Become a Patron!

Is the kayfun 5 overrated?

Vape7od

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I just got the kayfun 5 in yesterday. Built a 24ga 8 wrap with 3mm ID,.76Ω..Im a little dissapointed with the flavor.. I figured the first tank might just be to break it in but now on the 3rd tank im not really impressed with the flavor..its not bad but i was expecting much more from the reviews ive seen. I been vaping Kings crest juice- duchess reserve. Idk if i should switch the juice build a different coil or just accept that i had to high of expectations.. Whats your experience,thoughts,or advice? Thanks in advance... Peace n Mod Grease!

Sent from my LGMS631 using Tapatalk

Vape7od

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Also i get the occasional dry hit as im vaping the highest air flow openings at 27w

Lefty

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
You really shouldn't be getting dry hits at 27W. Try experimenting with your wicking. I suspect that's the cause of both dry hits and disappointing flavor. How many turns are you giving the juice control? I vape max VG and never a dry hit with 3 turns.

anen

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Also i get the occasional dry hit as im vaping the highest air flow openings at 27w

May be over rated to some of us. KFs were my first RDAs and I learned a lot about building from that experience.
I know that you got to like Moonshots , I do as well. It is hard to be impressed by any KF after finding your built and seeing Moonshot at its best.

Vape7od

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
May be over rated to some of us. KFs were my first RDAs and I learned a lot about building from that experience.
I know that you got to like Moonshots , I do as well. It is hard to be impressed by any KF after finding your built and seeing Moonshot at its best.
I was just thinkin along the same lines yesterday.. I think that maybe the kayfun just isnt my type of vape. It definitely is a nice tank and is an enjoyable vape, just not what i expected. The moonshot/goblin/mage is the tanks that typically draw me in.. And obviously the kayfun is nothin like those.. That being said i have wound up bringin and using the KF at work everday this week..lol..

Cosmic_Glaze

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I've been Vaping on T Messes, limitless rdta, Cletio Rta, ect. I just got my first Kayfun ever this week. The 5. I have been transformed. I really love it. It has better flavor then any thing I've vaped before. I just love the smooth easy air flow it has. I think I found that this is the direction I going to start vaping. Looking at the Rose 3..for my next one possibly. As far as dry hits, it has to be the wicking. Little less cotton I believe. I've been using a 2.5mm 26g 9 wraps and it been great. The 2.5 size wrap might help due to less cotton. Have not built anything else in it yet. Experimenting more this weekend.

Bigbob2322

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
Same thing happened to me until I thinned down my wick, flavor popped after that and I know own 5.

Vape7od

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I've been vaping the KF5 for about a month now.. And its probably what id consider my most reliable vape. After i learned a little more about it i realized dry hits were from not having the juice flow open enough..lol.. Everyday for the past month the kayfun has come to the construction site with me..it is my go to during work hours but barely gets any play once i get home.. However im thinkin of oredering another because its been so good to me.. It has even turned me into a vaper who prefers low-mid range wattage on single coils.. Since the KF i have only bought one tank that wasnt single coil.. All that bein said, i guess posted too soon, i just needed some time to learn the tank..

Whirlwind

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Most flavor of any tank i have ever tried.I own five now. Definitely experiment with the wicking,i use cotton and thin it out where it goes into the juice channels.Stick with it,it is so worth it!

Having played with both EHpro KF4 & SXK KF5...
Both are great for flavour...

KF4 did the reverse air screw mod to get rid of spring issues, but lost air adjustabilty.
So the draw is comparable to 3dots on KF5...

Best coil so far is 3x32g twisted 316L SS... 3.0mm ID... 7 wraps @ .9-1.0 ohms @ 20-23w
or 400-450F in TC mode for both tanks

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I got the SXK Kayfun V5 Clone to check it out. I've really been enjoying it and love the design. The ease of building, wicking, filling, etc along with the flavor is great. When in the mood for a MTL I have it on the 1st airflow level but normally use it wide open for a very restricted DTL. The flavor is awesome with at 30x2/36 SS Fused Clapton. Like it so much that now they have come down to a reasonable $119 price from a $150-$200 when they first came out.

I really, really like this Tank, perfect for when I'm out and about. Don't have to worry about annoying people at Bus Stops, walking in the City, etc. Nice Tank, really enjoy it.

Spent

Member For 4 Years
I love it I have a KF light, KF4 and the 5 The light is a little weak on vaper but it is my pocket tank for that reason. The 4 is tight draw and way to complicated but you learn it. The 5 good vape and flavor, easy one coil build. The interesting thing I have found over the years the dozen tanks each one likes or dislikes to different flavors. In other words don't give up on a tank without testing coils, wicks, heat and juices you might think this one is a dud but to find it to come alive with another setup. And then again I have a few that never worked to my liking.

burley

Picky Bearded 'Backy Bum
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Nothing has ticked off all my picky-ass checklist items of necessary features and functionality quite like the K5 has.

So much so, it's become my go-to tank. It's everything and anything I could want or need in a tank. Fool-proof wicking, great design, top fill and a tight-tight-tight draw (especially with the mtl kit, otherwise a small rubber band will suffice). Big enough tank that I don't need to tote around more than one bottle of juice. And handome, so so handsome.

Sure, I've said that before, and I'm sure I'll say it again - but I spend a ton on all this vape shit, I get horrible tanks and mods every other week or so. When something comes in that scratches an itch perfectly, I embrace it and run with it. The 5 is that tank. Good enough that I recommend the SJMY (SMJY? SMYJ?) clone to anyone looking for something worth their cash.

Overrated? I say it's under-recommended.

Whirlwind

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Nothing has ticked off all my picky-ass checklist items of necessary features and functionality quite like the K5 has.

So much so, it's become my go-to tank. It's everything and anything I could want or need in a tank. Fool-proof wicking, great design, top fill and a tight-tight-tight draw (especially with the mtl kit, otherwise a small rubber band will suffice). Big enough tank that I don't need to tote around more than one bottle of juice. And handome, so so handsome.

Sure, I've said that before, and I'm sure I'll say it again - but I spend a ton on all this vape shit, I get horrible tanks and mods every other week or so. When something comes in that scratches an itch perfectly, I embrace it and run with it. The 5 is that tank. Good enough that I recommend the SJMY (SMJY? SMYJ?) clone to anyone looking for something worth their cash.

Overrated? I say it's under-recommended.
It is the only tank i use now and the only one i have multiples of.At last count 6 Tobeco's 1 SXK 1 SMJY. All work flawlessly.I have the MTL kit as well and loads of spare parts and o rings.If you get the authentic Barrel tank then capacity goes up to 6 ml.This really is the perfect tank to me.

Lactone

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Wow this KF5 sounds like the tank to get...I think I am going to have to look into getting one...I am not, not, NOT a fan of clones, so I will have to shell out the $110 I saw it for online and grab one. All of this hype, plus the rave reviews I have watched on youtube make it seem like its worth my bucks. I currently am in love with the GeekVape Avocado (original 22mm) RDTA, and it is my go-to all day banger. I vape it in single coil mode, with the airflow just under half open, for a tight, restricted DTL vape. My other go-to tank is the Kanger Subtank Mini (ONLY with the RBA deck installed, NEVER with stock coil heads). I rock almost exclusively fused claptons in both, and comfortably vape around 30W with a 0.75ohm single coil....Think I will like the KF5?? THanks for any and all input.

I would look at the SXK @ FasTech less than $20... have one myself & works flawlessly... with the cash saved I would grab the GeekVape Ammit & Augvape Merlin... You would have a nice selection of flavour tanks & have cash leftover for some 316L SS clapton wire ( https://www.fasttech.com/product/6191912 )..

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Wow this KF5 sounds like the tank to get...I think I am going to have to look into getting one...I am not, not, NOT a fan of clones, so I will have to shell out the $110 I saw it for online and grab one. All of this hype, plus the rave reviews I have watched on youtube make it seem like its worth my bucks. I currently am in love with the GeekVape Avocado (original 22mm) RDTA, and it is my go-to all day banger. I vape it in single coil mode, with the airflow just under half open, for a tight, restricted DTL vape. My other go-to tank is the Kanger Subtank Mini (ONLY with the RBA deck installed, NEVER with stock coil heads). I rock almost exclusively fused claptons in both, and comfortably vape around 30W with a 0.75ohm single coil....Think I will like the KF5?? THanks for any and all input.
I really like it and I run a SS fused clapton it it.
When they first came out they were between $150-200 so I got the SXK Clone, like it so much I've gotten about a dozen of them. I've kept a few but have given most of them out as gifts. I like it so much I got an authentic, it's just slightly better than the SXK Clone but there is a noticeable difference.

When a high dollar device comes out I'll try the Clone, now I do expect the Clone to be not as well machined and what not but it gives a good idea if I'd like the Authentic.

Yep, very, very happy with my Authentic Kayfun V5, one of the best tanks I own and trust me I have a shit load of Tanks ;)

f1r3b1rd

https://cookingwithlegs.com/
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I think the overrated side is dependent on your experience and point of view
I've had all of the kayfuns, squapes, aquas, tyfoons and hurricanes
Out of the bunch my favorites have been the kf5 and the hurricane Jr.
I normally use an RDA but I started with rba tanks more than3 years ago and they still hold their place. For a good mtl vape, you still won't find much better than the kahfun3.1
The kf5 is a great restrictive lung vape, but its all in your build.
I vape mine with a 6wrap 3mm, fused Clapton SS316 build with dual 26g core and 32g outer wrap.
If I'm in tc mode on a DNA I vape it at 38w/410° with a 55w preheat.
If I'm using it in power more I'm normally around 40-42w

Another thing to consider is if its Authentic or clone. I usually stick with authentic but with the kf5 I picked up the authentic and 2 clones to compare for a friend who owns a vape shop.
My sxk and sjmy clones are built as well as the authentic- however the center post for airflow (under the coil) in the sxk is about half a mm narrower than the authentic, the smjy is the exact same as the authentic. This gives sxk clons a more restrictive airflow; and, has led me to have a choppy vape from it ... As a result I had to rule it out as recommendation. The smjy is a touch less on the quality of construction- only noticible to people with machinist experience- but all the measurements seem to be the same as the authentic.

Last edited:

VU Sponsors