Become a Patron!

Is it possible to get a good cloud 30w?

Hi guys, i'm new on this forum, i'm going to make an introduction post if needed, but for now i just wanted to ask: i'm going to buy a 30w mod with a 50/50 liquid, sub-ohm (0.5)... Will it be possible to get a decent vape cloud or will i need a 60w one? If yes, how can i do it? (I mean setting the air flow, vattage etc.)
Thank you all in advance and have a nice day.

ej1024

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yeah but can i get something decent with a 30w? I can't afford to spend much for now...

Nope... trust me
You gonna want some more of that cloudz, get a cheap 200 watts mod, vape it at 30 watts if that what you like... r you in the USA?

I BAM

Giraut

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Define "good cloud"...

If you want decent enough clouds to impress onlookers and still have good, dense, hot vapor for you to enjoy, get yourself a low profile RDA with a small chamber that has a slightly restrictive direct lung inhale - or one with an airflow that can be adjusted that way.

If however you want to vape up a room in a hurry and wow a crowd, you'll need more air, therefore more power, and consequently a build that can convert all that power into clean vapor without dry hits: the less restrictive the airflow and the bigger the chamber, the more vapor you'll need to mix more quickly with the extra air that passes through the atty. You'll certainly be disappointed with a very airy, large RDA at lower power.

Me, I only vape at 35W-40W with small "flavor" attys, and while I wouldn't win any cloud competition, my setups spew out more than enough to be taken seriously.

Define "good cloud"...

If you want decent enough clouds to impress onlookers and still have good, dense, hot vapor for you to enjoy, get yourself a low profile RDA with a small chamber that has a slightly restrictive direct lung inhale - or one with an airflow that can be adjusted that way.

If however you want to vape up a room in a hurry and wow a crowd, you'll need more air, therefore more power, and consequently a build that can convert all that power into clean vapor without dry hits: the less restrictive the airflow and the bigger the chamber, the more vapor you'll need to mix more quickly with the extra air that passes through the atty. You'll certainly be disappointed with a very airy, large RDA at lower power.

Me, I only vape at 35W-40W with small "flavor" attys, and while I wouldn't win any cloud competition, my setups spew out more than enough to be taken seriously.
Thank you so much... For decent i mean something like that:
apa-itu-vape.jpg

Nope... trust me
You gonna want some more of that cloudz, get a cheap 200 watts mod, vape it at 30 watts if that what you like... r you in the USA?

I BAM
Nope, i'm from Italy unluckily...

Giraut

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
apa-itu-vape.jpg

You can get that at 15W if you do your build well. I mean hell, back in the days, even with the very first eVic and a Smok Mini RDA at 11W, I'm fairly sure my clouds were more impressive than that - and in broad daylight too :)

What is available to you There?

I BAM
Well i already ordered the thorvap 30 w arctic
That's the only thing i could afford now since you have to calculate the liquid costs...
Just wanted to point out that i'm a noob in this, i started looking up for mods like a week ago...

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
Hi guys, i'm new on this forum, i'm going to make an introduction post if needed, but for now i just wanted to ask: i'm going to buy a 30w mod with a 50/50 liquid, sub-ohm (0.5)... Will it be possible to get a decent vape cloud or will i need a 60w one? If yes, how can i do it? (I mean setting the air flow, vattage etc.)
You will get some cloud. Don't expect a big cloud on a 30w mod with a premade 0.5 ohm coil and 50/50 juice. It is what it is. What you get is what you will get. Now if you want to know CAN you get a decent cloud with a 30w mod, sure you can. Nothing to enter a competition with.. but decent enough for 30w.

First, you need an RDA, or drip atomizer. You will need some 28 gauge kanthal (nichrome probably better *more wraps per ohm*) and some cotton for wicking, and some 20pg/80vg ejuice. Higher vg =bigger cloud. And of course, be willing to learn to build a coil. Which isn't really hard.

It is mostly about maximizing the heat you get for your 30w over as much surface area as possible. So yes, it is possible to get a fairly decent cloud on 30w but you have to plan and build accordingly.
Steam-engine.org will help.

dual coil, 4 wrap of 28 ga NiChrome 80 on a 2.25 mm id core (the size of the screwdriver bit that will come with the atomizer) will give 360 mW/mm2 (heat flux) at 30W.

http://www.steam-engine.org/coil.html?mat=n80&s=dp&r=0.28&hf=360&awg=28&id=2.25

again, this is not going to be a massive cloud build, but will give a decent cloud on a 30w mod.

Blowing clouds isn't about running out and buying more powerful mods. It is about maximizing your coil build on what you have. Important rule.. the more surface area your coil covers, the bigger the cloud you can make. The trick is to balance the mass of that coil with the power your mod can put out.

Last edited:

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
A more advanced build for 30w.. is a single coil, 3 strand parallel coil. (you wrap 3 wires, side by side, without twisting them) 6 wraps around a 2.50 mm id core (prob could do 7 wraps on a 2.25mm id core, using 30ga stainless steel wire. This will actually be like an 18 to 21 wrap coil, but you have to make them parallel to meet the resistance limit of your mod. 21 straight wraps would be over 5 ohms, well above the max 3.0 ohm limit of most mods, so you use a parallel build to get the resistance down within your mods limitations.
That is a "later on after you get used to building coils" build. It is tricky to handle without crushing the coil.lol

* Sometimes, your local shop will sell 10ft of wire for about $1 per 3ft or so.* Fasttech has cheap prices, but there is a wait for shipping. I just ordered 50 meters of 32ga stainless steel wire for about $6 Canadian.. free shipping. I figure it will be about 4 to 8 weeks getting here.

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
Toptank mini at 30w.

7 wraps of (3 strand parallel) 32ga stainless steel on the RBA mini.. Single coil build

I would say that is pretty decent on 30w. :)

I am only using 30w of power, even though I have a 200w mod.

eSMOKA

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
apa-itu-vape.jpg

I get almost as much vapor as that picture at 16W, 50/50 juice, restricted or loose lung hits on a 1.0-1.5 ohms horizontal single coil RTA. The more humid the air is, the bigger and thicker my cloud looks. It also depends on how forcefully you exhale. The more forceful you exhale, the thinner the cloud looks.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
There are few easy straight forward answers in vaping.
Too many variables.

A few are easy though like do NOT use a subtank on a hybrid mech with an efest battery.

explaining why not to do that is complicated though :)

Angrygod50

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Nothing to add to the good advice you already got but wanted to say Welcome to the VU.
Once you do a few builds it becomes easy. A bit of patience and a stick to it attitude and you'll be a wiz in no time.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Nothing to add to the good advice you already got but wanted to say Welcome to the VU.
Once you do a few builds it becomes easy. A bit of patience and a stick to it attitude and you'll be a wiz in no time.
Yep this sorry I did not think to do a welcome.

not thinking well though up for the last 2 nights with a abscessed tooth. Appt at local little shop of horrors in a couple of hours.

Angrygod50

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Yep this sorry I did not think to do a welcome.

not thinking well though up for the last 2 nights with a abscessed tooth. Appt at local little shop of horrors in a couple of hours.
DAMM OW OW OW OW OW good luck and be pain free.

Giraut

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
There are few easy straight forward answers in vaping. Too many variables.

That's true, yet vaping enthusiasts often overlook one thing: in today's world of plug-and-play, dependable gear, getting a good vape needn't be any harder than reaching for a pack of smokes and lighting one up anymore. So, unless there's something wrong with your mod, stop thinking and just enjoy it :)

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The juul is the easiest vape I suppose.

I think some people are actually too lazy to vape.
Much easier to light up a smoke and then throw it away.
And they sell em everywhere.

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years

Depends on your definition of a good cloud......

I vape at 25watts or less...... my clouds might not fill the room in 1 hit......... but they are much denser than any smoke I ever blew. I also vape mostly 50% or higher PG. Generally in the 60 to 70% PG range.

BUT. I would advise more than a 30 watts mod...for less than 1ohm.. @.5ohm a mech mod put out 35 watts on a full battery and 24 on a drained one.... regulated I would get at least 2x more watts than you intend to need.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Giraut

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years

You reckon?

Where I live, there's a vape store at every street corner. In 10 minutes, one who never vaped in his life can get out of the store with a fully functional mod with a fresh battery, a full tank that's all ready to vape, and enough basic instructions from the clerk to get by just fine.

When I started, I had to get my gear in another country, then spend hours goofing around with carto punchers, leaky tanks, crappy Ego batteries that would fail if you looked at them wrong and whatnot. Hell, even when I started smoking the cigar, it took me more time to master the paraphernalia than it takes a smoker to start vaping successfully today.

Now is a great time to stop smoking with vaping products for those who don't have the patience to figure it all out. Yesterday it was more complicated, and tomorrow I fear the law and various lobbying sumbitches might destroy everything that makes vaping great. But today, I love how the vaping market has turned out: still free and still wild, yet serious and professional alternatives to smoking.

eSMOKA

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years

I wholeheartedly agree. And I have to admit, in the meat world, I'm a vape snob of sorts. Not because I think I'm better or have better equipment or techniques than other vapers. But because when a smoker asks me about vaping, they are usually smoking when they ask me and I can't stand the smell of it. It's revolting to me anymore! I can smell it a mile away!

I don't want to ask them to put the cigarette out LOL so I just try to get them away from me as quickly as possible by telling them I'm not a good teacher and to go to one of the local vape shops. Which is also why, when I vape, I try to find a secluded place where the cigarette smokers don't congregate. That's not hard to do since I find that smokers tend to not want to walk far to smoke. I will walk as far as I have to to get way from that smell. lol

Sad story: Right now, it's not hot enough to justify using my air conditioning so I am using a fan in my windows. Unfortunately, a new neighbor moved into the rental house across the street and they are smokers. They go outside to smoke and if the wind is blowing the "wrong" way, I get cigarette smoke & smell in my house. I'm half tempted to use the air conditioner and send them a bill for it...with the addresses of the 2 local vape shops on the invoice lol.

xpen

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I take it too much choice can be confusing, when you're starting up with something...

So why is the Op sounding like there's not enough choices there?

I BAM
I basically can't find much on internet, i mean, italian websites and on amazon too... I can't find 40% of the best stuff i see online on forums or youtube or i can find them but the price is too high and i don't know why (like something that costs 40$ costs 60€ on amazon italy)

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Well i already ordered the thorvap 30 w arctic
That's the only thing i could afford now since you have to calculate the liquid costs...
Just wanted to point out that i'm a noob in this, i started looking up for mods like a week ago...
The Horizon Arctic was one of my first tanks, my fave for a while! You will enjoy it, but 30 watts is on the lowest end for it, it needs 40 watts and I ran it usally at 50...

If you are unsatisfied, maybe peek at theis forum at rebuildables...they can be Very affordable...as well as more powerful mods

The Horizon Arctic was one of my first tanks, my fave for a while! You will enjoy it, but 30 watts is on the lowest end for it, it needs 40 watts and I ran it usally at 50...

If you are unsatisfied, maybe peek at theis forum at rebuildables...they can be Very affordable...as well as more powerful mods
Yeah for now i am forced to stick with it because of $$$, but as soon as i can put 100€ i will...

eSMOKA

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
i can find them but the price is too high

Chinese sites are popular for Europeans and a lot of other countries for that reason.

You should check out and bookmark vapespider.com (the link in my sig). Good place to shop around for vape supplies in China and USA.

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
Wow thank you all for answering, i have a bit of stuff to get studying apparently, i thought it was easier, lol.
actually, it is easy, but there is a bit of planning required. It is kind of like doing math in reverse, where you have the answer, and just have to fill in the blank for X,Y,Z to get that answer. Your equation looks kind of like.. "Decent cloud" = (360mw/mm2) = (30W + C) where C=Coil build.
360mw/mm2 is the amount of heat from your coil. Which, as you build more, will figure in more. Do you like warmer vape? Increase the mw/mm2, cooler vape, reduce it.

Like I said earlier, build to what you have, and as you gain experience, upgrade your gear and build to what you have then.

skt239

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
When I got my first non-pen style vape (Subox mini and subtank) I would vape around 20-30 watts. Then everything went crazy with the high wattages and I followed the trend. Now I'm back to vaping at around 30w on an RDA. I've never been too concerned with Vapor production, more so with flavor, nic and throat hit.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Chinese sites are popular for Europeans and a lot of other countries for that reason.

You should check out and bookmark vapespider.com (the link in my sig). Good place to shop around for vape supplies in China and USA.
I had been using vapecrawler.com

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
When I got my first non-pen style vape (Subox mini and subtank) I would vape around 20-30 watts. Then everything went crazy with the high wattages and I followed the trend. Now I'm back to vaping at around 30w on an RDA. I've never been too concerned with Vapor production, more so with flavor, nic and throat hit.
Yep vapin .43 26 ga ss316 coil in a Subtank Mini RBA at 18 watts. Nice little cloud and flavor.

VU Sponsors