Become a Patron!

Is Nichrome OK to use in place of Kanthal?

conanthewarrior

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hi people. When I bought my first TC device, I thought it needed Nichrome, not NI200, made a mistake.

I have ran out of 26 gauge kanthal, will order some more on monday, is the Nichrome as safe to use as the kanthal is? As I got told it was a bad idea for temp control, but for normal builds is OK?

Just wanted to double check I can use this, also it would be handy if someone could name the types of wire, apart from kanthal, you can use, so I can try them in the future.

Thanks to everyone that reads my threads, and replies to help me. I have learned everything I know on here, and when I started I knew nothing. I now know off by heart battery codes, chips that power mods, how many wraps to get to a certain resistance ETC. My family say how do you know all this stuff, and can't understand how I can.

It is thanks to all of you, thats how.

Markw4mms

#Team Jimi Supporter
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I've never used it, but Nichrome is a resistance wire, and is listed in most of the coil calculator apps. I'd say you're ok to use it.

smacksy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Nichrome is all I use these days..
With a lower resistance than kanthel I can get in a few extra wraps for my targeted build and it ramps up a little faster than kanthel too ..I like it!

sent from my XT1080 via Tapatalk

conanthewarrior

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Ok, I will definitely try it out. It seems to require a bit more power to get going, say a 0.6 build on a regulated device would need 20 watts, I find the nichrome needs 23-25. Maybe it is the extra wraps?

smacksy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Can't really say... Currently my builds are between .2-.25 ohms in the Dark Horse and Doge RDA's...
That said I bump the power (w) up or down until I find my sweet spot..
Right now I'm vaping the Dark Horse with the .25 build at 75-80w ..
Also vaping the .2 build in the Doge at 60-65w..both on identical 100w IPV4's..both are hitting good!
So for me its not how many watts it may take but how it vapes that's important..that's the beauty of using a high piwered (75w+) VW mod that can handle it all..
But I can't really say if nichrome takes more power vs Kanthel given same gauge....never paid much attention to it actually..
Dual 24g Nichrome at .25 ohms in my Dark Horse..vapes great at 75-80w on the IPV4...huge clouds! Lol
62cd7b4c2300f0ea71619d7702996ce3.jpg

sent from my XT1080 via Tapatalk

ej1024

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
NICHROME is all I use!
48eb94fba569478f6a91a54b24bde2cf.jpg
.15 ohm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rhyno636

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Personally, I don't care for nichrome. I know many will disagree, but I feel like I always get hot spots with it and kanthal seems to taste better. It works though for sure.

DuckysVapeReviews

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Nichrome is just as safe if not safer than kanthal. It also has less resistance so a 24 guage nicro is more like a 20 kanthal. It ramps faster, heats hotter, and is softer. Put it this way, more competition builders use nicrome than kanthal and the "competition grade" anarchist wire is high grade nichrome. I recently switched to it myself.

DuckysVapeReviews

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Not bragging BUUUT V Rod sent me 100' of 28, 100' of 26, 100' of 24 and about 10' of 22. All Nicrome80. Still trying to figure out some cool flavor and cloud builds using these. Posted on few forums for ideas but seems people tight lipped on builds nowadays.

A lot of women have a nickel allergy from hand-washing flatware and wearing jewelry. I cannot even wear gold or surgical steel in my ears, or watches with metal wristbands, even the buckles on leather ones make me break out in summer. So I use Kanthal. This probably doesn't apply to people who do not have such sensitivities.

DuckysVapeReviews

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
A lot of women have a nickel allergy from hand-washing flatware and wearing jewelry. I cannot even wear gold or surgical steel in my ears, or watches with metal wristbands, even the buckles on leather ones make me break out in summer. So I use Kanthal. This probably doesn't apply to people who do not have such sensitivities.
You could always go gPlat if you wanna go comp level. I have heard it is a alloy of gold, platinum and some other metal.

VU Sponsors