though it sounds funny, SUCK HARDER ;), i dunno what else to think of. Hope that helps:)

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Pin hole sized air intake. with air leak around the adjustments.
Also agree with the obstruction, can be tough on the angled intakes.

Mommay

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Thanks for the replies. I will be dis-assembling all, as I empty & clean. Hopefully, I will find a solution.

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
you might consider buffing the air intake a bit with a dremmel hone.

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Also adjust the position of your coils. How the air moves within the chimney matters. I have found that a bead reamer (which can be found at any craft store like Michael's and JoAnn's) is helpful for cleaning out air flow holes

Mommay

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have a Dremel & I have bead reamers!! Of course, I pulled one of my old faves out & have gone thru a tank w/very few whistles (just like taking your car to the garage & it won't make "the sound")... it IS one that I had taken the dremel to & tried to taper the air hole a bit. I think tomorrow, it will get a bit more reaming & will take the tools to the rest of them - starting with the loudest offender first.

Fuzzy Bruce

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
You could send all those annoying bastards to me. I am a noob and do not know better.

Mommay

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm actually putting one of the Kayfuns in the PIF box. If this doesn't work, I'll keep you in mind. PIF is much better than letting them sit in a drawer!

Mommay

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I completely disassembled my Kayfun Nano, found the air intake in the 510 pin was slightly off, repositioned, & opened up the side air inlet a bit. Replaced o-rings - no more whistle. Both of my Promotey v2 got total overhauls, too. I found the negative post on 1 of them a bit loose, which could've caused a bit of a whistle. I reamed the air holes in the center posts, both in the tanks & bases, enlarged, then tapered & smoothed the side air inlets. Replaced all O-rings. No more whistling in these either. I still have a couple of tanks left to do, but, thanks to your recommendations, I'm not stressing about them - I know I can fix them with just a little time & effort. Thank you all for your suggestions - they worked!

Warhawk-AVG

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Whistling comes from square drilled holes, need to knock the edge off. FT sells some small needle hobby files (or find a small drillbit slightly larger than hole and twist on the opening of the hole) and deburr/taper the holes, that should cut down on the whistle

Posted from NARFatalk!!

dclifford

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I have a plume veil that is doing this and it drives me crazy

Mommay

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
All of my tanks are now fixed.Rounding off the squared edges of the air intakes (inside & out) fixed them right up.

I know this is an old thread, I'm finding I have a whistling issue on my Avocado rta if I try to cut the air flow down at all from full open slots. Guess I'll have to try and camphor the edges of the entire slot to see if it helps.

VU Sponsors