Is saline safe in e-liquid?!

Talon4x4

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
So I see this article posted on Facebook and its saying that..."When sodium chloride undergoes heat vaporization, it produces pure chlorine gas". I have a real hard time believing that is what happening with juice that has had saline added. Now usually SpinFuel has some really great articles but I'm wondering if there is any truth to this one

http://spinfuel.com/saline-in-eliquid-is-this-smart/

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I think the chemistry is incorrect here... the saline is merely being heated. Electrolysis involves somewhat more than that. If it was that easy to produce chlorine gas we would never cook with salt!

shynsly

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
i use a 9% saline solution in my DIY and have had no problems. Saline is used in many various inhalers. I would recommend mixing a batch, keeping it in a glass bottle and refrigerated.

Good luck in the laboratory!!!

Giraut

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Saline is salt water at human body concentration. When you heat salt water - even with a welding torch - the water evaporates and leaves the salt behind. It doesn't split NaCl into Na and Cl. It's chemistry 101. Whoever invented this is spreading FUD...

Last edited:

SusanP4

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
i use a 9% saline solution in my DIY and have had no problems. Saline is used in many various inhalers. I would recommend mixing a batch, keeping it in a glass bottle and refrigerated.

Good luck in the laboratory!!!

When you make a batch, I'm assuming distilled water, but what salt? Table, kosher, something else??

Giraut

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I think he meant 0.9%, and sterile pre-made saline is sold at your local chemist. Don't mess with table salt, get the medical stuff.

SusanP4

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I think he meant 0.9%, and sterile pre-made saline is sold at your local chemist. Don't mess with table salt, get the medical stuff.

Thanks!

shynsly

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Actually if you buy a product called netti pot i believe, the packets they sell just needs to be mixed with distilled water. some people use kosher or any non iodized salt i believe. just make sure you keep it in glass and refridgerated after you open or make it.

SusanP4

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Actually if you buy a product called netti pot i believe, the packets they sell just needs to be mixed with distilled water. some people use kosher or any non iodized salt i believe. just make sure you keep it in glass and refridgerated after you open or make it.

I already have the neti pot stuff! As I was out and about yesterday, I asked at a pharmacy for saline with no additives (like they put in contact lens solution) and was looked at like I was off. She said she didn't think they had any for OTC sales. They had some behind the counter but required a prescription.

I said, "you need a script for salt water???" This wasn't a pharmacist, just an asst.

All my goodies came in, so this weekend I will be mixing a brew.

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I already have the neti pot stuff! As I was out and about yesterday, I asked at a pharmacy for saline with no additives (like they put in contact lens solution) and was looked at like I was off. She said she didn't think they had any for OTC sales. They had some behind the counter but required a prescription.

I said, "you need a script for salt water???" This wasn't a pharmacist, just an asst.

All my goodies came in, so this weekend I will be mixing a brew.

Yes, if you want to get saline from the pharmacy in a decent amount you need an rx - god knows what it's used for, but the pharmacist and I had a good laugh about this. I ended up making my own!

Giraut

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
No prescription needed here in ole Europe: they seem to recognize that salt water isn't dangerous or addictive. Imagine that...

I get saline solution at 1.50 euros per liter here, no questions asked.

SusanP4

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
The packets for my neti pot are 50-50 NACL and sodium bicarbonate Since the 2nd gets fizzy when mixed with acidic stuff, I think I'll just mix using kosher salt, which I also have in abundance

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The packets for my neti pot are 50-50 NACL and sodium bicarbonate Since the 2nd gets fizzy when mixed with acidic stuff, I think I'll just mix using kosher salt, which I also have in abundance

Yes, you don't want sodium bicarb in that! Make sure you mix it at 0.9% otherwise you'll have a salty mess!

SusanP4

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Yes, you don't want sodium bicarb in that! Make sure you mix it at 0.9% otherwise you'll have a salty mess!

Hmm Fizzy ejuice It could become a thing

Talon4x4

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Saline is salt water at human body concentration. When you heat salt water - even with a welding torch - the water evaporates and leaves the salt behind. It doesn't split NaCl into Na and Cl. It's chemistry 101. Whoever invented this is spreading FUD...

Thank you for that reply!! I thought it sounded like a bunch of BS but most of the stuff on Spinfuel has always seemed to be reliable. So I wasn't sure.

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yeah, I was astounded when I saw that idiotic post - someone must have been on another planet to write that LOL

I did find that the salt gunked up my coils for some reason. I used it for a while, and then stopped - my coils thanked me.

Mommay

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The person who wrote that article is actually an ejuice vendor. She makes organic & herbal juices. I think she's completely off-base with this & it was a scare tactic & attention-getter. I think a lot less of Spin-Fuel for running this article without doing their research.

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The person who wrote that article is actually an ejuice vendor. She makes organic & herbal juices. I think she's completely off-base with this & it was a scare tactic & attention-getter. I think a lot less of Spin-Fuel for running this article without doing their research.

Well, if she knows that little about basic chemistry, it's a little alarming she's making 'organic and herbal' juice.....

Talon4x4

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Maybe tomorrow I will send SpinFuel a little note asking them what's up with that article.

Giraut

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Well, if she knows that little about basic chemistry, it's a little alarming she's making 'organic and herbal' juice.....

So what? If I pee on my lawn, I'm also making organic herbal juice. It ain't nothing special and requires zero skills. I'd be more worried if she proposed WTA, because that on the other hand requires a solid degree in chemistry.

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
So what? If I pee on my lawn, I'm also making organic herbal juice. It ain't nothing special and requires zero skills. I'd be more worried if she proposed WTA, because that on the other hand requires a solid degree in chemistry.

I suppose because I think chemistry *is* involved in making flavorings, either natural or artificial, since exactly the same chemicals are involved whether artificial or natural. For instance, the whole diacetyl business (if one cares about that) brings to light that this particular chemical also occurs naturally. It's fine to eat it, but is it fine to vape it? I don't mean to start another discussion about diacetyl, because it's been done to death, but I do want to point out that a knowledge of some chemicals produced naturally and intended for vaping should probably be understood.

Giraut

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Well that's the thing: most people who propose "organic herbal" stuff have this New Age idea that brewing something natural is harmless by definition, because Mother Nature is good for you or something. There are a lot of crackpots here, of whom the kindest thing you can say is they haven't won a Nobel prize, who sell all manners of witch preparations and powders at the Sunday market, based on the false premise that anything made out of leaves, berries and herbs is healthy.

Usually, if you don't go wild with the plant varieties you use, you can propose herbal stuff that are reasonably safe without any knowledge of chemistry - safe in the sense that it won't kill you outright - because there is a huge body of empirical data on plants and their effects. Things like WTA or nic extraction on the other hand will produce something deadly in a hurry if you don't know exactly what the hell you're doing.

I feel its important point out some truths here about vaping saline.

Firstly, a lot of other people are talking about their lungs as though its a stomach! Your lungs DONT digest food stuffs nor do they digest salt!

Secondly, when vaped using a temp control and certain temperatures, it has traces of chloride apparently.

Lastly, we stopped smoking avoid filling our lungs with foreign molecules, the last thing you want is to have crystalising salt in your lungs. Most of it will be coughed out, but we don't want a smokers type cough.

It has been linked to collapsed lungs, and sodium entering the blood stream which then causes muscles cramp and high salt levels.

Morale....stay away from salt in your food AND your lungs!

SailCat

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I feel its important point out some truths here about vaping saline.

Firstly, a lot of other people are talking about their lungs as though its a stomach! Your lungs DONT digest food stuffs nor do they digest salt!

Secondly, when vaped using a temp control and certain temperatures, it has traces of chloride apparently.

Lastly, we stopped smoking avoid filling our lungs with foreign molecules, the last thing you want is to have crystalising salt in your lungs. Most of it will be coughed out, but we don't want a smokers type cough.

It has been linked to collapsed lungs, and sodium entering the blood stream which then causes muscles cramp and high salt levels.

Morale....stay away from salt in your food AND your lungs!

You bumped this old thread to spread misinformation?

You might want to read up around the forum and gain enlightenment prior to making your second, and hopefully more enlightened, post here. Many here could direct you to accurate information from vapers with a great deal of experience and knowledge if you'd allow us to do so.

Assuming that's the course you'll take. welcome to the forum.

VU Sponsors