Become a Patron!

Is Platinum Wire Safe?

kdash9

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I'm thinking about dropping the money on some platinum wire. From what I seen the coil will last almost forever and easily clean from dry burning. But is it safe?

SteelVaper

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
It honestly depends on your definition of "safe", almost any wire will release toxic chemicals at a certain temperature, however from what I've seen ni200 is the most dangerous and it's still deemed safe in TC, I'd highly recommend running platinum wire in temperature control ONLY for a while until testing has been done on it and it's deemed safe for wattage vaping, in the mean time if you're looking for an excellent TC/VW wire I'd recommend stainless steel, it's relatively safe under normal use, so long as you don't get it orange hot for too long, keep it in the dim red area.

Sent from my SM-G925P using Tapatalk

kdash9

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I have been considering SS. But the platinum, though expensive, seems worth it by the life I'll get from the coil. Is SS better than Kanthal?

SirRichardRear

AKA Anthony Vapes on Youtube
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
I have been considering SS. But the platinum, though expensive, seems worth it by the life I'll get from the coil. Is SS better than Kanthal?
In my opinion here are the best overall wires listed from best to worst
Nife (30-70 and 52/48)
SS (304,316,317,430)
Nichrome
Kenthal
Ti
Ni200
the top 4 work in TC and Watt mode. Ti and Ni200 are TC only

Not sure about platinum.

kdash9

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Never heard anything about Nife. I may look into this

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
Never heard anything about Nife. I may look into this
it's pretty dam good. The only downside of it is it's hard to find and nobody makes any "fancy" wire out of it yet.
Crazywire sells it but the rest of their wire sucks. their nife is great but their SS wire especially the SS430 sucks. I wasn't happy with them as a whole. If you can find it elsewhere go for it.

kdash9

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
it's pretty dam good. The only downside of it is it's hard to find and nobody makes any "fancy" wire out of it yet.
Crazywire sells it but the rest of their wire sucks. their nife is great but their SS wire especially the SS430 sucks. I wasn't happy with them as a whole. If you can find it elsewhere go for it.

Nice I'm gonna check them out. As far as harmful side effects I assume nife has the least?

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
Nice I'm gonna check them out. As far as harmful side effects I assume nife has the least?
not that i'm aware of

TCR - 3400

Technical Specification:
Chemical composition
Name Main Composition (%)
Fe - 45-47
Si - <0.5
Ni - 52-53
Mn - <0.05

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
Wouldn't that be bad though? Since nickel is the most toxic?
I can't 100% sure say it's not but people have been using it for years no issues in both watt and temp mode. Remember it's an alloy. Lots of alloys contain Nickel. As long as u don't have a nickel allergy your fine.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

kdash9

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Ok good. I hear nickel has gas that causes lung cancer and stuff which is why I am hesitant on nickel.

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
Ok good. I hear nickel has gas that causes lung cancer and stuff which is why I am hesitant on nickel.
If u don't feel comfortable with it then get ss wire. It's a great wire

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
What kind of life we talking... years...

Just curious as in 3 years of vaping I have never had a coil wearout..... I get bored long before I ever NEED to change a coil.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
What kind of life we talking... years...

Just curious as in 3 years of vaping I have never had a coil wearout..... I get bored long before I ever NEED to change a coil.

Lucky u. I change mine weekly. Sometimes out of need and sometimes out of want

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
NiFe has around 52% Nickel
It's the highest
Yep, that's why I won't do Ni200 and why with the high Nickel content I won't try NiFe
In your opinion which SS is best?
Mine, I really like 317L SS.
Depends. Overall I'd say 316l because it comes in tons of fancy wire. But any of them are fine. The most common 2 are 316l and 430.

I buy most of my fancy ss from advancedvapesupply.com if you are looking for just regular wire buy from temco

https://www.temcoindustrial.com/stainless-steel-wire-316l-non-resistance.html
Best SS comes from Kidney Puncher and Atomizer Wick. Both of them their wire is very clean, Smelted in Sweden and milled here in the US. So the wire is very high quality, it's the best I've found. Also both of them source their Kanthal direct from Sandvick (who "is" Kanthal, they invented it and hold the patent), top quality.

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
NiFe has around 52% Nickel

It's the highest

Yep, that's why I won't do Ni200 and why with the high Nickel content I won't try NiFe

Mine, I really like 317L SS.

Best SS comes from Kidney Puncher and Atomizer Wick. Both of them their wire is very clean, Smelted in Sweden and milled here in the US. So the wire is very high quality, it's the best I've found. Also both of them source their Kanthal direct from Sandvick (who "is" Kanthal, they invented it and hold the patent), top quality.
Nice to know. I know most vaping wire is either made in China or just temco wire repackaged and marked up. Didn't know kidney puncher made their own shit

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Nice to know. I know most vaping wire is either made in China or just temco wire repackaged and marked up. Didn't know kidney puncher made their own shit

KP is very high quality wire, not cheap but not excessively expensive either and I've got a shit load of it stockpiled. @raymo2u turned me on to it and it's excellent wire. Automizer Wick isn't as expensive and their SS is 317L and I'm starting to stock up on it, I really love 317L. Their Kanthal as I mentioned is excellent also.

Was getting my practice wire from KBee, the SS seemed alright and it's pretty cheap. But I ordered a bunch of Kanthal from them and it was filthy, I mean it turned my fingers black. I sent them an email and they replied "I'll let my staff know", nope, won't buy any more from them.

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Lucky u. I change mine weekly. Sometimes out of need and sometimes out of want

That's the point I rarly have a coil in an atty long enough to worry about longevity. Thats with Rewicking at least daily.

I have had the same coil and wick in a chalice 3 atty for almost a year.. nichrome coil and silica wick.

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Well if it's safer and lasts longer. Or maybe I'm wrong
When you use vape wire....do you vaporize the juice or the wire?

Wire... any resistance wire, is really only dangerous when you get it hot enough to start vaporizing....the metals..... that happens several hundred degrees above the Temps that juice vaporize at.......

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Well if it's safer and lasts longer. Or maybe I'm wrong
I usually get bored and rip my coils on after about a month, but I do have on build on my Kayfun V5 over 3 months and still going strong. It's a 30x2/36 @ 0.5 Ohms. I use 317L SS, great flavor, easy to work with, safe and lasts months. So IMO the cost per benefit of Platinum really isn't there.

But hey if you want to try it go for it and let us know the results.

VU Sponsors