Become a Patron!

is my coil bad?

jworm49

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Sorry if this is a dumb question but if the coil itself has black char on it but the cotton is still pretty clean does this = a dead coil? I am confused because I am not getting a burnt taste in fact I'm not really getting much of any flavor at all. This is an ongoing issue and I figure its a combination of bad juice and possible miss use of coils. I prime well do dry fires start the watts low and all that but still having all sorts of problems. One thing I am doing is changing juice a lot in search or something good. I have been using X4's in the Baby beast flavor is good at times not at others. In the crown 3 .5's have been mostly awful .25's have been better but not great. I also have an Arco 2 That I have used a couple T6's in and a couple A6's with both I do get big dense clouds but little flavor except for when I used Halo's Tribeca which is probably the best juice I have had all around. On a good note I had a .4 Q2 Smok coil I forgot about laying around but I broke the glass On my BB tank. So I put it in my Ello min XL primed it did the pinhole trick and it has been solid for about 4 days now with Pachamama The Mint Leaf. Back to the question as I can take out the crown coils so easy I do so to see how they are looking and what I tend to see is black build up on the coils but pretty clean cotton. I see this even more so on the Arco coils. What if anything does this mean? Also thanks for all the help and tips thus far.

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The wick is probably toast.... so yeah the coilhead is probably bad a ready for the bin.

COIL themselves rarely go bad... they can last months.... this is the advantage if DIY.... you don't have to through a $5 HEAD away because $.02 of cotton is dirty.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

skt239

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Each replacement coil is going to behave differently, even out of the same pack. It all comes down to quality control and with smok that seems to take a back seat to marketing. Crown / uwell is notorious for coil issues. You will drive yourself crazy trying to find a juice coil combo that works well on all fronts. That’s why I say, just vape whatever juice you like on whichever coil you like and hope for the best. Have you though of getting a rebuildable section for either the of those tanks?

jworm49

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
The wick is probably toast.... so yeah the coilhead is probably bad a ready for the bin.

COIL themselves rarely go bad... they can last months.... this is the advantage if DIY.... you don't have to through a $5 HEAD away because $.02 of cotton is dirty.

That makes sense it just seems crazy that it happens in just a few tanks.

jworm49

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Each replacement coil is going to behave differently, even out of the same pack. It all comes down to quality control and with smok that seems to take a back seat to marketing. Crown / uwell is notorious for coil issues. You will drive yourself crazy trying to find a juice coil combo that works well on all fronts. That’s why I say, just vape whatever juice you like on whichever coil you like and hope for the best. Have you though of getting a rebuildable section for either the of those tanks?
I have been thinking about that yes. These are flavor tanks or so I thought. But from what I hear RTA/RDA is the way to go flavor wise. I just need to find something easy to learn on. I though the Vandy Vape mesh rda looked cool and easy plus you can build on it I think. Price wise most of the options seem similar as long as I have something that I can drop pre wrapped coils into and wick I think I could get it in time. I don't think I could get much more frustrated than I am right now, think I may have already gone crazy lol.

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
That makes sense it just seems crazy that it happens in just a few tanks.
It's a disposable coilhead... some people get months of life from one some get Hours. I rebuild because I kill a wick in 2 days or less. The sweeter and darker the juice and the longer it take a coil to heat and cool the faster they get dirty.

VU Sponsors