Become a Patron!

Is it okay to be under the ranges on my tank?

So I’m new to modern vaping. I used to use EVOD pens a few years ago, before they even had those dials. So really I don’t know anything about temp control, or wattage, and here I am with a brand new T-PRIV. I’m not even sure what this tank is, but it says SMOK; 0.4Ohm, 40-80W, Best 55-65W.

The guy told me to start low, to let the coil warm up. So I was at 10 for a bit, then 15 on so on for the first day. Today I’ve been at 30W all day, and now I’m on 35. It’s crackling more now. It didn’t at all on 20. Some of the tiny droplets of liquid at hot enough to hurt a bit, and it looks like the temp is set at 580F.

Basically, I’m wondering if I should turn the temp down at all. Or if I should even try vaping at 55, since it says best results are 55-65W. Will it hurt anything (besides my lips) to turn it up that high? Or is leaving it on 30-35W okay?

John C

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
More knowledgeable people regarding this setup will probably chime in. For me, though I havent vaped a factory-coil tank in a while, I always used to vape under the recommended wattage.

For this coil you have in now, Id say vape where you like, including 30 or whatever. Then on the next coil, start off at 30 and go up from there, hitting 50, or whatever you like. Of course on a new coil, you'll want to wait a few minutes for the juice to saturate the coil.

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
Sounds like the coil is flooded. Fire it for 1 or 2 seconds without puffing. Then try it normally. You can also blow out through your coil to burn off excess juice.
With all coils, start at low power and work your way up to where you like the vape. You can pretty much ignore what the coil says, that is just a guide line for purchasing. Example.. you wouldnt want a coil recommened for 120w if your box only goes to 80w.

For new coils.. put 1 to 3 drops into the top (to wet the wick inside) and 1 drop on each of the juice holes. Carefully assemble the tank, and fill. You can take a priming puff without firing if you wish. Turn power down low and start vaping. Increase power slowly until you find your sweet spot.

Starting at low power warms the juice to get it flowing with out instantly burning your coil.

Hillbilly Pig

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Reddit Exile
What @gbalkam said.
Also it seems like you said you were in Tempature control mode, or maybe I misread. If so, get off TC mode and back into VW mode. Smok factory coils can't be ran in TC. If you are in variable wattage mode, disregard what I said. Welcome to VU, happy to have ya here :D

Thank you guys! But what about the temperature? While I was trying to get it started up in the shop, I was accidentally hitting buttons. When I was learning more about it, I saw the temp was set to 580F. That’s oddly specific. Do they come that high or did I change it on accident?

Hillbilly Pig

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Reddit Exile
Thank you guys! But what about the temperature? While I was trying to get it started up in the shop, I was accidentally hitting buttons. When I was learning more about it, I saw the temp was set to 580F. That’s oddly specific. Do they come that high or did I change it on accident?

You might've changed it on accident, but like I said get off TC mode unless you're making your own coils. Otherwise what'll happen can be pretty uncool. Your temp doesn't really have an exact range, it's just what isn't too hot or cold to you. Hope you can get to enjoying your vape :vino:

pescadore

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Definitely take it of of temp control and run VW. I would start low on the recommended wattage for the coil and go from there. Some juices taste better at a certain wattage and you will need to experiment to see what you like the best. Get you a paper towel or something to put around the air flow holes and blow through the drip tip to clear out extra juice because it does sound like you have flooded the coil. Find the right wattage for your taste and just enjoy !!!

Fudgey Finger

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I think it should also be mentioned that it is important, when you prime your new coil head, to work up to the top of its recommended wattage range. You don't need to stay up at the top, but you should at least work up to it once. If you don't then there is a good chance that the wire in the coil head won't prime correctly and you will get a hot spot in the coil, continually heating one little spot on the wick and premateurly burning it out.

Sent from my LGL64VL using Tapatalk

Letitia9

Citrus Junkie
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Welcome to VU.
You do need to make sure you are not in tc mode. When you are in power mode you will not see temp on your screen. There is no reason to run coil at the top recommended wattage. Start low and work your way up until you find a sweet spot. As recommended purge the coil and go from there.

VU Sponsors