Become a Patron!

Is it okay to leave batteries in a mod that isn't in constant use?

TrackDay

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
Hey guys,

I've got two mods I use for on the go vaping. One has a tank which I use when I'm walking around a lot and don't want to stop and drip like I would have to do with an RDA. The other mod has an RDA which I use if I know I'm going to waiting around awhile and have the opportunity to drip. My question is, seeing as these mods are not in my constant rotation ( I use an RDA at home on my tempest ) is it okay to leave the batteries in them?

Thanks.

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
it's better to take the batts out and have them discharged to 3.5 volts

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
You're talking about mods you use regularly, correct?

I been leaving batteries in mods I use regularly until they need a charge for the last couple years, I charge um when they hit 3.60, or thereabouts.

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I take the batts out and keep em at long term storage voltage. I guess either/or in this situation

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I have a couple iPV Minis that have a real pain in the ass threaded battery cap, so I leave a battery in each of those and just charge via USB, so those batteries stay in those mods all the time, dedicated, since those battery caps are a huge PITA. I use 'em each at least one full day a week, so they're in regular use, if not frequent. I don't see any problems with it, but what do I know, I'm just a girl. :D Another reason I don't care to take the batteries in and out constantly is that one of them has some sharp edge in the battery tube, and once scored the hell out of one of my 25Rs, so I prefer to keep the batteries intact and just leave 'em in, charged via USB.

Andria

TrackDay

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
Thanks for the reply guys. I use my main mod ( tempest ) all day every day and occasionally I'll take a break from that and use my IPV6x with the tank for a change of flavor. The other mod with the rda also gets used every couple of days when I'm out and about so I guess from what's been said so far it should be okay to just leave them in there. :)

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Thanks for the reply guys. I use my main mod ( tempest ) all day every day and occasionally I'll take a break from that and use my IPV6x with the tank for a change of flavor. The other mod with the rda also gets used every couple of days when I'm out and about so I guess from what's been said so far it should be okay to just leave them in there. :)
Yep.....:wave:

Jim_MDP

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years

Days? Sheesh... yeah, that's okay.

I've pulled the batts from the mods I haven't used in months, and don't plan to reach for in the near future, but I keep a half dozen or so going and half those may not get picked up for a couple weeks. Then they get used for a day or three and it's back to sitting (depends on the juice... some are fine in a tank long term, some aren't) and eventually they get drained and fresh cells swapped in.

Other than sitting a month in humid weather, why would a few days concern you?

TrackDay

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
Days? Sheesh... yeah, that's okay.

I've pulled the batts from the mods I haven't used in months, and don't plan to reach for in the near future, but I keep a half dozen or so going and half those may not get picked up for a couple weeks. Then they get used for a day or three and it's back to sitting (depends on the juice... some are fine in a tank long term, some aren't) and eventually they get drained and fresh cells swapped in.

Other than sitting a month in humid weather, why would a few days concern you?

I'm relatively new to vaping. It may have been a stupid question but I was just curious. But thanks for your response.

Jim_MDP

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm relatively new to vaping. It may have been a stupid question but I was just curious. But thanks for your response.

No offense intended (just feeling out of sorts and snarky today :( ).

Vaping brings out the odd thoughts and questions in a lot of folks for some reason, more than I've seen in any other activity or hobby. It's truly bizarre (not you specifically), so I'd ask... do you have similar concerns about the batteries in your other electronics? What were you imagining would happen with your mods? (and yes... there are differing hazard levels between our 18650s etc. and the run of the mill AAs, but still.)

TrackDay

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
No offense intended (just feeling out of sorts and snarky today :( ).

Vaping brings out the odd thoughts and questions in a lot of folks for some reason, more than I've seen in any other activity or hobby. It's truly bizarre (not you specifically), so I'd ask... do you have similar concerns about the batteries in your other electronics? What were you imagining would happen with your mods? (and yes... there are differing hazard levels between our 18650s etc. and the run of the mill AAs, but still.)

No problem mate.

The concern I had with my other electronics that use batteries is that they could tend to leak over time if left in the device too long and I didn't want that happening with the batteries in my mod.

Jim_MDP

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
No problem mate.

The concern I had with my other electronics that use batteries is that they could tend to leak over time if left in the device too long and I didn't want that happening with the batteries in my mod.

Absolutely... that's why I mentioned a month in humidity. Damn corrosion and leaking has ruined a few flashlights of mine left untouched for long periods. Doubt I'm alone there. :D

But except for going in and outdoors repeatedly... in a rainforest... I can't see a few weeks doing any damage to good batteries left installed.

But being here on the Wet Coast (Oregon)... maybe I should look into it. :eek:

j/k. :p

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I have an old-style corded phone on my nightstand, with an LCD screen for caller ID -- that screen is powered by batteries, or it used to be -- I left 4 AA's in it for so long, they corroded completely, and now that screen doesn't work at all. :( Damn it to hell. I guess it was a useful feature back in the days when phones had their own lines, so you didn't need AC power to use the phone -- phone still worked in a blackout. But nowadays with VOIP, if you don't have power, you don't have phone anyway, so PFFFT! on those fucking batteries, for eating my caller ID screen.

Andria

VU Sponsors