Become a Patron!

Is there negative side effects of having batteries drawn at max drain?

I was hoping to make a crazy low ohm (Around 0.1-0.15) cloud chasing build with 22g kanthal a1, but the max wattage I would be able to use would be 127 which is my sweet spot. I'm just wondering if there can be any negative side effects to my batteries if I have it constantly pushing out 35a. My batteries are Efest 2500mah 35a 3.7v (x3)

Jon@LiionWholesale

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
First of all, the 35A on Efest batteries is very aggressive. The batteries they use under the wrapper generally have a max rating of more like 20A.

Secondly, yes the harder you use a battery the faster it wears out. Especially if it's getting hot, then it will wear out even faster. By wear out I mean it will not hit as hard and will not last as long.

I will only briefly mention the safety aspects here because I think they're obvious, but obviously the other issue is you have much less margin of error if you're pushing your batteries really hard. If something goes a little wrong like a stuck button or damaged component in your mod, you're much more likely to have an vented battery, so that's the other issue.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
First thing is that there are no 35 amp CDR 18650 batteries.
It is likely a 20 amp battery at best.
Efest has a long history of overstating the discharge ratings on their batteries.

Draining batteries at amps near their maximum CDR rating will shorten their life quite a bit.

Draining batteries at a rate above their maximum CDR rating CAN cause venting and other undesirable results.

VU Sponsors