Is a Chromebook worth the price?

EthelMaltol

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Hi! I have been watching modenvy on my tablet as I really need a new computer. I saw a great price on a refurbished chromebook. Wondering if anyone has one and how well it will run vapers.tv and youtube videos? Great price and supposedly long battery life. It would mostly be used for these flash sites, surfing, etc, nothing too taxing. Thanks!

CJ

VU Webmaster
Staff member
VU Senior Leadership
VU Senior Administrator
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon

EthelMaltol

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Thanks, CJ! Did you have any issues with flash before linux?

CJ

VU Webmaster
Staff member
VU Senior Leadership
VU Senior Administrator
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
Not a problem, and no none that I can recall.

Roger Schaeffer

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
How well does it Vape

Reactions: jae

Hobby Kid

Brighton Boy
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have used Chromebooks since they came out, however I often replace the ChromeOS with Ubuntu or Linux Mint, so that I can get the full potential from the hardware. If you do happen to get one, I would suggest looking into Ubuntu for Chromebook http://lifehacker.com/how-to-install-linux-on-a-chromebook-and-unlock-its-ful-509039343
I used to program in Linux. I liked how you can grab files from your other O/Ss. It offers so much decent free programs and applications. You just have/used to have to manage the updates and keep an eye on them else it would download everything

EthelMaltol

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Sounds great! I think I can handle the linux. I've been wanting to try it on my old desktop for years now, but didn't know if I could find drivers for my no name wifi adapter. Plus, a laptop would be so much more convenient. Look out vapers.tv, here I come! Lol!

Hobby Kid

Brighton Boy
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Sounds great! I think I can handle the linux. I've been wanting to try it on my old desktop for years now, but didn't know if I could find drivers for my no name wifi adapter. Plus, a laptop would be so much more convenient. Look out vapers.tv, here I come! Lol!
You know, if you ever have problems with it you can always plug in a USB wifi adapter. It'll make any old laptop wifi enabled.

Linux is a learning curve. I don't know how it comes set up as default these days but if you install it whatever version, look for help in setting it up properly, which GUI is best for you and shutting down unnecessary services as Linux should run like lightening, especially from the command prompt

Spendi

Member For 4 Years
I have an HP Chromebook and like it fine. I guess I'm not thrilled with the touchpad either tho. I thought it was just the way I'm used to resting my thumb while browsing and maybe it is but I deal with my cursor jumping around. Usually down to the bottom left where the apps are because I'm left handed.

jae

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
They're not very powerful, and if you want to use them for anything critical you're almost guaranteed that it won't be supported. (I work tech support for an e-learning publisher, and can't count how many students are up shit creek because their computers just can't run the types of browser plugins they need to do their homework.) But for simple everyday tasks they're fine. I would also highly recommend running some flavor of Linux.

Hobby Kid

Brighton Boy
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
They're not very powerful, and if you want to use them for anything critical you're almost guaranteed that it won't be supported. (I work tech support for an e-learning publisher, and can't count how many students are up shit creek because their computers just can't run the types of browser plugins they need to do their homework.) But for simple everyday tasks they're fine. I would also highly recommend running some flavor of Linux.
And that time in your life when you really need a fast laptop is which you're a student

jae

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
And that time in your life when you really need a fast laptop is which you're a student
I blame Java. Fucking Java! Flash is bad enough, but at least Chrome has Pepper built-in (not sure about ChromeOS version but i'd guess it does).

But even when you hack together a machine which works for most general purposes, calling any sort of tech support for help with their web sites is useless, because we're always going to tell you the truth: we don't test on ChromeOS or any flavor of Linux or BSD or Solaris or anything cool, so we cannot guarantee it will work, and therefore we are unable to support it. There are just too many OS out there to support any more but the most widely used, and unfortunately that always means the latest few versions of Windows and Mac flavors, and that's it.

Hobby Kid

Brighton Boy
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I blame Java. Fucking Java! Flash is bad enough, but at least Chrome has Pepper built-in (not sure about ChromeOS version but i'd guess it does).

But even when you hack together a machine which works for most general purposes, calling any sort of tech support for help with their web sites is useless, because we're always going to tell you the truth: we don't test on ChromeOS or any flavor of Linux or BSD or Solaris or anything cool, so we cannot guarantee it will work, and therefore we are unable to support it. There are just too many OS out there to support any more but the most widely used, and unfortunately that always means the latest few versions of Windows and Mac flavors, and that's it.
Hmm I know what you mean. If I'm writing server side code I try and make it non platform specific. But that getting harder. Well it's getting to be more work. And Apple! I don't even go there. They're so 'exclusive' and expect everyone to make an exception and go out of their way for them.

jae

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hmm I know what you mean. If I'm writing server side code I try and make it non platform specific. But that getting harder. Well it's getting to be more work. And Apple! I don't even go there. They're so 'exclusive' and expect everyone to make an exception and go out of their way for them.
Ugh, don't even get me started. Apple is the Hitler of computing and personal tech.

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Hi! I have been watching modenvy on my tablet as I really need a new computer. I saw a great price on a refurbished chromebook. Wondering if anyone has one and how well it will run vapers.tv and youtube videos? Great price and supposedly long battery life. It would mostly be used for these flash sites, surfing, etc, nothing too taxing. Thanks!
Depends if all you need to do is browse the web do some word processing light work then they are great for the price but for anything else they just will not cut the cake.. If I was you save up and get atleast a Core I5 Intel based machine or a higher end AMD I have a chrome book but nobody uses it in fact its been in my storage area for like 2 months... maybe on vacation next month I will take it.. :)

Savage_46

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Ugh, don't even get me started. Apple is the Hitler of computing and personal tech.
I know I'm off topic here, but I just gotta say I, for whatever reason, despise apple & refuse to own any of their products. Your analogy is the best way of putting it I've ever seen.

VU Sponsors