Become a Patron!

Is this build safe?

Hello I am new to Rdas,
Can you please help.
I want to safely use my therion 166 with twisted messes 24 rda.
My minimum resistance is 0.15 in wattage mode.
0.08 in Temperature control mode.

I have 2 kenthal/nichrome coils clocking in at 0.08ohm.

I've been using this in Temperature control mode but don't have a preset. Is this safe?

If not can anyone tell me some premade coils I can purchase that would be best for my setup, i have been vaping for around 3 years now and really look for flavor over clouds and why I switched to rda's

Thank you

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
No because you are using NON TC Materials. So while you are withing ohm spec for TC ypu are out of spec for the wire... which is to be used regular regulation or non regulated at .15ohm or more.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

No because you are using NON TC Materials. So while you are withing ohm spec for TC ypu are out of spec for the wire... which is to be used regular regulation or non regulated at .15ohm or more.

I thought so, but I read somewhere that using kenthal and nichrome would be safe under TC because it has a higher resistance to heat than other wires.. I'm a complete noob at this point but maybe I misunderstood or I was led wrong? Thank you for your reply

I ordered someFused Clapton Coils 316L SS 28gx2/40g. 0.42ohm
So dual would be .21 ohm I assume
And I would use this under my tc mode SS 316.
Safe now?
Could I use this on power mode and also be safe? Or should I stick to tc ss316 if it's safe

Mattp169

Platinum Contributor
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
ss can e use din power or tc and with the specs you gave yes your fine to use either

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I thought so, but I read somewhere that using kenthal and nichrome would be safe under TC because it has a higher resistance to heat than other wires.. I'm a complete noob at this point but maybe I misunderstood or I was led wrong? Thank you for your reply
May be safer for Tc... Problem is there are only like 1 or 2, high dollar mods on the market capable of regulating high resistance wire.

Fwiw. You will get better performance if you build to the middle if the ohm range rather than the extremes.

You got a 100 watt plus mid you don't NEED to build low.

May be safer for Tc... Problem is there are only like 1 or 2, high dollar mods on the market capable of regulating high resistance wire.

Fwiw. You will get better performance if you build to the middle if the ohm range rather than the extremes.

You got a 100 watt plus mid you don't NEED to build low.

I see, by better performance you mean better Flavor? What ohm do you recommend? Only reason I went so low was because I thought it would mean better flavor lol.

I ordered 2 .42ohm SS coils. So 21ohm dual. Do you think this would be good performance ?
Thanks again

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Flavor is about balancing coil surface area with wattage fed and heat produced.....

Low ohms is how you got high wattage in the days before regulation existed...... so if you wanted a big flavor making coil. You need to pump out watts to heat a big coil...... unregulated that mean big wire and low ohm.... but if you have regulation that boosts and reduces voltage to the coil you don't need to build lower ohm to get a bigger coil.... you could just add wraps and go to a higher ohm instead.. same resulting coil size same resulting wattage needs..... issue with high ohm is it take high volts to get high wattage....

When I say performances I'm speaking more electrically... flavor is subjective .... see I vape for flavor.. yet I rarely build lower the .3ohm or vape higher than 30watts.... while I don't care one bit about clouds. . The wife bitches about them all the time.

Flavor is about balancing coil surface area with wattage fed and heat produced.....

Low ohms is how you got high wattage in the days before regulation existed...... so if you wanted a big flavor making coil. You need to pump out watts to heat a big coil...... unregulated that mean big wire and low ohm.... but if you have regulation that boosts and reduces voltage to the coil you don't need to build lower ohm to get a bigger coil.... you could just add wraps and go to a higher ohm instead.. same resulting coil size same resulting wattage needs..... issue with high ohm is it take high volts to get high wattage....

When I say performances I'm speaking more electrically... flavor is subjective .... see I vape for flavor.. yet I rarely build lower the .3ohm or vape higher than 30watts.... while I don't care one bit about clouds. . The wife bitches about them all the time.

I see what you mean, I should have been more informed before purchasing all those coils lol. Do you think pre made atomizers are in the same level as a high ohm rda? I think more smok tank used 1.5 ohms or something like that, the flavor was ok, I did get better flavor than my rda but I thought maybe my wicking might have been off, but definitely the ohms.

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I see what you mean, I should have been more informed before purchasing all those coils lol. Do you think pre made atomizers are in the same level as a high ohm rda? I think more smok tank used 1.5 ohms or something like that, the flavor was ok, I did get better flavor than my rda but I thought maybe my wicking might have been off, but definitely the ohms.

Coilheads are a completely different animal.... in that you don't know what the ohm means technically.... I can make a .2ohm coil from any wire you give me..... but there's a big difference between such a coil made with 32awg vs 26awg..... Fwiw the 32 will be hotter but the 26 will make more heat. Just due to the amount of metal in each coil.

Manufactured coils tend to be low ohm means big wires and big coils. Above 1 ohm tends to be very low wattage sub 20 range intended use. Most manufactures build to the extremes. .. they build for max wattage outputs..... so low ohm and lots of wire.....

If i missed it you need to play with the stuff on steam-engine.org. coil building calculator for sure that will help you understand what is happening. There are also battery safety calculators. And one that you can plug mod info into... gives an Idea of the ohm range that your mod should have overall best performance. Tell you how high an ohm you can build and have all your wattage available.

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
Remember.. it isn't only wire type that affects resistance... it is thickness also. I use 32ga stainless steel in my RBA. (i use a 3 strand parallel coil)

Now here is something you don't want to hear, but I'm telling you anyway. There is absolutely no reason to build below 0.10 ohm on a regulated (TC) mod. It is self defeating. Low ohm builds are ONLY for maximizing power on mechanical mods and even then ONLY for expert, competition level cloud chasing. Since on a regulated mod, resistance has very little to do with power, you should be building higher resistance, larger coils and look at the temperature (Heat Flux) to get the vape you like. For example.. which would you say gives better flavor.... 2 wraps of alien wire, or 6 wraps? Same as clouds.. which produces more... 2 wraps or 6? Of course, 2 wraps has lower resistance... but 6 wraps provides the better vape.

For flavor.. you will want something like a 2 strand parallel core clapton coil, Dual coil. The more juice the coil can trap, the better the flavor will be. I generally use 24 to 28ga for my core wires and 32ga stainless steel for my wrap. ( I use 32ga because it is easier to see and my eyes aren't what they once were. )

The only limitation is how much power you have to work with.

champton

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hello I am new to Rdas,
Can you please help.
I want to safely use my therion 166 with twisted messes 24 rda.
My minimum resistance is 0.15 in wattage mode.
0.08 in Temperature control mode.

I have 2 kenthal/nichrome coils clocking in at 0.08ohm.

I've been using this in Temperature control mode but don't have a preset. Is this safe?

If not can anyone tell me some premade coils I can purchase that would be best for my setup, i have been vaping for around 3 years now and really look for flavor over clouds and why I switched to rda's

Thank you

The only mods I'm aware of that can even do TC on Kanthal are Hohmtech mods, and those are regulated boxes, so you'd really have to eff up to get one of those to blow. I know on the Hohm Slice (which is the one I have) you can almost go down to a dead short. If you're really wanting to use Kanthal coils in TC mode, that would be your best bet afaik. Just keep in mind it uses a 26650 battery, not an 18650, so you would probably have to buy a battery as well if you decide to go this route.

VU Sponsors