Become a Patron!

Is dry burning really necessary?

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yeah it is. I've been very impressed with it. The pre made coils used to leak bit the RBA has been golden for me :)
Yep tried the factory coils and kind of meh and tended to dribble.
But with the RBA only 2 cases of leakage in over 2 years of daily use.
Once was my wicking...
The other was a major leak where I had lost the o-ring off the RBA deck.

and sometime one of my STM's will sit filled with juice for a month or more in a stand with a seldom vaped flavor in it.

Been vaping one of them for over 2 years with nary a problem. Same Orings, etc.

Not wild about most topfill tanks as they tend to dribble it seems.
I would not buy a Kanger Toptank mini.

I have around 10 STM's with parts to build several more.

Tried a toptank style top on a STM base. Dribbled...
I do like the clear polycarb tops for the STM though when using in a rough enviropnment.

Mattp169

Platinum Contributor
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
Once was my wicking...

and sometime one of my STM's will sit filled with juice for a month or more in a stand with a seldom vaped flavor in it.

I do like the clear polycarb tops for the STM though when using in a rough enviropnment.

what type of coil (style ID wraps) do you use on the STM

SkoldVape

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Once was my wicking...

You do right. I got a toptank with a Kanger kit and it leaked like hell!

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Sound like an intricate time consuming build. Gonna need a couple of those 38xxx batteries prolly.
Yep waiting on the 200 amp 38XXX mech mods for the huge attys out there.
Should work out to around 42mm diameter.

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yea there's always a sizzle of something burning when you first heat them. I figure machine oil or something. Probably safer to burn that off.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Machine oil and other garbage on the wire is why I always drop my fresh built coils in the Ultrasonic before working out the hot spots. Even with dry burning there will be residue. Plus I don't use Chinese shit wire, you never know what other crap from what other shit the make in the same factory like lead or any other crap. China certainly has major issues with QA.

MrMeowgi

The Vapin' Drummer
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Machine oil and other garbage on the wire is why I always drop my fresh built coils in the Ultrasonic before working out the hot spots. Even with dry burning there will be residue. Plus I don't use Chinese shit wire, you never know what other crap from what other shit the make in the same factory like lead or any other crap. China certainly has major issues with QA.
Definitely use good wire.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

SkoldVape

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I found I like the ~.42 best it also works to my satisfaction on a mech using 25R's.
disclaimer.
I do not own nor will I ever own a hybrid style mech mod.
I don't use mechs at all. Just regulated mods for me. Single 18650 or dual

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I don't use mechs at all. Just regulated mods for me. Single 18650 or dual
I use Coppervape and Pico Squeeze mods for vaping and occasionally a Kato clone mech.
I also use regulated squonkers for at home but the mech squonkers are for out and about.

I pick my coil builds so they will work with either mechs or regulated mods.
Like to keep it as simple as I can.

SkoldVape

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I use Coppervape and Pico Squeeze mods for vaping and occasionally a Kato clone mech.
I also use regulated squonkers for at home but the mech squonkers are for out and about.

I pick my coil builds so they will work with either mechs or regulated mods.
Like to keep it as simple as I can.
I have my eye on a pico squeeze for my Wasp nano but just never got one

PoppaVic

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
@The Cromwell I think it's time for a Wasp-Nano thread.. I been doodling around with it for 2 weeks and we've got at least 4 threads where we mention it.

yesterday, I got home from work and was so irked I stood right there and recoiled and wicked it.. I was thinking "OK, dammit, this is gonna' be the FLAVOR-TESTER atty".. I shoved some mesh into the coil, (after pulling off a loop), and then decided to shove a doubled silica wick through the core. I mean, sheesh - I thouight "drip to taste flavor batches"..

dammit, it's now back on the Gbox and wicking a treat - only change is: I threw on one of the cheap plastic DT's from my NOVA days... THis helps limit spitback, restricts the airflow a little, and keeps me a bit away from the coil

SkoldVape

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
@The Cromwell I think it's time for a Wasp-Nano thread.. I been doodling around with it for 2 weeks and we've got at least 4 threads where we mention it.

yesterday, I got home from work and was so irked I stood right there and recoiled and wicked it.. I was thinking "OK, dammit, this is gonna' be the FLAVOR-TESTER atty".. I shoved some mesh into the coil, (after pulling off a loop), and then decided to shove a doubled silica wick through the core. I mean, sheesh - I thouight "drip to taste flavor batches"..

dammit, it's now back on the Gbox and wicking a treat - only change is: I threw on one of the cheap plastic DT's from my NOVA days... THis helps limit spitback, restricts the airflow a little, and keeps me a bit away from the coil
Definitely need a nano thread :)

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years

I use these DT's on my wasps.
Lucy recommended them to me.

https://www.fasttech.com/p/8471700

I also use these in most of my stuff including STM's and Wasps.
Cheaper too.
https://www.fasttech.com/p/5213000

both are tapered inside with no ledge at the inside bottom to collect condensation and vape as open as you can get on a 510 DT.

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
The Subtank Mini V2 with RBA is also a very under rated tank.

I agree... I've had nothing short of success with the STM's for the last well almost 3 years that we have been using them. I've only broken 1 RBA and I take them down to bits with every rewicking to remove the cooties out of the airflow tube and under the insulators that I determined the cause of the burnt taste in a fresh build. Those who do bash the STM, chances are they are using the stock heads and we all know that they can be inconsistent at the best of times. With the STM RBA along with any atty its how its wicked that determines the success or failure of a build.
I pull the build out of the STM and clean it separately by scraping the chunkies off then mildly heating then dunk into water, repeat a couple times and the build is quite clean without unneeded use of the batts or hitter to dryburn. I then replace the build back into the rba and march forward. I vape single core 29/34 spaced clapton of either SS, kanthal or both and it usually gets a couple rewickings before I bin the build since I got piles of wire so there is no use to me to vape a coil to death when a new coil is only a couple minutes work.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
It was a passing comment and I was on my phone so shoot me

1b5421cb2919542437a4982ce4f85024--water-balloon-fight-water-balloons.jpg

EZG

Member For 2 Years
I really wanna get into RTAs but the only thing putting me off is the dry burning. What's wrong with making a coil without dry burning? And I just found out about spaced coils. Why do the majority of people compress their coils together?

Can I get away without dry burning? If so, what RTA tank gives a lot of flavor? I've been looking at the Geekvape Zeus. What do you think?

If it makes a difference, I use the Voopoo DRAG.

I have no deep knowledge about dry-burning, so I can't help with that.

You mentioned the Zeus RTA, I own 2 of those. They're amazing.
If "top airflow 0% leaking EVER" is what you're looking for, go for it, that's the best choice. The flavor is really good, but I'm pretty sure other popular RTA with regular bottom airflow can achieve better flavor and are easier to build. Not that the Zeus RTA is hard to build, but it's not as easy as some other RTA. One of the pros is that you can have cotton too tight, too lose, too long, too short, coil too high, or too low, whatever you do, it performs well, and that's a solid point in my opinion, because a lot of other RTA require practice to find the right balance and perform well.

Also keep in mind that even if a bottom airflow RTA is certified 100% no leak, it will leak, not because its faulty, but just because of the condensation slowly stacking and going down.

Some people talked about the good performances of the RBA deck for the Subtank mini v2, please no. I own 2 of these 2, and never ever. Yes the flavor is surprisingly good for a small RBA deck on a tank that is supposed to be used with industrial coils, but it's far, far from what a real RTA can offer to you.

Mattp169

Platinum Contributor
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
I have no deep knowledge about dry-burning, so I can't help with that.

You mentioned the Zeus RTA, I own 2 of those. They're amazing.
If "top airflow 0% leaking EVER" is what you're looking for, go for it, that's the best choice. The flavor is really good, but I'm pretty sure other popular RTA with regular bottom airflow can achieve better flavor and are easier to build. Not that the Zeus RTA is hard to build, but it's not as easy as some other RTA. One of the pros is that you can have cotton too tight, too lose, too long, too short, coil too high, or too low, whatever you do, it performs well, and that's a solid point in my opinion, because a lot of other RTA require practice to find the right balance and perform well.

Also keep in mind that even if a bottom airflow RTA is certified 100% no leak, it will leak, not because its faulty, but just because of the condensation slowly stacking and going down.

Some people talked about the good performances of the RBA deck for the Subtank mini v2, please no. I own 2 of these 2, and never ever. Yes the flavor is surprisingly good for a small RBA deck on a tank that is supposed to be used with industrial coils, but it's far, far from what a real RTA can offer to you.
I used to feel the same on the STM RBA but you throw the right build in there and you'd be surprised. I normally use dual claptons, but throw a fused clapton that ohms out the same as dual standard claptons and you get about the same flavor with a much tighter draw on the STM. My biggest issue with them has always been that no matter what they short out after a while and I have to rebuild them prematurely. It's probably my RBA deck because so many people have much better luck with theirs.

Its really about finding the right amount of vapor/flavor production with the right draw to make you happy

EZG

Member For 2 Years
I used to feel the same on the STM RBA but you throw the right build in there and you'd be surprised. I normally use dual claptons, but throw a fused clapton that ohms out the same as dual standard claptons and you get about the same flavor with a much tighter draw on the STM. My biggest issue with them has always been that no matter what they short out after a while and I have to rebuild them prematurely. It's probably my RBA deck because so many people have much better luck with theirs.

Its really about finding the right amount of vapor/flavor production with the right draw to make you happy

Its 2018. Dont throw money in a STM. There are so many better options around for the same price, or even lower. So many good RTA now...

VU Sponsors