Become a Patron!

Is the Sony VTC5 right for me?

jworm49

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Hi guys I just got a new mod. "Cylon" and when I got it I also bought some MXJO batteries that some here pointed out to me are just rewrapped 30q's that I also have a pair of. I would like to get a couple sets of new batteries for this mod and I've been looking over mooches site trying to take it all in. What I'm wondering about is mah vs amps as far as choosing what to get. Most of the time I use a fireluke mesh at .15ohm and 65-70 watts I also have a crown 3 and arco 2 that I may try some TVF8 coils in as the T6 coils have been bad for me. I noticed on my Alien before it died that with the Fireluke it said about 21-22 amps after I hit it so it got me thinking that these 20amp batteries aren't really enough. So far looking around it seems like the VTC5 would be a good mix of mah/amp rating. Just wondering what you guys think based on what I use and also any places that you may like to buy from. Thanks.

IMFire3605

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
Well for starters, I'll break it down by what I see, and suggest most times.

1) You are using a 2 battery mod, in the 65-70watts range, only question is adding that TFV8 into the equation and on top of that if you go with a coil head like the T8 (8 coil wires head) over the T6 (6 coil wires head), that extra couple of wires in the T8 coil head could bump you up in needed watts, just a forewarning.
2) The amp reading you are getting or were getting on the Alien 220W is a bit of a misleader, it is not the amps being pulled from the batteries, it is the amp reading being pushed from the control board to the actual coils. With a regulated mod, we use a "Watts" formula of "Ohm's Law", not Voltage/Resistance (Ohms)=Amps, the formula for a regulated mod, you can use either of these two formulas

Watts Set/Lowest Battery Charge before mod shutdown or Battery Error Code/Mod Control Board Efficiency=Amps

or

Watts Set/Number of Batteries/Lowest Battery Charge/Mod Control Board Efficiency=Amps

Either formula gets the same results, just plug in basic variables

1) Watts Set, what you are running or plan to run
2) Lowest Battery Charge, 18650 batteries generally run in a range of 3.0 - 3.2v per battery lowest most mods (The Alien 220W this figure is actually 2.8v), highest charge of an 18650 is 4.2v.
3) Mod Control Board Efficiency, this can range from 75% efficient to 97%, but most fall in the 90% efficiency on average, using 85 to 90% will generally get you in the ball park if you don't know.

Formula 1 example
70watts, dual battery mod, 3.2v per battery X2 = 6.4v, 90% efficiency we get

70watts/6.4v/90% (or 0.9)=12.1528amps

Formula 2 example

70watts/2=35watts per battery

35watts/3.2v/90%=12.1528amps

So as you can see from above you are well within the limits of even those Samsung 30Q's which are manufacturer rated at 15amps, but Mooch tested up to 20amps. Technically you could take those 30Q's all the way up to 115watts and still be within perfectly fine amp pull

110watts/6.4v/90%=19.0972amps
115watts/6.4v/90%=19.9653amps

Though at those wattages runtime is going to suck no matter what 20amp battery you use.

50watts per battery and below, any of the 3 3000mah, 20amp batteries (Samsung 30Q, Sony VTC6, and LG HG2) will suit you better than more amps.

70watts per battery, then the Sony VTC5A (take note of the "A" this is the newer model of the VTC5 and is 25amps where the older VTC5 is only 20amps), LG HD2, HD2C, and HD4 25amp batteries come into play

85watts per battery, then the LG HB2, 4, and 6 1500mah 30amp bad boys come into play

As far as battery vendors, there are a few very reputable options available
North America (US, Can, Mex)
Liionwholesale.com
illum.com
imrbatteries.com
orbtronic.com
RTDVapor.com

UK/EU
batteriesplus.co.uk
fogstar.co.uk
nkon.nl (Netherlands)

jworm49

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Thank you so much for this very helpful and easy to understand information!

VU Sponsors