Become a Patron!

Is it true?

kirr45

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
So as I'm getting into vaping and reading new things, I noticed someone said that if you have a low battery, and still try to pull the wattage you pull, it can be dangerous.

I thought the issue with batteries is that you're pulling too much current from the overall rated power? I mean I do realize if a battery is low enough, it won't be able to put out the same "strength" to the coil but is it dangerous in the sense that you can compromise the battery? Is this still an issue with regulated mods like Vaporesso Revenger X and GeekVape Aegis?

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
In mech mods it is possible to discharge a Li battery too low which will cause it to become unstable and bad things can happen on recharging.

Never discharge a li cell below 2 volts. better to stop discharging them around 3 volts.

Regulated mods have shutoffs at around 3 volts to prevent over discharge.

Mattp169

Platinum Contributor
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
ok
everyone is correct what they are leaving out is this
It depends on the battery as well
if you are using the wrong battery at too high of a wattage setting then yes running it too low can cause damage.

If you are using good batteries made by name brand companies such as LG samsung sony and LG then you are normally fine.

Just because the mod is regulated doesn't make it safe
you throw a couple 10 amp batteries in it, discharge it to 3v per cell and run it at 150 watts you can have serious problems because you will be drawing way too many amps from those batteries

go to the link provided above. read which batteries mooch recommends and watch his videos

kirr45

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Well now i'm worried because I have the Revenger mini which is a built in battery and I've taken it down to 17%. Is there a formula or some way I can figure out what's the max battery level I can go down without risking it?

I mean I guess 17% isn't very low but then again I have to calculate the ohms and the wattage of 40-60 which I normally use.

KingPin!

In my defence, I was left unsupervised ^^
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
The revenger will cut off when I reaches its low point and can no longer maintain the set wattage...Li-Ion has no memory affect unlike your common Ni-MH AA rechargeables so feel free to charge it whenever you need to

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Well now i'm worried because I have the Revenger mini which is a built in battery and I've taken it down to 17%. Is there a formula or some way I can figure out what's the max battery level I can go down without risking it?

I mean I guess 17% isn't very low but then again I have to calculate the ohms and the wattage of 40-60 which I normally use.

Do not worry. Built in battery mods have the over discharge protection in them just like a removable battery regulated mod.
the concern I stated ONLY applies to mech mods with removable batteries.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
And as Kingpin stated you can top off your charge at any time without any harm to the battery.
You do not have to wait till it shuts down from a low battery condition.
But you mod will still keep the battery safe when it does shut down from a low battery condition. This point is usually from 2.8 - 3.2 volts. So NO WORRIES.

the percentage shown on the battery charge indicator is the percentage left until the mod reaches the battery shutdown voltage of ~ 3 volts not 0 volts.

KingPin!

In my defence, I was left unsupervised ^^
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
I did read somewhere once even though a mod stopped firing at low voltage they user continued to leave the mod on standbye for days (possibly longer)... they came back to it and the mod had continued to discharge the internal cell to a point it wouldnt accept the charge again ....something to remember whenever it reaches the cut off...turn it off as well, although it should ideally have something to protect it from over discharge and hence this situation entirely but might as well try to avoid this in the first place.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I did read somewhere once even though a mod stopped firing at low voltage they user continued to leave the mod on standbye for days (possibly longer)... they came back to it and the mod had continued to discharge the internal cell to a point it wouldnt accept the charge again ....something to remember whenever it reaches the cut off...turn it off as well, although it should ideally have something to protect it from over discharge and hence this situation entirely but might as well try to avoid this in the first place.
Thare has been a couple of mods that will do that.
But it is not common.
The ones with the LED lightshow built in and leaving them or the screen on have been known to do that.

tejas240

Member For 2 Years
Yeah, li-on batteries like when you charge them earlier rather than later. I rarely let my li-on battery in my phone go very low and it performs great for a long time, but my kids with same phone can run them down to 15 and 10 percent on a regular basis and soon their battery life is crap compared to mine.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have mods that have sat on my shelf in the on state for 2 months or so with no real drain on the battery.
But they are Kanger crap :)
I just pick em up and vape with them.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ok
everyone is correct what they are leaving out is this
It depends on the battery as well
if you are using the wrong battery at too high of a wattage setting then yes running it too low can cause damage.

If you are using good batteries made by name brand companies such as LG samsung sony and LG then you are normally fine.

Just because the mod is regulated doesn't make it safe
you throw a couple 10 amp batteries in it, discharge it to 3v per cell and run it at 150 watts you can have serious problems because you will be drawing way too many amps from those batteries

go to the link provided above. read which batteries mooch recommends and watch his videos
You will not get 150W from a couple of 10 amp batteries. Be lucky to get 60 watts for a short time.
Abusing any battery will damage it and shorten it's life at best, and worst it will violently vent on ya.

Mattp169

Platinum Contributor
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
You will not get 150W from a couple of 10 amp batteries. Be lucky to get 60 watts for a short time.
Abusing any battery will damage it and shorten it's life at best, and worst it will violently vent on ya.
ok your teaching me something new
so your saying if I put some rewraps that say 40A (which we both know they are not) but are really 10A into a 2x18650 regulated mod and set it to 150W its not going to try and fire the coil at 150W?

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ok your teaching me something new
so your saying if I put some rewraps that say 40A (which we both know they are not) but are really 10A into a 2x18650 regulated mod and set it to 150W its not going to try and fire the coil at 150W?
It will try but you will be lucky to get enough current/voltage out of the 10 amp cells to get an actual 50 watts. And that is with them fully charged.
Many/most mods only display the targeted wattage not the actual wattage.
Several will downshift the wattage and give you a low battery indication.
Kinda like trying to drive 150 mph in a Yugo, just won't do it no matter how far you push on the gas.

VU Sponsors